Hi - n00b questions!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Kai, Apr 18, 2007.

1. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Hi there :)

First post, and already i'm jumping into the deep end!

I've just got myself a Mk3 Golf Gti 16v 5-door, however there are a few little niggles with it, namely the tacky chrome interior trimmings one of the previous owners added, but the main thing is, the engine always starts fine, however, sometimes you can be driving along and suddenly you'll lose all throttle response and occasionally it just dies. If you switch off the ignition and start it again, it's fine, but it's starting to get *really* annoying and somewhat dangerous to drive around if you dont feel like dicing with death!

I've been told this might be something to do with the Inlet Air Temp sensor - although being a Toyota Supra owner (classic Mk3), i thought it might be a faulty Throttle Position sensor.

Any thoughts, chaps? :)

Cheers and TIA

2. mark25 Forum Junkie

I would start with:

Imobiliser
    fuel filter
    X - contact relief relay
    ignition switch
    fuel pump relay

3. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Hmm - i suppose it could be, it's one of the things i'm going to be replacing, but the thing is the complete randomness of it...the car runs fine 90% of the time, pulls fine, isnt down on power by any means, just some time you hit the gas and nothing happens/chugs, or you'll come up to a junction, slow down and the engine just dies. Restarting it wouldnt clear any blockage, would it?

4. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Cheers for the list, will check them out later on this weekend....however, the immobiliser wouldnt cause it to just chug at the lights, would it?

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

any chance you got vagcom?

6. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Vagcom? What on earth is that?

It seems more likely to be an ignition system fault - seeing as it just cut out from 2000rpm the other day, and kept doing it at all the wrong times...and again, you'd put your foot to the floor and nothing would happen, the engine speed just wouldnt increase....Throttle Position Sensor or Coil Pack?

7. KAI

Kai Forum Member

bump

8. Antichav Forum Member

9. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Oooh - handy :)

10. vw_colourconcept Forum Member

i have the same problem... been told to to fit ecu relay (30) . sinse the change iv not had any problems.. lets hope it stays that way...

11. KAI

Kai Forum Member

ECU relay eh? Handy to know that :)

Did yours just stall out, or did it refuse to accelerate as well?

How much was the relay?

I've not driven it at all until recently - it was like dicing with death - stalling out halfway into pulling out from junctions - i really am just getting to the point of 'if i cant get this fixed soon, i'm selling it for scrap' - which would be a shame, because apart from this issue, its fine - even if it does need to be unpimped.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

got pics of how badly its been pimped? lol

a common cause of this is a faulty engine speed sensor or its wiring

13. KAI

Kai Forum Member

When i say pimped, i mean it has a rather nice SWG bodykit on it, Halo lights and it looks like its been well done on the outside, but on the inside, theres a MOMO handbrake, gearknob and a stupidly small steering wheel - and i'm trying to replace them with the OEM items.

Engine speed sensor - anyone able to point me to where that is? :)

14. KAI

Kai Forum Member

bump

15. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Anyone able to point me in the direction of the aforementioned sensor?

16. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Start with the ECU relay mate

17. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Okay - well, i got the ECU relay this morning after being assured it was the right one - and i look in the inordinately cramped fusebox on this ****ing wet morning.....and there isnt a corresponding relay at all, and nothing in the owners manual to say where the f*cking thing is supposed to go!

Could someone either a) tell me where its supposed to go, with pictures or b) inform me of someone who wants to buy this 'car' - i seriously am getting ****ed off with it crapping out and stalling again and again and again.

*GRRR*

Apologies for getting annoyed - i just feel like i might as well be setting fire to huge wads of cash with this damn thing...

18. Pete Taylor Forum Member

[​IMG]

Don't know if thgis helps but it's a pic of the fuse board and relays in my valver, can't see the pic as i'm on t'internet at work so I can't remember if you can clearly see the relay numbers

19. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Aaah - theres a second row of them...

Is there any way to unclip the block cause i cant get my large hands in there and theres a bigass piece of sheet metal blocking the way!

20. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Decided to pull 4 of the relays out in order, and eventually found the #30 relay, replaced it no problem and put all the plastics back (i removed the whole lower cowling to get to it!).

Started it up....idled lumpy for a minute or two, then settled down to a nice even 900rpm.

Put my foot on the gas and it died. Restarted, was fine for 20 feet, then died again, killing the power steering and almost introducing me to a garden wall [:D]

Started AGAIN, drove another 20 feet, then it did it again. Restarted and from that point onwards - it's been fine. I'm assuming it did this because power was yanked from the ECU (i removed the fuse too), and it lost the ignition map, and i didnt allow it to idle for long enough to 're-learn' the map?