hold on to your sides

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Matt82, Sep 22, 2010.

1. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

not for a long while yet ;) :thumbup:

2. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

we are going to start building them in knock down kit where they will be assembled in the local market like India and China but that is to reduce the sales cost of the car in it's local market

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

Old thread but saw a prototype this morning stuck in the traffic jam going south of oxford on the A34! Wish I was near it to get some shots to try and make some money :lol:.

Wasn't as big as I was expecting, but was covered in black with yellow swirls/lines to try and hide the body lines but its shape is so unique it wasn't hard to tell plus it was coming from the usual direction I see all the new Range/Land Rovers come from.

I'm awaiting the 'spy shots' now of it with the yellow swirls on the black paint but remember you heard it hear first :lol:

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Was Posh driving it, continuing her very real R&D work on this vehicle?

Perhaps she's helping with the final mapping calibrations? [:p] :lol:

5. 2.0 MK2 Forum Member

I heard that in addition to an eye for the latest fashion trends, she has also brought valueable insight into turbo diesel after treatment systems that will allow this vehicle to meet the forthcoming euro 6 emissions regulations with stylish elan.

With the future 'fleet average' co2 emissions legislation JLR have been forced into a corner. They HAVE to produce more fuel efficient vehicles, otherwise in 2017 they won't be able to make and sell any cars at all in the US, with similar demands being placed on them for the Euro market.

Unlike most other car companys they don't have crappy 3 cylinder polos or tin can citroen C3's to help them average down their emissions. And yet, when backed into a corner, they have come out and produced an amazing looking car that, in its most frugal form, will sneak into the 35 a year tax band!

The 2wd isn't compulsory - its completely optional. No it won't have the off road capability of a disco or a defender, but it will be the best in its class - no other manufacturers mini- off roader will touch it off road.

Finally, here we have a company that is powering out of the recession selling more cars than ever before in its history, all of which have been designed & manufactured here in the UK - with most of them being exported for sale overseas - thats a rare thing that should be supported not slated.

miserable ****ers!

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Reminds me a lot of the new (or newish) Fiesta [xx(]

7. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

:clap:

8. prof Forum Addict

:thumbup::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

it looks nothing like a fiesta, go to specsavers on your way home

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

James May:

"Even though it's covered in Range Rover badges, it doesn't look particularly tough or off-roady."

19:05:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012m668/Top_Gear_Series_17_Episode_3/

"So it's the perfect place (Death Valley) to decide if the Evoque is a proper off roader, or just a big designer girl's blouse."

"Underneath, it's based on the old Freelander, which is loosely related to the Ford Mondeo."

"Soon the going started to get much tougher.."

< Blah, blah >

"But eventually the Evoque had to throw in the towel."

It's not a Range Rover. I thank you. [:^:] :thumbd:

10. amstrange1 Forum Member

It's based on the current (L359) Freelander 2, which is a Ford/Volvo/JLR EUCD platform - it's more Freelander than Mondeo/Galaxy/S80/S60 etc. The early mules were L359s.

It's a Land Rover in a sharp suit, bit like a RR Sport...

11. Admin Guest

slick mick road tyres didn't help.

not my cup of tea but i'm sure it'll sell.

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I still really like it.

13. prof Forum Addict

ahh. I see clarkson said "it looks fantastic" and May said "it's really rather good offroad" so as usual I was right [:D]

who needs a low ratio box etc when you have a billion torques from a hot TDi engine

14. prof Forum Addict

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[:^:]

16. amstrange1 Forum Member

Not quite sure why the Freelander 2 chassis is such an issue? The RR Sport is a Disco underneath.

17. prof Forum Addict

he never said it was a lame vehicle, which it clearly isn't.

18. 2.0 MK2 Forum Member

Indeed. Better off road than the Freelander 2 infact, which is the bench mark in that segment (due to the evoque having superior ground clearance, approach & departure angles).

19. danster Forum Addict

Modern pish. Not just Landies but all these supper dooper 4x4s. [xx(]

I maintained a fleet of brand new Landrover vehicles for a couple of years at an off road driving school / centre, there were 2 x Freelanders, 2 x Discoveries, 2 x Range Rovers, and 1 x 90, and 1 x 110.

The way the traction control works is like ABS in reverse. IE when one wheel is spinning the TC ECU fires on the brake to limit rotation of that wheel and direct the drive to others that have grip to allow vehicle to continue driving. However the problem is when these vehicles are used to go wading in mud and water they eat brake pads and shoes. Like 45 miles to a full set of brand new OEM rear shoes on the Freelander down to the metal. :o
    The rear disc pads lasted a little longer, but they had a very small pad area which means they last a very short space of time when used in a true off road nature.
    It was very impressive where the vehicles could go even with road based tyres. But I very much doubt joe public was told they would need to replace the brakes at such short intervals if the vehicles were being used in certain conditions. Probably get away with a decent service interval bumping up kerbs whilst dropping the kids off at school in London mind. :lol:

20. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

are you miserable sods still slating this car? it looked fantastic on top gear, extremely capable off road (even though that was the ONLY time you will ever see one off road so irrelevant ) its stunning to look at well equipped and not that far off the price of a high specced new golf r which is only a hatchback with 4wd and will be useless off road...