Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Stick up the 8v control pressure regulator Bosch number.

If you've two now, try the un-refurbed one (number matches?) to see if it causes any changes to the running. No guarantee it's working / working properly of course but may provide some leads to follow.

I'd go back over the very basic throttle body settings such as the butterfly resting position, bypass screw, it's seal etc. You need those to be 100% spot on or else the next stage, setting the sensor flap to the correct zero position will be correspondingly out which in turn will cause more issues.

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Pictures

Attached Files:

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

So, today got worse. After stripping the metering head down, I found no issues, painted it and put it back on. Bollox as it was now spraying fuel with ignition on. I assumed it was a stuck plunger and messed about with it to no avail.
    Took it off, stripped it down and found a split o-ring on the centre piece. Cleaned it all up, swapped the o-ring and put it back on, with No.2 injector now spraying on ignition. I tried adjusting the CO screw in case this was lifting the air flap but to no avail.
    So fed up, it's raining and dark, shut the bonnet on it and have now gone inside.
    Probably looking for a new unit now

4. Zender Z20

0438140118 is the correct regulator for a MK2 112 hp GTI made between Jan '84 / July '87 (and many other Audi / VW's).

Just as an aside it's date marked April 1989... the additional one you got is already on?

Anyhow, sounds like you need a bit of clear space away from it for a while.

When you're wanting to come back again, just let us know.

5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

How do you work out its date? I couldn't find the spare I bought due to it being dark and being pi##ed off. I will find it and post up. That is the one that was on the car when I bought it.
    Just spending what is left of the evening trying to find a replacement fuel distributor!!!

6. Zender Z20

The '944' embossed in the first image, represents that year / month on a chart. Have a printed copy, will email you it if I can find it in pdf. or similar.

Regulator could've been changed for any number of reasons, wouldn't read too much into it.

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Happy with my regulator and the pressure that it controls. I will post a pic of the other when I find it.
    It has blown my brain pushing fuel through the injectors, no matter what I did with the plunger.
    Time to order a new rebuild kit and hopefully get sone spares or a replacement to rebuild

8. Zender Z20

Consider the injectors themselves?

Hard to do without a tester, but would be useful to know what pressure they are opening at / uniformly together or not.

I don't think there's much variance amongst Kjet injectors over all, but like anything that has a part number / specific vehicle application, it's for a reason.

Throw up the Bosch number (from the injector itself, not the box), though that'll only confirm you've been sent the correct ones, but rules that out.

9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I didn't have this issue until I ruined things thinking I was getting the filters out. All of the injectors held fine.

10. Zender Z20

I've misunderstood then, didn't realise you'd sorted the excess flow rate... probably best waiting to when you get the fuel distributor up and running again, then take things from there.

11. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Just leave the thing alone for a while - this is a monumental ball ache and you need to just step away from that bastard and decompress.

Cressa likes this.
  12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I have made the decision to send the regulator to KMI whom I believe are the best when it comes to refurbishing this item. Not cheap but will hopefully be perfect and correctly set up too. £408 + the VAT.
    I did consider doing it again myself but I need some internal parts which involves buying second hand spares, plus a rebuild kit. Putting me towards £150 and it possibly still not being right.
    As a Forum I appreciate it is more about us solving problems and getting helpful advice, but I have had to admit defeat with this bloody lump of cast iron.
    I shall report back in a few months when hopefully it is returned as new.
    Until then....

13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Update, the fuel distributor is with KMI as I confirmed this Monday. It is left in their very capable hands and I am too busy with work to do anything else with the car. Although I still need to source a stainless exhaust back box to fit on this Magenex system.

14. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Poor update. Still waiting on the fuel distributor return, but..... picked up a back box that an old mate of mine has made up. I took him an original mk2 golf rusty one and said it needs to be like this but better. Hopefully it is
    20231222_194542.jpg

erreesse, PhilRyder and Zender Z20 like this.
  15. Zender Z20

Looks fantastic... that's the sort of mate I think we'd all like!

16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Managed to fit the exhaust today. A little help from an angle grinder and it seems to fit better. Far from perfect but it is on the car for now and can be sorted better later .
    I am still waiting on the Bosch fuel distributor to return, then maybe it will move

Attached Files:

Zender Z20 likes this.
  17. Zender Z20

Until you've had to do it I don't think others realise what a pig of a job fitting an exhaust on your own, while the car's on the ground can be... Looks absolutely spot on, another big job ticked off :thumbup:

18. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

New years eve boredom, so I thought I would have a go at making some replacement door membranes for the car. I happened to have a decent passenger side one that hasn't really shrunk or been damaged,a great template .
    With some thick plastic that was in the garage I gave it a go. It's double thickness so I thought one template would do both sides... until I found it is sealed together internally. So had to make two. One side is done and I shall finish the other next year
    Not the best pictures

Attached Files:

erreesse and Zender Z20 like this.
  19. Zender Z20

That looks to be some serious, heavy duty sheeting... no chance of leaks using that stuff, might even be up to acting as sound deadening!

Cressa likes this.
  20. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Some good news perhaps, my fuel regulator/distributor is ready and shall be delivered tomorrow. I will just need to find the time to fit it