First Car

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Luke15, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Mr.LaZy Forum Member

2. spaced Forum Member

What I did too. I loved my 1.3, it was quite pokey really for a first car. :lol:

3. TDB86 Forum Member

Lissen to most of the ppl on here. They are all talking sense and have a bit more experiance in this area.

Im off to uni in 3 weeks and have just brought myself a jetta gti. Ive got just under two years driving experience with pass plus under my belt with one years no claims and it will be costing me 1168 to insure my gti, but i do have 3 points on my licence aswell.

Start off with a polo and give it a couple of years and then start thinking GTI. I mean i dont want to sound a bstard but i dont think you would handle the power of a GTI TBH and we dont want you doing anythin stupid like dying etc.

4. Mr.LaZy Forum Member

well sayed :lol: :lol: :p

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

With Great power, comes great responsibility! :p

6. davidvsb Forum Member

My first car was a 1 litre polo with a few mods. When you start off you
    dont want anything too special as just about everyone (including me)
    crashes within the first three years. If you are desperate get a gti for track
    days and talk your parents into a tow bar and a trailer. ;)

My wee polo (oh how I miss the way it started first time everytime)

[​IMG]

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

I'd loved that as my first car! Shame mine was a mk2 squareback 1.0L! :lol:

8. eamon1.3 Forum Member

Just do what i done, go buy a 1.3 mk2 golf with a big hole in the gearbox, their really cheap. Would like to tell you that it drives well but it hasnt moved in the 3 weeks ive had it. [:^(]. That will hopefully change on sat though

9. sony Forum Member

I've got a Mk3 Golf SE (1800cc engine) and love it. It's a bit of a pain as I've got to keep fixing little things but I realise how good it is as the side of newer cars.
    I'm 22, and only been driving 5 months now, it cost me 127/month to insure it. Worth every penny IMO.. It pulls so well, just what is needed. I'll get a GTI next yr as I've always wanted one but I'm sure it wont be much different unless I got a 16v.

Tried a Polo 1.2 this morning ( 52reg) and my god I just couldn't believe what a load of pooe that was. I stalled twice I had to rev it so much! 1.4 isn't much better but doable, if you can afford it I'd go for a 1.6!

10. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Anyone that spends close to 1000 a year on Insurance want their heads examining tbh

11. monza 16v Forum Member

Why ?
    My first car was a mk1 gti.
    Yeah the insurance was expensive but so what ? I could afford it, I had dreamed about owning a mk1 gti so I went out and bought one. All my mates were driving about in 1.0 novas, etc. I never had any prangs and didn't get any points. If you want to go out and buy one and you are prepared to pay the insurance then go for it mate :)

12. sony Forum Member

Depends what you want to with your money in life. I started driving 4 months ago and started in a pooy 1.0 polo.... Never again!

I'd rather spend my money on a decent motor ( unfortunately insurance is on the high side yes) and have fun with it.

13. mothy Forum Member

man i'm not reading this thread BUT:

if you want a GTi buy a GTi you'll pay 1k for insurance, so what - if you can afford it do it..

if you want a 1.3 special you'll still pay 600 for the PLEASURE & driving experience.

I'd go for a GTi (had SRi E130 Cavalier as 1 of my 1st cars) - you'll probably crash it but thats part of the fun..

14. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Give it a few years and you'll see where all those thousands you threw away on insurance should have gone.

15. JJ VDUB Forum Member

Just do the math.

I was paying 1700 fully comp on a mk3 1.6 cl when I was
    then 19, insurance down to 900 with 1 yrs no claims

then 1000 on a mk2 16v gti when I was 20 for a year.

I'm now 22 with 3yrs no claims. 575 fully comp on a mk2 valver.

If I had got a 900cc fiesta to start with and put up with it for 3 years, lets see what I could have saved.
    I had a quote on a 900 when I first past test, was 600 quid, I will assume this would not have falen each year.

Tax = 3 years 60 quid cheaper?? (someone correct me)..180 quid.
    servicing = 110 for VW.. 65 for ford165 quid
    Insurance yr1 = 1700 VW 600 Ford..1100 quid
    yr2 = 900 for VW 600 Ford.. 300 quid
    yr3 = 1000 for GTI 600 Ford 400 quid

So, If I had bought a crapy ford fiesta, not including petrol, I would have saved myself over the last 3 yrs.

Give or take 2Grand. So, now add on the money I spent buying the 2 cars I owned.3.5K for mk3 (sold for 2.5k) thats 1grand loss. Brings the total to 3grand. Plus 1400 on my GTI.

I would have 4.4K to spend on a nice golf GTI today and my insurance would be 575 fully comp!!!!!

This has to be the way to do it. Life really starts to get better when you turn 20, trust me, just be patient. Then you will be able to get yourself a nice VR6 Mk2 when all your mates are still driving crappy pugs and financed 206 GTIs.

16. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

alot of people here are saying 'i had a gti as a first car and i only paid xxx to insure it' thats all well and good but how long ago did you do this? insurance prices have gone crazy in the last few years so its not always a valid comparisom.

Hell, i paid 700 f/c on my first car (1997 i think) in my own name but i'd bet if i was 17 and doing the same today it would cost me double that.

looking back, although my first car was fast for what it was i am so glad i didn't/couldn't afford a gti as tbh i would have probably killed myself.

And i agree with mr jarvis, paying out a four figure sum for insurance on a first car is madness-in fact i personally would never ever pay a four figure sum for insurance-those b'stards make enough money as it is, and besides, i have better things to spend the money on.
    Edited by: beaniegti

17. sarah16v Forum Member

Agreed, but i did only pay 1000 on a mk1 16v gti at 17 10 months ago, surely they can't have gone up that much since then. Dont think insurance is the issue if you can afford to pay it then pay it. Its the driving experience and you need to think will i be bored and want something faster in 6 months, anything faster is silly money and with limited experience that many cameras about its bye bye licence - this is purely do as i say not as i do :lol:

18. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

wow, you did well :) , but you do have gender on your side ;)

a friend of mine learnt to drive 12 months ago at 22, he struggled to insure a ford ka for less than 1200.

Another lad i know was paying nearly four figures to insure a 1.2 corsa.

You must live in a saintly neighbourhood :lol:
    Edited by: beaniegti

19. Steve B Forum Junkie

i passed my test in a 1.6 driver jetta, then about 6 months later just urned 18 i got a 1.8 GTI 16v jetta insurance was about 1100 i think

drove that then it rusted away so had to scrap it so then i got my second gti 16v jetta and now im 21 coming on 22 and im still driving it, never had a major accident or a speeding fine in all them years (well unless that blasted speed camera got me the other day i suppose we will see in the next few weeks)

i loved every minet of my gti and sill do

i am lucky tho as im on my parents insurance, and they also pay my insurance, otherwise i wouldne be driving at all i doubt

still with no no claims i couldnt dream of insuring my gti for less than 1000 i think were paying about 700 now....

20. Luke15 New Member

TBh though, i have been doing some serious thinking, and i dont want o
    loose my liscense as soon as i get it, so i think ill leave the gti's
    ect for a while until im abit older.

When im 17 ill be looking for a 1.4 or 1.6 golf, polo, or similar.

thanks for all the advice. Very very useful to find people with such
    experience as hardly any of my mates in real life know a thing or two
    about cars in general [:s]