Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

They do look good. The only downside that I have noticed Is that this didn't have a protective rubber cover on the gauge. Ordered one off ebay. I will keep you posted

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Went to start the car, thought sod it, go for it.
    Turned the key, click from a relay and nothing else. NOOOOOO. Damn

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Well no further in trying to start the car. I did pick the rear seat up from a re-trimmer near me after he has done some repairs on it. Stitching was torn and there was a large hole on the pattern. I bought a rear seat cover which he chopped up and made this one good.£100 bargain
    So I dropped him both front seats off for him to work his magic . The passenger seat is fine, just loose. Apparently due to the fabric delamination from its backing. The drivers has a ruined lower bolster and patterned part. He says he can make good so that's fine by me. I have been trying to source good replacements but all seem to need work. Hopefully this saves me travelling all around the country to make them good again
    20230715_165851.jpg

Zender Z20 likes this.
  4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

So wish I was at the same stage, the new engine I'm in the middle of might be going into a MK1 but it started life as an EV from an '86 MK2.

Likely be going through the exact same issues you are now but may have been able to help through my own trial and error, feeling pretty useless to you at the moment.

Seats have come up like new, you must be well pleased... finding a tradesman like that, and local too is gold.

5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, Matt the trimmer really is helpful and tackles anything. I've seen top end BMWs down to an XR2 being sorted by him.
    So, the great news today is that the car has started .
    All thanks to an easy solution thanks to Isaac. My starter motor connections needed swapping round!! I even checked against my pre-removal photos to make sure I had them correct and they were.... how strange
    She starts and runs for a couple of seconds so atleast I have something to work with. Going to try adjusting the CO 3mm allen screw first. Then maybe look at cold start and WUR. Cold start must be working as I know when I first got the car it would not start due to the 5th injector being unplugged. I need to read up more on the WUR. I have the fuel pressure tester ready for that part. Will try and borrow a timing light and CO tester
    Just very pleased to hear it turn over after all of this time and work.
    I have spent bloody hours testing voltages and wiring to try and sort the non starting

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Had a go at starting the car and testing things.... I just can NOT get it to run now. I was hoping to test fuel pressures but it seems I need it running for that.
    Checked the timing marks and all line up.. distributor points to notch and no1 lead. Voltage at the cold start, I will test it works tomorrow.
    Took no1 plug out and it sparks and smells if fuel.
    Getting pi##Ed off with it so phoned an Old Skool guy that does Krypton tuning and hopefully he will come out next week...so , to be continued
    Gutted

Attached Files:

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Went back to this today. Decided to check the cold start injector. I had 12v when cranking, so pulled it from the inlet manifold to test fuel and got nothing,,,,,, cracked the banjo joint and fuel was there under pressure so I set about cleaning this. I had done this before using carb cleaner and a made up connector so this was quick to do. Refitted and she briefly started again but will not run.
    So I decided to start at the back of the car with the in-tank fuel pump. On removing this it didn't seem correctly seated, pump to sender unit. Not the original joint anyway.
    I am just looking at buying some of the submersible fuel hose to make up the fix.
    I have also tested the pump OFF of the car and it doesn't seem to be working, spins then stops. Just ordered a pierburg replacement
    Hopefully this will sort the starting problems. If anyone has a better fix for the small rubber hose joint at this pump it will be appreciated

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Got the gold hose today. No way will it fit on the sender unit, but it is a snug fit to fit inside. And when the new pump comes it may hold itself tighter when fitted. Although I am thinking of putting a small self tapping screw from the sender plastic into the hose.
    One to think about, but always good to see what others have done.
    Suggestions welcome, but hopefully I get the pump tomorrow

Attached Files:

9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Okay so the pierburg pump arrived and got fitted this evening. All was well and a test of the pump actually gave over 500ml in 10 secs, wow.
    Al back together and fingers crossed for a big start and......
    It just fired up then died... many times, so I have given up today
    AAGHHHHH

10. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Are you sure this is not an immobiliser issue? Sorry if I have missed this further up.

Cressa likes this.
  11. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Not sure really. It does have an old transponder immobiliser which kills everything. When off my electrics work, pump primes and I can get fuel to pump through. But could be another circuit to something else that I haven't found yet.
    It is getting frustrating..

12. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Reason I ask is that when we did the AGG transplant the immobiliser would allow start but no run which sounds exactly like the issue you have.

13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Gents we have a miracle. I was looking at Internet posts and came across a guy with a mk1 gti saying that after a rebuild he had this sort of problem. So he wound out his Co screw then screwed it back in a few turns, then a half a turn and kept doing this to see what happened
    I tried it and could faintly tell it was trying to hold for longer, until eventually it runs and ticks over.
    Idles high at about 1200, but got warm and the fan came on, so happy with that.
    Now I may get the chance to do some fuel pressure tests. Once/if that is sorted I can then get it set up properly hopefully.
    I may even see if it moves

Zender Z20, PhilRyder and G60. like this.
  14. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

That great news, really pleased... fair play to you for you're perseverance :thumbup:

15. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Big perseverance, thanks. Needing more patience.
    I booked today off to play with the golf. Decided to have a go with the 2nd hand gunsons timing light I had bought. Worked for 30 seconds then stopped flashing...
    Took it apart twice but still no joy
    Oh well, time to check the fuel pressures with my German kjetronic kit. Oh great, Nothing here fits the WUR out connection. The most important part and all of this is shite
    Looked under the car and saw a drip of oil hanging off of the gearbox Bell housing . Now that has done it for me. I don't believe it is from the sump either, but more from the crank shaft seal at this end. Now that is bad. Unless someone can think of something else.
    BOLLOX
    Sorry, but I feel slightly better now

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
  16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

So, I removed the gearbox and it was the main input shaft seal that was leaking, due to a 16v one having been fitted. All cleaned up with the correct seal and the gearbox is back on the car. I need to touch up a few scratch marks from the refitting, but I am pleased this is done. I had the car running and nothing leaking so far.
    I also bought another 2nd hand strobe light, that didn't work!! So Amazon delivered me a nice cheap draper one that let me set the timing. It was interesting doing this as I never really understood how turning the distributor moved the light against the diamond. Not perfect but I still have things to do.
    Get a hose made up with the correct fittings to test the fuel pressure's
    Refit the driveshafts and paint up some bolts.
    Get it tuned
    Then I can start with the bodywork

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  17. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Not much happening at the moment as I need to find another/ replace the daily driver. GF borrowed it and took the front end off!!
    I did collect my front seats from the trimmers and after a clean they are looking respectable. Not mint, but bloody good considering the condition they were in

Attached Files:

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  18. vdubmkIIgolfgti New Member

Where did you get your fuel pipes from bud. I need to get some.

19. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I will have a look for the receipt. I must have a piece of it left as I only used 5cm of it. Different people do it Different ways.. but I pushed my pipe inside the tube then cut a small piece with a slit to fit on the outside of the hose, then used a stainless jubilee clip ro hold both together. Seems to work fine

Attached Files:

20. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Apologies, I totally forgot about this. Did you sort it, or do you still need some?