getting a webber carb to run well cold

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Sciroccotune, Feb 13, 2007.

1. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Your throttle levers aren't right [:s] , did the carb come from a vw kit or was it fitted to a different car once (they were used by a few manufacturers with detail differences). They may just be fitted wrong.
    All the pics in the other thread are for automatic cars so the levers are different because the accelerator cable arrangement is different.
    This one on ebay shows how the levers should go :) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Weber-carburettor-setup-vw-MK-2-golf-webber-1-6-or-1-8_W0QQitemZ120087063047QQihZ002QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    You can see the adjuster screw on top of the throttle lever next to the choke lever.
    I bought new levers from www.webcon.co.uk they were 6ish each (i checked my emails this time) as i was converting from a manual to an automatic carb.

2. SirGeekalot Forum Member

hold on a minute.. how the feck ami meant to know which one to get?

the catalogue lists 2 parts, one with 3 holes one with four.

theres four bolts into the manifiold and three in to the Carb..

buh?!?!

my golf is a 1989 1.8 auto gl if someone could be a bit more specific for me...

PS, i've already bought the 3 bolt one

3. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Its the part number I said - look on www.gsfcarparts.com, go to mk2 golf in the online shop and fuel intake and supply. There is only one choice. The printed catalogue confused me when I was trying to work it out

4. Sciroccotune Forum Member

not sure mate as it was on when i got the car [8(]

guss i need to ring webcon and get the whole linkage. anyone have any idea how much they cost?

and im not sure about the rubber thing adam, but if you have a gsf near you they are quite good with returns for things like this if you were to get both.

5. SirGeekalot Forum Member

well thank god for that.

cheers maxmo.

6. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Not much mr tune - see my post!!!

I only signed up to the forum when I saw your other post adam as I know what its like to need the info but struggle to find it :)

7. Sciroccotune Forum Member

well i just called webcon, they did not seem overly interested in helping me at first due to a small order but they have offered to find the parts so i left me email.

hopefully they will come up trumps :)

thanks guys, im glad i have got some idea about this one now :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  8. muppet9966 Forum Member

Ill post a pic of my throttle and choke linkages tomorrow morning. May help you describe what you are after.
    I got a 1.6 mk2 manual transmission.

9. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

I did it by email, the guy was allan.smith@webcon.co.uk if you want to try him.
    I was also in touch with a company called eurocarb ltd. I've also bought a refurb kit and jets from www.fastroadcars.com - the guy there is really friendly and helpful.

10. Sciroccotune Forum Member

thanks mr muppet that will at least help me put it back together if i get teh write linkage.

Also thanks maximo, i have spoken to that guy before he seems very helpful.

:)

11. Sciroccotune Forum Member

still had a warm idle problem tonight after a long blast, think it may be because i have not got the ventri heater fitted right (had to bodge it due to another missing part on the carb). Does anyone know if the little heater thing earths via the main face or with the screw it attaches with?

basically after said vlast the idle will struggle again, maybe even the car stall. then after restart or a bit of keeping the revs up and some slow driving the thing will be fine again.

bloody car [:^(]

12. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

The side that touches the carb is spring loaded and that is the earth. The wire connects to the one it was always connected to when it was a pierburg. Mine goes to a black wire with a red one pin plug - you can see it in one of my pics in the other post.
    I found my manual throttle lever, the part number is 999 0249 500, yours is definatley different, I'm pretty sure you'll need the choke lever to, and parts 21, 7, 8(two of these), 3, 4, 5(two of these), and 6 from the exploded diagram on the carb instructions. Yours must have come from a different car.

13. Sciroccotune Forum Member

thanks max.

im basically gonna get the whole linkage, inc choke stuff. [8(]

you say that the heater is conected to the black wire with the red plug[:$] I may have conected it to the wrong plug :clap:

ill try that red one tomorrow :)

14. muppet9966 Forum Member

Sorry Sciroccotune, I didnt bring my car into work today so Im afriad I cant post any pics. I will post them on Monday if it aint too late.

15. SirGeekalot Forum Member

my Mounting plate arrived this morning.

cant wait to finally get the car running again!! then it's off to get it MOT'd and taxed tomorrow and i'm road legal again!!

16. Sciroccotune Forum Member

did you get it working?

my car was useless today was stalling hot and cold [:^(]

17. SirGeekalot Forum Member

i'm still stuck in the office, i'm tempted to try it under torch light tonight. but it's prob safer to wait until tomorrow morning when i'm hungover instead..

FINALLY! i'll have a car instead of a 1 tonne driveway cover..

18. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

:lol: its not a night time job like, really hurts the back of your calfs stretching over to tighten the rear carb bolts with a spanner.

19. SirGeekalot Forum Member

yeah.. i know. my mate who usually helps me is only about 5' 4" and has big probs reaching the back. LOL..

depending on the daylight situation, it may have to wait till tomorrow.

it's friday tonight, and as any good irish man would, i'll be in the pub.

20. Sciroccotune Forum Member

well let us know how it goes! i tracked my problem down to a bad filler cap causing a vacume in tha tank... should be sorted know and just waiting on the neqw linkage [8(]

good luck mate [:D]