First Car

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Luke15, Aug 31, 2005.

1. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

I went from an '86 8v to a '91 16v and when i first drove my 16v i was a tad disappointed. The trouble is, if you really build up a car in your mind the reality is often a let down. I found this with the mk3 vr6.

However, given more miles you relax more and begin to assess in a more balanced manner. Believe me, a 16v is massively quicker than a driver and even the 8v gti is a much stronger performer.

On the insurance front i just got a quote on my 16v for 315 f/c and with protected no claims [:D]

2. Yorkie Forum Member

This is probably what I suffered from when I drove a Ferrari F355 round Thurxton. But then that might have been because I unfamilar of driving round a track and didn't really enjoy the moment of driving my first Ferrari.

Cheers, Jamie
    Edited by: Yorkie

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

You absoolute rebel

4K you must be feckin mental[:|]

[:[]

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

LOL :lol:

Sorry, i think ive wet myself. [:$]

5. Yorkie Forum Member

Rev it beyond that and it just makes more noise but doesn't go any quicker......after all it's only a Driver.

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must be just your driver then :lol:

7. Steve B Forum Junkie

yeah when i first got my 1.6 it was slow as, but after id reved it to about 11k for a few months (lol) it opend up and went like stink i mean it was a heavy slow 1.6 but could match a 1.4 Ford ka anyday of the week especially once into second gear, in first it was neck and neck

and my 16v, it was like getting into to a rocket when i first drove that, it was the most awesome thing ever! id never driven any faster cars at that time tho but i couldnt believe it!

if you dont hold on all the way to 7k tho its no fun lol (can see why my car does about 10mpg hehe)

it was funny not long ago, my dad got a honda prelude, one of the 2.2 vetec ones, he was driving it around like he did his old jag, never above about 4 - 5k and he came home and said he was quite dissapointed with the performance

so i had to sit him down and explain what vetec was how it worked, and that he has to drive it untill he hit the red line

now he thinks its the fastest car on the plannet even faster than his jag, and that was a 6.0L V12 TWR tuned beast lol! (automatic tho :( )

8. b'locks Forum Addict

4k is pushing it hard?

4k is just where the fun begins tbh!!! [:s]

9. its_a_g_thing Forum Member

iam 17 and have got my driving test in the morning. i got a cheap lupo1.0 last year had have been doing little bits to it.
    trust me dont get a gti unless you want to pay alot of money to insure one. best bet like has been said is to start small. then work upwards.
    but if you are thinking about a lupo gti and have that money to spend on one as a first car then i carnt see the insurance coming into it

10. monza 16v Forum Member

For fuck sake, when did this become club driver ?
    If someone wants to buy a GTI then who are we to talk him out of it ? Go for it, it's well worth paying the extra in insurance to drive a GTI compared to a 1.3 or a driver.

11. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

wow snap i did the exact same thing although my fiesta was a 1.1 :p

it felt great when i got my mk3 1.4, miss it like mad, here it is. go for looks at your age, not speed!
    [​IMG]

take our advice and you will go far my son :lol: ;) [:D]

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

Sorry but wasting money on insuraing a GTI instead of a driver is madness

But if he wants to urine thousands away each year thats up to him

13. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

sod it, go buy a R32...

14. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

Phatvr6's roddo is for sale if you want that ;) :lol: