G***BJU had a smash :( (NOW WITH PICS)

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by Funkyfin2000, May 3, 2004.

1. MrBen Forum Junkie

I very much doubt an insurance repair type bodyshop would quote much under a grand to fix that. They'll quote to replace the bumper, and random other parts that you probably don't really need, and the labour rate will be pretty high. Don't forget painting as well, and it's soon very easily written off.

2. 76

76 Forum Member

If its not your fault I believe that you can insist that is is repaired???

And Rich, just replace that panel, the spot welds will drill out from underneath the boot seal, cut the legs behind the lights, cut down each side of the apparent joint, drill spots to remove remaining metal, refit and paint.

TBH, I would say alot more than 150 labour especially if you think that will include paint. I would estimate for a skilled man there is probably at least 12 hours of work there, plus parts and panels, I would expect to pay 500-600 to a good bodyshop to do the job properly without problems a couple of years down the line!

3. MK2. Forum Member

unlucky mate [:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

4. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

LOL!!!!

what a nitemare thou....

how much for a pro job then??

500???

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Gutted, weren't you planning on breaking it anyway? Let them write it off, buy it back for peanuts then break it to make more cash!!

Maybe a few sexual favours off your mate as well? (for me not you :lol: )

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Id be looking at spending 500 labour + parts on getting the panel replaced without any filling and spraying.

Go through her insurance, it will be easier, cheaper and insist the car is repaired.

Dozy bint should have looked where she was driving. Dont be easy on her, if it was someone else shed be in the poo.

7. gorilly Forum Member

looks like he didnt in the first place :p

8. richgit Forum Junkie

i like the way youve blanked out the G***BJU in your topic, but we can all clearly see the no. plate in the pics :lol:

(btw, unlucky dude)

9. superden Forum Addict

Yeah but its dented now isnt it ? :lol:

10. Golfgirl Forum Member

Bummer [:^(] Hope you get it sorted ok!

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

What a bunch of dumb, over estimatin w***s you lot are!!!

Yeah it'll need a new panel - but my bodyshop will be 400 for a new 3/4 panel - so you'll be lookin at something like that for the rear panel replacement.

Written off - you are obviously a bunch of dumb fekrs, cos you cant have your car written off if someone damagaes it, cos you have the legal right ot have it put back into pre accident condition

Wish you folk would really know what you are on about before you post on a forum

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

12. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Some jock with a tin of dulux, a hacksaw and a few packs of wrigleys spear mint :lol:

New back bumper will cost about 200 on its own i bet, then thers the back panel and maybe a couple of other small bits, then the labour etc etc 400 would be a bargain!!

13. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Andy - what you say is this true???

If the repair is beyond economical repair then, as i believe the car can be written off by the other persons insurance company......

Anyone any other ideas?

Going to the body shop today :(

14. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Value:

Q : Why do I have to accept a total loss when my car could be repaired for more money?

A : This question was considered in the Courts some years ago. Darbyshire V Warran (1963) held that an owner of an old car cannot expect to have it repaired at a cost greater than its market balue unless the car is uniquie and irreplaceable and where the car is readily replaceable, the measure of damage shall be the vehicle's market value.

15. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Argghhhh this is gonna be expensive.....i know :( :(

mind u her excess may be SKY high an if its a 600 repair, maybe cheaper to pay privately.....

16. jprocter Forum Member

Well, insurance approved bodyshops will use vag parts wont they i.e it will be expensive [xx(]

17. damogti Forum Junkie

Bummer Rich [:^(]

Rear bumper is 187 inc vat, i know as i brought one 3 weeks ago......

Rear panel again will be 100 plus and i bet the boot floor is damaged too...... it may be able to be pulled out but if it was me id have a replacement.

Then your looking at atleast 2 days labour to fit/replair and paint.............

i reckon the total bill using VAG parts and using a "reasonable" bodyshop will be around 750 which will write the car off.

Because the insurance companies dont want the old cars they generally say that it is your problem with getting it scrapped so you can either repair the car at your own expense using the payout, sell the car as salvage/scrap or break it yourself.....

18. vdubGolf Forum Member

Erm, so you are saying, that if some one goes samshing into the back of your 89 golf gti for example, at 30 mph, denting up the boot floor, and pushing you into the car infront, smashing the front end, you can say "I can't have my car written off if someone damages it, cos I have the legal right to have it put back into pre accident condition"...

If that was the case, no one would have a problem would they.
    Are you just talking about some types of repairs?

19. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Ok been to my body shop and they say this...

New bottom panel and below that to the ground and completly cut out including part of the boot floor and then the paint and also blending in the rear panel (these won't need replacing)

Basically the rear panel will be 175, then i have a FULL rear bumper free of charge sitting at the bodyshop already, so its just a case of fitting that...... he reckons about 450 to 500 for a proper job.....

Just gotta tell my mate now and see if she accepts that, and also get a quote from another body shop....

if all is ok, it goes in Thursday Nite and comes out Sunday!

Not sure if my mate will want to pay that though!!!! :( :(

If it goes to insurance they will WRITE it off :( :(

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i can't let her go!!!!!!

Rich

20. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Im hoping she will pay privately, thus keeping my car.............

i will call her later when i get the second quote!

She is pretty definite she wants to pay privately......she doesn't want her insurance touched....

Rich