Hi - n00b questions!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Kai, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Fuel pump relay, not fuel filter relay.

Number 30 is the ECU relay and I believe the fuel pump relay is 167 if I remember correctly

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Pete is correct about the relays, check my fusebox FAQ though :)

Crank position sensor is easy-ish to replace, you have to support the engine under the gearbox bellhousing then remove the front engine mount & starter to get at it, then its held in place with an allen bolt.

Dizzy is simplicity itself, on the ABF the dizzy is fixed in position so all you do is unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one the same way round :)

3. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Aaah ok - well i'll get a new dizzy (40 for one! yay!) but if the crank position sensor needs replacing, its garage time...oh the cost of that will be f*cking joyful >_<

And yeah i meant Fuel Pump [:D]

4. KAI

Kai Forum Member

It's fixed! New Dizzy was all it needed....jeeez...i had no idea VW's could be so problematic to diagnose - i suppose i learned something though...

It's for sale though - offers, anyone? :)

5. Aphex Forum Junkie

Good to hear it's sorted.

6. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Indeed, although its very much a case of out of the frying pan into the fire - The supra's rebuild is over, but the modding only just begun ;)

7. Aphex Forum Junkie

The funs just about to start then! :lol:

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Should`ve bought a Mk2...[8(] :lol:

9. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Stu - Supra or Golf? :p

Aphex - i should say, i just got done with the rebuild and now i'm stripping it back to a rolling shell [:D]

10. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Still having problems with trying to find a new dizzy - anyone got one knocking around thats known good?

11. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Thought you'd fixed it with a new dizzy? [:s]

12. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

mmm, maybe it played up again?

I had/have the same problem with mine (sort of)
    vagcom came up with hall sender fault and replaced it with another dizzy which lasted all of a week then started playing up again, another mechanic claims it's not the dizzy as it's either ****ed or it isn't and mine can go without a problems for a few months, so i've just left it :)

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Like I said...should have bought a Mk2...

...Golf, obviously...;)

14. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Exactly - worked fine for about a month then bye bye it went, back to the same old tricks - and i decided to leave it on the drive and forget about it - bought a ford focus diesel as a runabout instead...

But, still trying to get it up and running, although now, i have to deal with the fact some @rsehole has torn off the radio aerial, the rear wiper blade, the rear badge and it's been driven into by the dozy indian neighbour opposite who has made a mess of the rear end :(

I swear this thing is a damage magnet :(

15. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    How close are you to Ealing ?

16. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Nearer to Southalal. I mean, southall ;)

17. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Yay! Aerial done, mirror glass done, rear wiper arm on order, just a new dizzy to be ordered tomorrow - none of this reconditioned crap!

18. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Sods law stepped in once again! It seems to have a personality all of its own, this car...

Went to pick up the distributor 10 days ago and ot 4 miles from home on country roads before it died. Completely. No spark at all - everything was just dead. It'd crank, but the dizzy and the coil had breathed their last and expired. Of course, called the dealership but they didn't have a tow truck. So, called a mate of mine, who knows a mate who owns a garage, and came out with the tow truck to come and get me. He said he'd do it cheaper than the VW dealership and knowing that he was recommended by someone who i trust, i agreed. A week later, i picked it up and vroom vroom, it was alive once again.

But, less than a minute from leaving the forecourt, it started buggering me around AGAIN - despite the BRAND NEW dizzy and coil. Not anywhere near as bad as before, nor as frequent, i can actually drive it without too much fear of ploughing myself into a ditch.

Now, instead of just randomly dying on me all the time, it'll do it only once every few days, and only then, when slowing down. And instead of just not accelerating at all on occasion, for the most part it accelerates brilliantly, albeit on the same days as it stalls, it'll hesitate to accelerate and just take off like it's been kicked in the nuts instead of just bogging down and dying.

So that leaves part number: 165 906 381

The ECU Relay....

How many of these things have i gone through? 3 - all faulty ones!!!

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

got another mk3 local you can swap bits with?

id be tempted to swap a crank sensor and see what happens. what does vagcom say?

20. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Uhm - haven't had that done. Dealership charges are insane and i cant spare the cash.

Crank sensor would be next on the list, but again, can't do that without breaking out my tools that have been in Reading for over a year now :(