From 8v to 16v and why you should make the change NOW !!

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by A.N. Other, Apr 16, 2011.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Well I never :o I've had a Mk2 16v in storage for 4 years, finally got it on the road this week, and what a hoot to drive it is!

Back in the day, I skipped this step and went straight from an EA111 1272cc to a 200+ bhp TB'd 16 valver, so never really checked out the factory offering.

Loads of torque, rude acceleration, great induction noise, and - on a private test track - it seemed poor form to keep it under a ton.

Sell your 8-valves!

Many thanks to the 8AS's, Danster for supplying not only a replacement main fuel pump for it, but the lift pump too! :lol:

2. danster Forum Addict

It is a pity the 16v masif are not so quick in helping out the 8v dudes. [xx(]

I have 16v dudes queuing up to be my friend on Facetube, but due to their slow and lazy attitude to helping out their fellow VW 8valver in the way I helped out the PFFMV members, their applications to be my friends lie unattended and scorned at each time I log in.

I can only put their lack of helping out their fellow VWer down to the worry of being whipped by the lesser valved variant. :lol:
    Word on the street is a fellow PFFMV has sold up his 16v kit too. ;)

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Oh contraire! This is due to the sacriligous attitude of the 8AS being willing to break up greater models to deplete the populus! The PFFMV wouldn't do such a thing! :lol:

Pfft, would this be the same PFFMV owner with a 16v FSI motor still in the stable? [​IMG]

4. danster Forum Addict

Dooble au contraire! It was my breaking of a 16v car to supply you with parts that enabled your vehicle in the OP to come back to life. [:s]
    And the parts I required were surplus to a 16v build and to help an 8v. Double standards from the PFFMV if ever there was. [:x]

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

You both lack boost though.

6. danster Forum Addict

Boost is for the [​IMG]

Any amount of valves NA FTW!

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Trois au contraire!!

Pfft, such a selflessly generous marketing message from the 8AS there, carefully sidestepping the dealing in redundant salvage & making the best out of a bad job!

8. Funky Diver Forum Member

Were they or were they not 16 valve parts?

I believe so... thereby, by your own proclamation... 16 valves have "redundant salvage"... aka 8 valves too many.

Ergo... weigh the extra 8 valves in... thereby making the salvageable items less redundant... I shall happily oblige and provide a "light" if you haven't yet seen it. ;)

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I was not buying or selling valves!

Anyway, "the 16v driving experience". Discuss!

10. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

If you are willing to donate a small sum of monies, approx €500, I will sort out my EV front shockers and CV joints.

Then, I will permit you to drive a proper GTI. Do not forget that VW refer to the two cars as:

THE GTI

a 16v

There is only one car designed and built by VW that can be called THE GTI.

Which is:

THE Mk2 GTI[:*:]

But, lots of other cars which have 16v badges on the hatch![xx(]

Acceleration is not the be-all and end-all of performance. Just ask any BM M3 owner trying to keep up with an RS4 around the twiddly bits?;)

Just some of the advantages of the THE GTI when compared with a 16v are:

Less, uneeded, weight over the front wheels. = Less understeer.:thumbup:

Less overall weight?. = Better braking.:thumbup:

Especially if you have THE GTI EV 'Basic' lightweight. Did they ever make a 16v 'Basic' in RHD?[:s]

Less weight. = More nimble.:thumbup:

Higher suspension. = Better ride and handling through the pot holed lanes we all enjoy ourselves on.:thumbup:

There must be a lot more reasons, but, I am too bored with this stupid argument which 16v owners will never understand, even if one were to bash it in with a lump hammer.

Basically I can't be ar5ed to waste good banter time on 16v rubbish any more!

FIN!

11. Golfamily7 Forum Member

When is the clubgti 8v rolling road day?

16v ftw

12. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

As I recall from Curbourogh last year you either needed 20 valves + 4 wheel drive + a turbo OR N/A 8v to be at the top of the list :lol:.

Seriously, I've never driven a 16v vw of any sort [:$], it's interesting that Chris reckons it stands on it's own merits even after all this time. They still seem to be available for pocket money prices, that said I've no desire to get one but I should look in to having a go in one for reference.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That was September. In May, the 16v N/A prevailed! :thumbup:

Definitely worth a go. When you sit there and think 'okay, it's 25 years old, so how fast is it going to be?'... and I'm sure it's not that fast, but the character of it when you stick the boot down, it's all there, to the point where you think 'wasn't this just a little bit outrageous for 1986?'

14. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

I had exactly the same feeling (getting back to the original post) when I drove my Monza Blue 16v. After building the red 2042cc and then moving onto the 200sx it was a real surprise going back to a std 16v Mk2 and finding out just how much of a laugh they are to drive :)

15. Funky Diver Forum Member

To be fair... I thought that about Sam Fox, but then some things should be left in 1986.

16. danster Forum Addict

She certainly was outrageous. Wearing ripped denims for example. :o
    I am not complaining though, as it makes me wearing my trashed Wranglers appear marginally fashionable in an 80s retro style. :lol:

17. danster Forum Addict

Just had a look on the Youtube. [:^(]

Sam Fox = A very poor Debbie Harry (this equation is based on info and pics from the 80s as they are both in their 90s now) [xx(]

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

8v retro ftw

19. smp1987 Forum Member

:thumbup:

8v K-jet GTI instant power no lag = Win :lol:

Cant see why you would need 16

When you can have more fun with 8

(Less is More Gents)

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

What lag? This 16v of mine, loads of torque.