getting a webber carb to run well cold

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Sciroccotune, Feb 13, 2007.

1. SirGeekalot Forum Member

Works a feckin Treat!!

sounds ncie and is easy as pie to play with. just waiting on my mate to arrive with his colour tune and we'll be setting the mixture.

t minus 3 hours until funtime...

[​IMG]

and a wee video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLYW2oz85Zo

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  2. Sciroccotune Forum Member

well done mate :)

i can clearly see what im missing. hopefully that guy at webcon will get back to me or if not ill have to fab up a new linkage.

let us know how it drives etc :clap:

3. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Good work :)
    Just me to get going out of the 'weber three' but I might be be a bit longer what with not actually having a cylinder head attached at the mo[:$] .
    I was working on my car last night sciroccotune - the plug is a red single pin plug and it has a black and a black/yellow wire leading into it.
    Don't copy the pic above if you have to make your own levers, its the same principal but slightly different for a manual. If webcon can't help I can measure the manual lever I have for you. (Actually I'd sell it to you if I didn't have a manual conversion in the back of my mind)

4. SirGeekalot Forum Member

having a bit of trouble getting it tuned up.

my mate cant find his colour tune. so i'm following the instructions from the weber.

i've got it to idle at about 850 with no choke when its all warmed up, but when i move the mixture screw the revs wont go up, only down.

the instructions tell me to change the screw until i can get the highest revs. but they just wont go up. any suggestions lads?

5. Sciroccotune Forum Member

i had the same thing when i used the webber instructions. i just took the 'higher' revs to be the the point before it would start to go down.

Having said that i think it was way to rich and in deed still may be as its still stalling when cold (all be it not as bad as with faulty filler cap).

Im leaving my gas meter out side to calibrate for about 30 mins and ill try again, if not im gonna go by ear which is what i used to do with my old mk1.

I guess you may just want to get it going and visit a garage with the bosch tune up stuff to get it done for you [8(]

its a funny one this, teh carbs seem very very sensitive to CO..

6. Sciroccotune Forum Member

found some good info on setting the base setting

7. Sciroccotune Forum Member

well im having real problems getting the linkage parts i need, infact no one seems to want/be able to help [:^(]

i think i may get away with only the throttle link and the choke link (as in the to brass bits that the throttle cable and the choke cable attach to as the rest of the linkage is correct.

can anyone help, even if its just with part numbers etc.

cheers

8. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

The throttle lever part number is in my post above do you want me to put a piccie of it up next to a ruler so you can fab one up?

9. Sciroccotune Forum Member

could do mate [:D]

im gonna ring webcon again and try them with that part number, im sure it shouldnt be to hard for them to sort this out!

but failing that ill be making one [:s]

any one got the choke lever part number?

thanks again guys.

10. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Here you go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Sciroccotune Forum Member

that looks a bit hard to make [8(] hopefully a company called motoscope will help, webcon did not help at all other than getting some part numbers :(

12. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Is that in northallerton?
    If it is, I read on their website they've got a new rolling road, I was gonna get myself booked up for a RR carb set up when the car is running again.

13. SirGeekalot Forum Member

well, we're about to find out if i did a good job.. Car's sitting outside work waiting to go to RetroVW in charlwood for a pre-mot check.

it's been sitting pretty much still since i bought due to the lack oif MOT and tax etc etc. Nut she was MOT'd right before being put to sleep for a couple of years.

Wish me (and the golf) luck!

14. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

:) So how'd it go?

15. SirGeekalot Forum Member

dunno yet... Brians taking it to be mot'd at 4:30.

only things he said needed done was a near-side wishbone and a weld in the exhaust. Other than those he said everything is Grand.

bit worried about the emmissions though. he doesn't have the ability to check those before its MOT'd and i probably haven't setup the Carb properly.

16. SirGeekalot Forum Member

passed!!

i'm back on the road!!

17. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Hooray!!!!

18. SirGeekalot Forum Member

Its a such a lazy car to drive. big 1.8 with an auto box.. it just sort of cruises along anywhere it goes. No hurry to do anything, comfy seats, soft suspension, plenty of room. it's like my car is stoned!!

llaaazzzzyyyyy....

so i think i'l be getting a GTI soon as well!! LMAO!

19. muppet9966 Forum Member

Nothing wrong with a stoned lazy car.

20. SirGeekalot Forum Member

dont get me wrong, i love it.. i've always loved big lazy cars. my very first car was a Series 3 landy.. it's just so relaxing. my mate has an A-class mini and couldn't believe how quiet and smooth it was compared to his mini.

but everynow and again, i'm going to get an itch in my right foot that the auto wont be able to scratch.

I know of a Mk2 Gti being sold for 100 so i'm going to take it regardless of its current condition and work on it over the next few months.