Hotgolf Mk2 Golf 2.1 16v. Got there in the end!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Hotgolf, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Using a Quaife 6spd. dog box, has a 3.9 final drive. The ratio's are the std. set sent from Quaife unless you specify something different.

2. nass Forum Member

Mart

It's took me an hour to read this thread and now i defo need that engine mate see you in a weeks time

Nas

3. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I'm having a Ricardo 5 speed dog box fitted as we speak now was a 5.08 FD which I had changed to 4.7 instead. How do you treat a dog box, any tips? Can't say I#ve had any experiance with a dog box

Will have to pop down soon and show you the snot and look at your mk2 ;)

4. Hotgolf

4.7!!!!!! Hope you don't plan on driving any distances lol.
    Clutch down, rag it up, short and shark through the gears going up, don't be afraid to whack it in. Gotta clutch on the way down though, double preferably as the weight of even a lightened and balanced flywheel doesn't do the box much good. Better off with something like a small AP twin plate setup.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hope you're sorted Mart - spoke to Paul the other night, hoping to see this one light up the rollers on the London RR day :thumbup:

Change swiftly between the gears, avoid slow changes, as it'll wear the dog rings.

More here

- so not a lazy drive as such, even when just on a track commute :thumbup:

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Glad you found the cause, Mart. Really looking forward to seeing the latest beast. Mind the speed cameras round the big smoke ;)

7. Hotgolf

Should have it sorted soon and ready for the rollers, just waiting on some oversize guides if they are still available.

8. Hotgolf

Finally finished, although not been on the rollers for a proper setup.
    Oil burning problem was down to the wear in the guide holes in the head, and on over-run was sucking oil down. I fixed the problem with some funky machining on some new std. guides of which i have some pics to get up.

Anyway, it goes really well, especially with the 6spd quaife dog box. Comes on cam really late as I found out against a vr last night, something around 6k. Main thing was he was in the rear view mirror, and getting smaller ;)

Gutted to have missed Eddies rolling road even after booking a place but things didn't work out right for the weekend. Would actually prefer to get it onto stealth, to see a comparison of the motor compared to the mk1. It's not about the dyno lottery and big figures, but the fact the old motor was dyno'd there and want to see if there's an improvement in the different spec.
    Again, 2.1 pulls cleanly to 8400rpm limit, but with the 304 deg. cams should be making better use of it. The mk1 was producing 209bhp below 6 1/2k from what I remember.
    Anyone organising one in the future?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  9. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds good, was hoping to see this machine on the rolllers:p

10. TDB86 Forum Member

Glad youve got it sorted mart. When you sort a date for putting it on the rollers let me know because ill bring the mk1 down cos its had a re-tune since then.

11. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

SW-CC are having a rolling road day at Got Boost in Brackla on the 21st Novemeber
    http://www.sw-cc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=85347&st=0

With your Dog Box, do you often shift up without the clutch or do you rather use a clutch? I haven't spent much time driving the car since I had my box fitted but the times I have driven the car I've found it smoother to change up with the clutch.

12. Hotgolf

Same here, changing up with the clutch is really smooth, but when hammering along, not using it works really well, and really quick.
    Coming down is a nightmare still, can't seem to get it right, and baning it in feels like my engines going to jump out!
    Just paid deposit for the brackla run. Need to sort my driveshaft out now!

13. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I have managed with the down shifts using heal to toe braking but found even flat out I can change up quicker using the clutch, without the clutch they go in nice but can feel some resistance. Don't know if I'm not doing it hard enough or not lining up the gears too good (no spring return to centre) but when using the clutch I find it really smooth when flat out.... Smoother than my Passat shift when driving normal.

I'll be taking my Ibiza on the rollers that day to, so I'll take you out and show you. been looking at the Motorsport shifter thread and tried using the part numbers for the short lever and bass bush but no luck! I've found a drawing of the bush so I may need your expertise soon!

14. Hotgolf

Got some support bushes here to go in the housing, I'll have to see the drawing for the other ones.

15. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

That could well be the bush I'm thinking of, replaces the plastic one? And then need some bearing washers either side?

16. mk21147 Forum Member

I though if you use your clutch when changing up the gears on a dog box it caused more wear on the dogs. I only ask as I have a dog box in my daily car & never use the clutch on up shifts because of this. I do however end up driving the car a lot harder all the time so I get smother gear changes.

17. Hotgolf

I dunno to be honest. The up changes are really smooth with the clutch even when changing slowly, but still smooth when you 'ram it in'!
    The only downside with using the clutch is that you could stop the internals at low speed and not get it in at all.

18. TORNADO_Red

TORNADO_Red New Member

I was taken out for a spin in this the other day and it's ballistic :thumbup: seriously impressive and my neck was a little bit sore after :lol:

19. Hotgolf

Had oil issues again, so managed to remove 2 inlet valve springs from No. 2 chamber on the head without removing the head.
    Pulled the stem seal off no. 4 inlet, and pulled the guide out by hand!!

Head off for a full overhaul and repair to come soon. Will also skim it a little more, re-angle the seats, and polish the valve chambers.

Had it on the rollers today with the SWCC club and pulled decent power comparing it to Dinky Daves Ibiza.
    This is just a comparison as his was the only other 16v n/a car there, so..
    His car was producing around 207bhp after mapping at Saxon motorsport. 2 litre 16v with 276 cams on 45 DTH Jenveys.
    Today pushed 155@wheels

My 2.1 16v with larger cams on 45 webers pushed 160bhp@wheels (190fly) and 164ft/lbs.
    Engine produced max bhp at 7300rpm although the rpm isn't printed on the graph doh!
    There should be a bit more to come from it as the engine hadn't actually been setup on the rollers, just thrown together and timing set on the drive so not a bad result.

Rollers were : Mainline Dynolog Chassis Dynamometer 500. Again, with most dyno days the general consenus from the lads, and even the operator was that the rollers were reading low compared to other days, by around 20bhp. Still a good result, and nothing went pop!

20. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Oi it was 157@wheels, that 2whp makes a difference lol.... bit gutted but thats the rollers for you, only put it on there for fun [:D]

Was nice to finally see your Golf fella and catch up with you, been a while!