Feeler: Mk2 Quick Ratio non-PAS Racks

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by tobyk, Dec 28, 2007.

1. swaffGTI Forum Member

2. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Right then that's enough people confirmed to get a quote from Quaife I reckon. I'll wait for Chris Eyre to reply to my PM regarding the best way to go about this as I believe he has dealt with them before.

3. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Had completely forgotton about your post mate! Did you come to any agreement with Quaife, or did they just recommend to get 5 commitments first?

4. Neal H Forum Member

Any progress with this lads?

5. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

No, maybe Chris didn't get my PM. Sent him another.

Should hopefully get this on track soon if all the people interested are still interested!

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sorry, got your pm Toby - can oil cogs at Quaife as needed.

Numbers coming well, but just the key issue being the spline. Logically they'd struggle to do low numbers on two spline types.

With numbers coming along, next stage is to plan which spline, and then plan to get a sample rack to them.

Which year did the spline change?

7. VRSteve Forum Member

would they do one for a mk3???

i think the mk3 is pos heading towards track car so PAS would need to go.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

If the Mk3 manual rack has a resemblance to the Mk2, it would jump the hurdle of getting Mk3 numbers up.

9. 486NPO Forum Member

Just seen this- still interested as my car has a hideously slow rack (3.9 lock to lock-ugh!)

Any news Chris?

Nick

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I think we probably need a bit more research on this - rack types, Mk3 similarities.

Then there's a plan - Quaife are either asked about 1 rack type or >1.

Then a group buy can be put to Quaife, with a clear goal.

Might need a rack similarities 'investigation' thread to get there.

11. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

An investigation as you put it would be a good idea. I've asked a few people on Club Polo if they know what size their splines are, but nobody seems to. I don't know where to look really.

I am going to a scrappy tomorrow which usually has a good few VAGs so if I can get stuff apart I'll be able to check Polos and Ibizas hopefully.

Will the steering rack be the same as Passats as well? Or are they wider?

12. swaffGTI Forum Member

from my experience early and late splines are the crossover between 12 and 6 point splines, no difference between gti and driver.

One from a late driver was 6 point

One from an early 8v gti was 12 point

Surely the splines between golfs can be swapped so the only compatability issues are for mk3's and others?

still interested toby, you found anything out?

13. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Right bringing this back up again.

Obviously I'd like to do my best to find out as much info as possible regarding splines but I am struggling. Can anyone suggest a better method? I've just randomly checked cars at the scrappys but it's a pain in the **** to unbolt half the front end of a car to check splines :lol:

I'll admit, I thought this would be easier and maybe should have researched things further first.

14. RichLew New Member

Count me in for a rack too, I'll change whatever else I need to, to suit.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Is this for the GTI Championship Rich?

16. RichLew New Member

I'm only dreaming of the championship at the mo. Would like a quicker rack for trackdays etc. Havent looked at the regs but I would guess a quicker rack isnt permitted.

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep :thumbup: it was outlawed.

18. RichLew New Member

You can count me in for two of these now- a friend wants one too

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

20. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Have started a thread asking for info on racks. If anyone can think of anything that would differ, please let me know, and I'll edit the original post.