Funkbaron's mk2 Golf VR6 transplant thread (update pg15)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by funkbaron, Sep 22, 2006.

1. INSANE_BIKER New Member

very nice install there ...

wonder if you can give me a few pointers on mine ???

how did you wire up the speedo ???

also i ran mine the other day and the fans did not kick in at all the (electric water pump works as you can hear it when you turn the ignition on) , i killed the engine as it got to 110 degs then the fans kicked in whne i killed the engine ?????

2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I used the mk3 VR6 speedo in the end, there's a guide to that on the previous page. It doesn't need anything special to run, just need to jump two plugs.

As for the fans - there's so many different types of fan control units, I had loads of wiring diagrams printed off and not one matched my car - on some the unit controls the aux water pump (which it sounds like it does on yours) on others the pump is controlled by the main loom, like mine where you need to get a seperate ignition live to it or it won't work. You know the fans are getting power as they've cut in with the engine off, have you checked the thermal switch is ok? Check for 12v at pin3 on it's plug, as it needed a seprate feed on mine and then test it's function, there's details on this in Bentley - it should open at 88degrees iirc. If you want to test the fans function just jump the outer pins of the plug, the fans should fire up. PM me if you need more info, such as wiring diagrams, or some sections copied from the manual, which I have in PDF format.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  3. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Luke, I'm looking at a Vortech kit which includes some software for programming both ODB 1 and 2, so presumably comes with a piggyback chip....I'll need to look into it more though I think. Need to save some more pennies first.

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Im not sure the kits come with piggy back setups, more direct replacement chips for the ecu. Whereas the unichip is fitted inline with your existing ecu. Give stealth a ring and see what vince recommends with your planned mods.

5. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Should be up there early in the new year for a rolling road and cam change, i'll chat to him then.

6. INSANE_BIKER New Member

cheers will try it out and see it worked

i have jumped the wires for the rev counter and clocks to work but dont think the speedo works can not drive it to test it

supercharger wise i have bought a Vortech kit (second hand) what you get is a chip but from what i have read it is far better to get it mapped at stealth when mine is on this is were it will be going

7. von dub New Member

oak green vr6

Car looks great, i want one in oak green or want to buy an oak green and convert it but i dont think im up to the job any one know any one that can do it on the cheap? thanks

8. funkbaron Forum Junkie

If you jumped the plugs and the rev counter is working then the speedo will be too - needs to be moving 10mph before it'll register and it won't twitch like cable driven counters, so only way to be sure is a test drive.

Let me know how you get on with the Vortech kit, and did you source it from the USA?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  9. SPERMBANK

SPERMBANK Forum Member

Just read the whole thread through in one go!
    Amazing work!
    Very impressed and i wish i had an ounce of talent to do be able to something near to as good as this!
    Top Work!
    :)

10. aimee

aimee Forum Member

Looks good mate!
    I've been following the whole thread, and trying to read it, but kept quiet as i have no idea about engine conversions and tbh most of it just confussed me! i just sit and watch them being done!! :lol: :lol:
    Now wheres these videos of you taking it out for a test??

Could be interesting you supercharging it, what with veedubnutz's thoughts about the next steps for his too! will have to see who's will come out on top! :lol:

11. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Cheers. No real talent though, just lots of reading, asking questions and cracking on with it. A VR6 MK2 was something I'd always wanted, that was always the plan for this car...was my first ever engine swap and I learned quite a bit along the way, i'd tackle the next one with a lot more confidence.

12. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Cheers Aimee....might get round to doing a vid this weekend.

Steve's will come out on top[:|] He's talking turbo....nutter:lol:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  13. aimee

aimee Forum Member

Yeh i know, its gonna be mad!

You coming across to the pompey meet this weekend? would be a good opportunity to get some videos!

14. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Yeh will be sweet.

I'd love to get to pompey, but can't be 100% at the mo.[8(]

15. jimmy123 Forum Member

you just got it in and all ready looking for more power will it ever end:lol: top work baz

16. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I know mate, no pleasing some people eh:lol: It's some months off yet though, still enjoying the car very much as it is[:D]

17. MOGGY2000 Forum Member

do u think the vr6 conversion would go well in a 3 wheeler? robin reliant? i must research this. lol

very nice funkyman, i wish i had the time and patience that you have but i dont. if you ever want to sell it come to me first.

18. MUSH Forum Member

absolutely awesome, been watching this for some time and glad it came together all well. Makes my 8v to 9a 16v swap seem a bit measly!!!

19. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Been there mate, got there first.... doesn't matter though as we're both screwed, Baz will own it for donkys years!!:lol:

20. MOGGY2000 Forum Member

lol well i had to try.