Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Busy weekend and I found some time for the golf. I re-adjusted the gear linkage as it seems a pain to get in to gear. Better now.
    I changed the gearbox oil but what came out was very dirty brown!! Why? I think I had some clutch slip due to the clutch cable being incorrectly adjusted as I revved the arse out of it to get up the drive for the tuner. The smell was horrendous.
    Hopefully that is sorted now, so turned my attention to the Stereo. I purchased some new iso plugs and have re-pinned the connections correctly. After purchasing a period Panasonic stereo I finally got to try it out. Works a treat
    Next to the vacuum lines that I have causing a problem. Whilst ticking over the engine seems to miss a little and the tuner put it down to the pipework.
    I managed to get a some spares from a mk1 gti manifold, swapped it all about and it ran fine. I even managed to bring the revs down, so a successful day I hope. Just need to check it again from cold.
    And the best result this weekend was getting my Corrado MOTd and back on the road.

Attached Files:

Zender Z20 likes this.
  2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Was it part of the suction pump / venturi that you used from the MK1's pipe work?

See in your image the black piece for it is missing.

Read that they have an O ring in there, haven't had one apart to check, but you can see that there might be so as to sandwich the grey part (in the image) to the black part (that's not) and can fail / leak / cause a high idle.

Your oil looks frothy, would that be making it the colour it is?

Maybe that's just as a consequence of it draining, now that it's settled what colour is it?

I know my MK1's gearbox oil was jet black (and low), but then it was 40 years old / had 165K on it.

Surely you've done no miles on the new oil, even caning the clutch wouldn't have had an effect on the oil I'd have thought?

Rather than use your new VW oil, maybe try using then flushing through some cheap stuff when the car's able to get out on the road for a run / some miles... might be that some old residual oil has mixed itself in?

Stereo looks well, very period to the car. Does it have a model number, might be able to find a manual / more info... there was a great french site that'd archives of quite a few 70's / 80's / 90's car stereos, can't remember it's name at the moment but shouldn't be hard to find again.

3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

The Oil does have me confused and putting some cheap oil in would have been a great idea, too late now though!.. But it is that brown colour
    You are right that I used the Tee piece with the take off connections for the MFA vac. I shall have to find a way to test round this as the car us still sucking air from somewhere. An instructions manual form the radio would be a great addition
    17095861774443837485994684854287.jpg