Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Received a well packaged beautifully looking refurbished unit from KMI yesterday. The proof will be in the starting wheni i can find the time to fit it.
    I will say that the centre plunger does move incredibly fast and smooth
    Watch this space. ..

20240126_203801.jpg 20240126_203718.jpg 20240126_203725.jpg

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Fitted the fuel regulator today. Couldn't get it to start until I realised the centre coil wire at the distributor was still disconnected!! Doh.
    I did a couple of flow rate tests which were good and checked the pressures.
    •System pressure 5.1 bar (4.7-5.4)
    •Control pressure 3.8 bar (3.4-3.8)
    •Residual pressure 2.7 bar (<2.6)
    So all is good there. I had another mess around with setting the timing up but I can't get it to tick over happily at less than 1k. As I can't do the CO I intend on getting a mobile old skool tuner round to set it up properly.
    Just a couple of loose stone chip pieces underneath I saw that need sorting and then I shall put her on 4 wheels and see if she moves
    Very happy with the KMI refurb of this part. Not cheap, but highly recommended.
    I thinks thats 100% injection sorted now

Zender Z20 likes this.
  3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Like Xmas all over again!

4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Definitely. I must say that this refurbished unit is very responsive and smooth. I was worried that I had paid out big due to my mistake, but this is working a treat.
    Onwards and upwards, roll on the better weather

PhilRyder likes this.
  5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I have a mobile tuner coming on Friday, so needed to get the Golf turned around. 1st time in over a year that she has been on all fours. Drove off the drive in reverse fine and 1st-2nd were good.
    Now sat waiting for the big day.
    I was going to put the wings on but have decided against using the passenger one. It has quite a lump of filler on its edge, so I may try and find a better genuine one.
    Better still, I got to drive the Corrado out of the garage and give it a clean. Another 1st in over a year

Attached Files:

Zender Z20 likes this.
  6. Zender Z20

All go to plan?

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Unfortunately NOT. Annoyingly it was a no show and i had the day off for it . No answer when I rang either.

8. Zender Z20

Not good... Have given up trying to understand why folks think it's OK to treat others like that, specially a potential customer.

9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

So how did today go, well.... Jim turned up to tune the car. The good news is that the timing was spot on, and that is what i had done. So it was on with setting the CO and getting the revs down.
    This was the problem. Air is being sucked in and causing the revs to increase.
    I need to recheck the auxiliary air valve which mounts to the inlet manifold as this is letting air past when warm. It has 12v all of the time, is this correct? When he crushed the pipe to the cylinder head from this, the revs dropped to a nicer purr.
    Also when he squashed the inch black pipe from the air box to the rocker cover this also dropped the revs to a nicer purr.
    And the large brake servo pipe that goes into the NS of the cylinder head and has lots of joints is also letting me down.
    So hopefully nothing is missing and i put it all back correctly.
    I also had a continuous 12v at the WUR, is that normal or should it switch off at some
    point.
    So a little stressed but I am sure it is do-able

10. Zender Z20

Is the pipework to the solenoid on the offside wing connected up OK?

11. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Ha, that made me go outside and check. Yes it is, The solenoid valve was clicking as it should when the revs dropped too low.
    Tomorrow I shall start testing some of the parts .

12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

So, perhaps picture heavy the next couple of posts.
    I took the auxiliary air valve off, cleaned it with some carb cleaner, put some WD40 through it and then went to test it. All was good .
    No voltage- cold = small hole
    12v or warm = NO hole.
    Tested twice so happy to refit and try it.
    The car sounded slightly better so I turned my attention to the rest of the vac lines and managed to cause myself real problems. So, the inch size pipe from the airbox to the rocker cover top seems to always pull a slight vacuum and when I blocked this off I didn't notice a difference so I refitted it. Happy so far.
    Then I turned my attention to the vac lines at the NS side of the engine.
    I broke the nipple that the MFA uses , blocked it for now.
    THEN, the large pipe that goes into the inlet manifold from the vacuum pipe was my next attention. Lots of joints.... The tuner man blocked this at the inlet manifold to simulate no leaks and it dropped the revs yesterday. I tried today with the thumb of a thin rubber glove. All was going well for an hour, but my glove has disappeared !!! INTO THE INLET MANIFOLD.
    So where will I find it and what damage will it have done??? The car isn't purring as happily now
    Gutted
    20240217_110836.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

So I attempted to make myself feel better and fit the wing and front panel before they get damaged.
    That went okay I think

Attached Files:

14. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Not got round to the glove search, but I was aware the clutch wasn't biting right. It was as though I had tightened the cable to much and the clutch wasn't quite right. Holding it off and the cable was at full slack!!
    I worked out the clutch release lever must be in the wrong position as it was on the stop and under tension still.
    So off came another green cap and 40 mins later I had managed to get it all in the correct position at 9oclock as per the Bentley and adjusted correctly. Drove up my drive better but I did fit a bag over the end after losing some oil.
    Does anyone know what VW oil specification goes in as I need to top up and have lost my receipt

15. Zender Z20

Bentley says to SAE 80 or API GL4.

1.9 litres needed.

You'll remember I was having clutch problems and had to change the 'box oil a few times over in a short time?

Got some NAPA 75W - 90 SS semi-synthetic locally as I needed it in a hurry.

Blurb on the container says it can be used where SAE 80W to 90 / SAE 85W to 90 and SAE 90 or API GL4 / 5 are specified.

NAPA code (5 Litres) is N3015L

Cressa likes this.
  16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Fortunately I have a TPS near me and they have just dropped off some genuine, for an 020 box. Result
    20240227_093423.jpg

17. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Just to confirm, is it 1.9 litres or 2.0 litres as broke.com quote. I thought 2l as mine is an early mk2
    Screenshot_20240227_131941_Chrome.jpg

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

with the 020 you just pour the oil in till it comes out the filler, or if you have early pour in till it comes out the filler then add 0.5l more thru speedo hole

Zender Z20 likes this.
  19. Zender Z20

I did mine initially from completely drained as the 'box had been out of the car, opened on a bench / refurb'd.

The subsequent fills were when the 'box was back in the car, so it's possible there may have been a small residual amount of the existing oil that couldn't be entirely drained out which'd effect the amount needed to refill it.

Maybe that'd account for the 0.1 ltr difference?

Have to say I can't remember the amounts used now, other than to say I was aware at the time of the different hole heights and allowed for it.

Looked at Bentley again and they state 1.9l / 2.0 US qrts., but don't make any obvious references to old/new styles or there being different amounts.

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep usually will be some in there if its just been drained while in car. in a nutshell, you need 2 bottles and you'll most likely have 'some' left at the end :lol:

Cressa likes this.