feckin g60...the end? seems so :-)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Riley, Oct 15, 2005.

1. rradogolfman Forum Member

that is very strange,, i need to have a think
    G60 lambda is a 3 wire,
    one signal one heater+ and a shared earth,, even though its a 4 pin plug the earth at the bottom near the engine mount loops from the connector back up to the mount onto that 10mm nut,, i`ll have to have a check for thet black wire,, [:s]
    hmm thinking out loud on the net not a good idea but hey

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

aye,i dont really know what im looking at/doing from here now [8(]

but according to the link above pin 6 of the ecu connector is as follows...

pin 6:Ground (Sensors)
    throttle switches
    OXS
    Hall sensor
    Coolant temp.
    CO pot/Air temp. --- brown/white

all these had continuity to pin 6 except the oxs? thats the lambda right? [:s]
    Edited by: riley

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

riley....get sam(mrkrad)of vortex from sns on the messenger...he will know

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

will do steve :thumbup: ill go update that thread now,i think he will throw his opinion in and hopefully shed some light on it.

i just cant feckin understand it [:s]

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

get him on the messenger...he can talk the legs of a donkey

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

According to a G60 ECU wiring schematic I have here, the lambda sensor signal wire has a screen around it, which is earthed at one end only. Which would explain why the earthed wire is snipped at one end. Though I would expect it to be a coaxial cable. So if that 'broken' wire is earthed at the lambda sensor end, then that'd make sense to me.

All of my diagrams (from various sources) show that the ONLY straight connection from lambda sensor to ECU connector is on connector pin two, which is the lambda signal.

Pin six is shown as a common for the throttle switches, hall sender and air temp sensor / CO potentiometer.

Riley, you quoted this:

I have got the same document and I think that is bollocks - the 'OXS' should not be included there because pin six provides a common ground for the things mentioned above only.

So, to recap: Only one physical wire connection between lambda sensor and ECU connector. This is pink or purple wire from sensor into pin 2. There is also an earth wire running in parallel between lambda sensor and ECU plug but this is connected lambda sensor end only. The two other wires to the lambda sensor are for the heater, one of which is earthed and the other goes to the fuel pump positive.

By the way, have you looked into reading the fault codes?
    Edited by: Trev16v

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

thanks trev,the thing is though,where does the lambda earth then? [:s]

so i havent found the problem [:^(]

steve,ill give the chap on vortex a shout :)

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yep,see above trev(edit:previous page sorry),it didnt work [8(]

9. Trev16v

The lambda sensor must earth itself via the body of the sensor - someone correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

Have you read the fault codes (if any) from the ECU? Do you know how to do it? I could even send you a suitable resistor and LED in the post..

Edit: Sorry, I did't see your response..

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

[8(]

11. Trev16v

Can you show me the schematic you used to make the 'reader' and tell me what sort of LED you used?

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

13. Trev16v

I have an ECU on the bench here with a standard LED and 2K2 series resistor and it is happily winking away fault codes at me.

To rule out your LED, I could post a similar LED and resistor to you in the morning if you PM me your address.

14. Trev16v

By the way Riley, does the LED remain illuminated before you press the button?

What my G60 ECU on the bench right here is doing is:

ECU powered up - LED is now on, and stays on.

Hold down button for ages. LED remains on.

Release button. LED goes OFF. Then a second later, starts reeling out the fault codes.

So the LED should be illumated from the word go before you press the button. In fact, you will also see it 'blink' ever so slightly every few seconds. If it's always totally OFF when the button is not being pressed, please check whether you really are connecting to the fault code pin on the ECU. This is pin 20 on the ECU's connector. Do a continuity test.

15. v_funk New Member

The lambda earth is on to the engine mount afaik.

16. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ah,from the below pic,i can see why my led was only lighting when i earthed it. [:s] what the feck is goin on man?

i have no pin on number 20 [:x] [:^(]

[​IMG]

cheers m8,i know that the lambda probe is earthed to the engine mount,but i thought the earth ran to the ecu,why the feck would vw run an earth all the way through the loom to nothingness? [:x]

17. Trev16v

Does it look like someone has been pissing around with the connector? I suggest you bodge a bit of wire in or something to get access to that pin. Do it. Do it. Do it! [:D]

Don't worry about that. If it's a coaxial cable, then that earth serves to 'screen' the high impedance signal from the lambda sensor, i.e. screen electrical interference. Doesn't look like coax cable, though... but a diagram I have here shows that earth as being a 'screen' around the signal, bonded to earth at one end only.

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers trev,im gettin propper feckin wound up just sat here thinking about it [:x]

everything looked as it should from what i could tell,just the weird earth that got me really.

i may actually go and open the garage right now,and see if i can get a connection to that pin 20.

edit:in fact what about the earth and power connections? use the ones under the gear lever surround like i did before?

or will any 12v and earth do?

19. mk1. Forum Junkie

yep pin number 20 is spare,no test data available or random digital signal acording to autodata,it might be time to bite the bullet and get a diognostic check done [8(]

20. Trev16v

Yeah I wonder if anyone can confirm whether the Corrado G60 loom does have a connection to the diagnostics pin? I assumed that all supercharged VWs with their Digifant I ECUs had a connector under the dash somewhere. I know my mate's G40 has, and I'm sure Golf / C G60's should. Actually coming to think of it, it sounds like you did find this connector. So maybe you'll find a snipped wire somewhere...? Odd.

It has to be pin 20 too, by the way - the function is not duplicated on any other pin.