has my warmup regulator gone wrong?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by azc-uk, Apr 4, 2006.

1. gti_kev Forum Member

yep as above, if you do this without a gauge you could be compensating for a dodgy part and you could end up doing more damage! Just follow the guide in the FAQ's and then see how it goes from then. And don't worry about fuel comsuption, remember you bought a valver not a 1.1!

Mine is set correctly now, took me over a year to learn the engine (thanks to this and other forums) and tweak with everything, and i get an average of 28mpg motorway and urban and around 38-40mpg motorway only!

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

checked the idle on mine ..it idles nice anywhere between 13 ad 14.7:1

3. azc-uk Forum Member

Hi,

Yes I agree with you, it is getting repetitive, but I was only posting my observations onto here just so that if anyone else has a problem in the future they can see what I have tried etc with regard to what tweaking the WUR does. I find that when I try troubleshooting stuff, it is handier for me to know exactly what people observed when they tried x,y and z. Sorry for being a pain about it.

The gauge is going to be ready for me to collect tomorrow (one part was mis-picked from the pirtek main warehouse, or I would have had it today), and I will set it up as soon as it arrives.

Thanks.

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

but that was my point, there's no point trying this then that if you haven't set the main thing in the sytsem first.

the main factor in the correct running of the k-jet system is the fuel pressure, so no matter how much tweaking you do if this is wrong to begin with then you'll just be going round in circles.

5. PaulM Forum Member

have any of you guys thought about fitting a inline gauge. I'm toying with the idea of splicing in a 100 psi guage between the metering head and WUR. Anyone know where i can get a small ish gauge and what connections i should use?

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

gauges on ebay 99p....search fuel pressure gauge

7. PaulM Forum Member

oooo good thinking batman, i'll take a look-see. what diameter would you say the standard fuel line is on a 16v (inner that is)

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

4-5mm at a guess.....best go to a local hose place and have em make it all up

you planning to leave it on always?

9. azc-uk Forum Member

A friend of mine with a 2.0 16v turbo has one screwed into the end of his fuel rail that he made up. He keeps it in there all the time

It came in very handy when he was setting the car up and it wouldn't start after making some changes. After spending about an hour checking everything else, he glanced at the fuel pressure gauge, which was not registering. After checking the fuel pump was working, he realised that he was just plain out of fuel!

When I get my bill from Pirtek tomorrow (and my gauge hopefully) I will post a list of parts that they used to make it up, then everyone can go get their own, hopefully far cheaper than I am paying for mine. Just the gauge in Pirtek is something like 15!!! It might be higher quality, but then again I might have just got ripped off!

10. PaulM Forum Member

Yeah was thinking about it (on the bonnet one cool;) )
    Or at least to setup mine like you lot. mine runs ok but could be better.

11. gti_kev Forum Member

I thought about that also would be real handy, all you need then is to have 3 dials on the dash, one to control mixture, one for the wur and another for the idle speed :) all that with an afr and you would not have to open the bonnet!!! LoL

It would be good to have one inside the car, but when your talking about fuel, it's not such a good idea!

Paul, it's well worth doing mate, mine has never been so good, maybe just borrow (beg) the guy i borrowed it off, can't remember the good fellows name but it's in the FAQ's :)

12. PaulM Forum Member

just been looking at electrical fuel pressure gauge so you can have it the dash, bloody expensive though! having a gauge either in dash or under bonnet would be smart but probably overkill and impractical for every day use.

Kev - i've been meaning to have a play around with mine since i saw you thread about. Even if i don't fit it full time i might just get a gauge and splice into aa spare VW fuel line with the banjo ends. been running ok but has the jitters now from cold, much like pigbladder is suffering from. i think i have a air leak but can't find it!

13. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

don't forget you need a tap on the gauge to test the 2 different pressures, just set it up correct. you don't wanna be leaving it on!! extra chance of leaks etc, knocking about in the engine etc.

14. azc-uk Forum Member

I have given up on this - the gauge in Pirtek was going to cost almost a hundred quid!

I have simply set it up temporarily so it appears to run OK and the lambda readout is OK by using the wideband.

This time next month, my megasquirt should be on so hopefully it will be the end of these worries. Thanks for everyones help.