Hello from Gateshead!

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Gazzmondo, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Gazzmondo

Gazzmondo Paid Member Paid Member

OK. Replaced the drive flange seals a little while ago, but they've started leaking again. When I did them, I didn't replace the circlips or the rubber dishes inside the flanges. Looks like there's oil leaking from the splined bolts where the Drive Shaft bolts onto. I've heard a few people say that if oil gets past the rubber dish, then it'll leak through the bolts? So I've bought new Drive Flange Seals WITH dishes and circlips this time. Hopefully, this will cure the problem? Bought a New Green Sleeve from the VW Dealership as mine has a slight dent in it. My rebuilt starter motor has also died. With having a hot start problem, after cranking a good few times, the starter would just spin but not engage. When I turn the ignition off and remove the key, it still spins! Have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. So I'm guessing it's dead? Ordered a new one. Got a new gear selector linkage kit as my gear change is a little stiff. Going to source a weighted shift rod from a MK3. Also got a tonne of Viton and Nitrile o-rings to see if changing the ones on the Fuel Regulator in the metering head makes any difference, as local garage said fuel pressure drops to zero after 15-20 minutes. Bought a new Fuel Filter for good measure as well.

New parts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dodgy spinning starter motor:

[​IMG]

2. Gazzmondo

New starter motor has arrived

[​IMG]

3. Gazzmondo

Bit of a pain getting the old starter motor copper bush out of the housing. Tried getting it out with a M12 tap, but it didn't come out. Eventually got it out a small piece at a time with a very small screwdriver.
    The old starter came out no problem but the new one was very tight/stiff when pushing the shaft into the new pressed-in copper sleeve. So I put a little bit of grease on the shaft and tapped it in gently with a rubber mallet. I hope this is normal?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gazzmondo

I fitted the new green sleeve but when inserting the rubber seal, I left it about 2mm proud of the sleeve. Seems to have sorted the leaking oil problem as the new seal wasn't contacting the drive flange in the same place as the old one. The drive flange had visible marks where the old one had been rubbing. Still have to fit the new gear linkage kit.

[​IMG]

5. Gazzmondo

Only a small update. I had an oil leak from the oil filler cap. Bought a new one from Eurocarparts 6. That's it. Not very exciting.

The old...
    [​IMG]

The new...
    [​IMG]

6. Gazzmondo

Thought I'd tackle another little job I'm been meaning to do for ages - the heater control panel bulb. I used a small screwdriver to gently work my around the grey plastic back, loosening it off.
    Bought a replacement bulb from Maplin for 1.43. Job done!

Took it apart...
    [​IMG]

New bulb in...
    [​IMG]

Let there be light!
    [​IMG]

7. Gazzmondo

Not wanting to count my chickens, but I think the new starter motor has solved my hot start problems.
    Seems to start much better when it's been on a good run.

8. Gazzmondo

This arrived yesterday. I'll fit it at the weekend.

[​IMG]