has my warmup regulator gone wrong?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by azc-uk, Apr 4, 2006.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

the wur affects hot running too.....why do you think stealth does the wur mod?? it richens it!!

2. azc-uk Forum Member

hmm ok....i think my problem only lies with acceleration enrichment....what controls that please?

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

you say it goes lean at 80...have a play with the wur ajustment screw...the one in the metering head is for idle, for instance i set mine at 2% idle and then messed around with the wur, the idle didnt change while messing with the wur screw

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I also need to have a play with my wur cos i think it is running lean past 5k

Which way do you turn the allen key to richen the mixture, clockwise?

5. gti_kev Forum Member

I think it was anti clockwise, towards the bulk head! This will of course increase the fuel pressure thus richening the micture!

You really need to get hold of a fuel pressure gauge to do this right, see the faq for more info.

I found that when i got mine right the original C0 jumped from 2% to 7%ish after the wur mod, but my wur was on around 2 bar :(, so you really need to work back wards, injectors, wur, metering head, then adjust the micture and idle!

6. azc-uk Forum Member

I have a feeling that my car is lean on acceleration because it was originally an 8v and someone did half a job at swapping a 16v into it. There were all sorts of bits and pieces missing!

To my way of thinking, the WUR probably controls acceleration enrichment, but it has to know the car is accelerating in some way - my guess is by some sort of vacuum coming from somewhere else. There is something that has been blanked off on the WUR - my guess is that is the vacuum for enrichment. See the pic here - http://www.chundee.co.uk/IMG_2192jpeg4.jpg Excuse the lens flare in the pics - the sun was pointing right at it!

Behind the electrical connector there is that black rubber thingy, which is blanking off something on the WUR. I reckon there should be a pipe going from there to somewhere else on the engine - can anyone verify that?

Thanks.
    Ajoy.

7. azc-uk Forum Member

OK, someone else has just told me that it should be blanked off, can anyone else verify this?

There is also the thin pipe on the side of the WUR that goes to the fatter pipe coming off the ISV. The end that goes into the ISV pipe has barbs on it, but wasn't a particularly good fit. I have just wrapped some leccy tape round it and pushed it back in to make it a bit more snug.

Any more ideas before I start drilling the wur?

Thanks!

8. Quasar Forum Member

Well... The Warm Up Regulator should have that hole blanked off as it is.
    There is also a hole to the side that should connect via a rubber hose to the inlet. That's your "accelaration sensor", the warm up regulator richens the mixture as manifold vacuum drops (as you press the pedal).
    Sounds like warm-up regulator needs tweaking, as already suggested. The mixture richens as you go clockwise IIRC.
    If you have a pressure gauge, around 49PSI control pressure when fully warm is ok. With the wideband, I would look for mixture in the order of 13.0-12.6
    Have fun!

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

kev higher fuel pressure = leaner

10. gti_kev Forum Member

Yes sorry mate, keep getting that one the wrong way around :) Dohhhh

11. azc-uk Forum Member

Hi All,

It looks like it is actually enriching when I accelerate - I took the WUR off and gave it 1/8th of a turn clockwise - it did make a diff because I had to reset the idle mixture, and I THINK it has made a difference on my cruising AFR, but it is still cruising at about 16:1 (cannot remember what it was cruising at before).

I have a feeling I have improved it, but that I need to turn it more. It's just a shame that the screw is in the face that sits against the head.

When you have to adjust the WUR, typically how much do you have to turn it by please? Is it as sensitive as say, the idle mixture screw?

Thanks!

12. gti_kev Forum Member

It's hard to say how much to turn it with out a fuel pressure gauge, i guess do it half a turn, then adjust the micture scre in the metering head until you get the best results, i don't know what reading is optimum on the afr gauge though!

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

turned mine loads....get it closer to 13.1

14. azc-uk Forum Member

Pigbladder: did you turn it clockwise to richen?

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

cant remember to be honest....i just drove it and turned it like 1/4 at a time until it was close...then fine tuned it

16. pigbladder Forum Addict

btw i also ad a pressure gauge on it

17. azc-uk Forum Member

OK, I have turned it one full turn clockwise now, and if anything i think it has made it run worse - the car still seems to cruise at 16.4:1 ish. Should I try anticlockwise or do you think the regulator is knackered?

18. gti_kev Forum Member

Without doing this properally like i said earlier it's hard to tell, because when you turn the wur, you have to re adjust the mixture in the metering head 2% idle!

Try turning it the other way, if it has made it worse then the wur is obviously responding!

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah try it the other way....best to check the pressure too, it could be high fuel pressure causing it

20. azc-uk Forum Member

Cool - I nipped into Pirtek just now and they have the kit to make up a pressure tester - I just need to go back there tomorrow with the car so I can get the right fittings put on the ends.