I want to supercharge my ABF, advice needed!

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Carl loader, Sep 4, 2007.

1. eatonmk2 Forum Member

It works well like Toyotec said and that was at 6/7psi! Just before taking the car off the road I replaced the pulley and was seeing 12/14 psi which will give a very nice jump in torque, once Toyotec maps it.

2. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Ask away;)

There's a mk1 which I did , it's a 9a running stage1, std C/R low boost, this car is used daily and came 5th overall in it's class on sunday at GTI inter, here's a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7JfT9JBHEE

Nando

3. steve r

steve r Forum Member

BBM still sell the kit, they did a final run and still have a few left, see my first post for the web site.

4. Carl loader Forum Member

Right, cheers for all the info guys, very helpful. I did originally want to use the G60 charger for originallity but there seams to be plenty of the mercedes chargers around so can anyone explain to me about what sort of brackets are required to hold it to the block etc

@ Nando: that mk1 goes well! Would you be able to take any pics of the charger in position and any info that might be handy for constructing brackets, pulley arrangements etc

Cheers guys

5. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

i am thinking of doing this aswell after i saw a ibiza at donny north with a eaton on[:D] i thought a g60 charger wouldn't be much good for a 16v as i heard you weren't meant to take a g60 charger over 5800rpm?[:s]

6. Carl loader Forum Member

Don't know about the speed but my mates 20v G60 syncro goes to 7K :o

7. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I think everyone's interested in doing this! I think Toyotec and N7NDO should make Eaton M62 mounting brackets and short inlet manifolds for the ABF to sell as a kit ;)

So am I right in thinking, I could run an Eaton m62 supercharger with a modified inlet manifold, with standard ECU, no need for compression change either, but with a larger pulley for low boost just to get a wee bit more low down torque and an awesome noise to begin with?

8. coilbox Forum Member

sorry, the link dident come up

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

9. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers for the link mate. Just looking at the list for the VW piston/rod combo (might not go down this route but handy to know), the ABF one's are listed a scompression ratio of 9:1, is that low enough (i don't know s**t but i always thought you had to go lower)

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

My KR with stacked G60 gaskets and running 15psi has lasted over 7000 miles with no engine problems at all (a few gearbox problems though!), this included 2 or 3 trackdays.

11. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers Keith, good to know there's some reliable cars out there with stacked head gaskets...

Right, next question, what shall i do about management? Can i run my existing management (original ABF ecu), have it custom mapped, or go for a stand alone ecu such as megasquirt (which ever option is the cheapest and easiest is the route i'll go down)

12. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Maybe you should ask..................

The std ecu can only read 2psl of boost and the std injectors are only good for 180ish.

13. Carl loader Forum Member

Right so i definately need to look into injectors and management/remapping then

So as i can't use the ABF injectors (all together as one piece with the rail), is it easy enough to use different injectors on the inlet manifold? If so, anyone got any ideas of what ones i should use?

And what can i do about management for running it (easiest/cheapest option possible)?

14. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I've heard people using 1.8T fuel rails and S2 injectors

15. eatonmk2 Forum Member

You could up the fuel pressure which would be good for 200ish but it's too tight as stage 1 is 200/220.
    You'll need to drill out the std injector holes then tap the holes so that you could fit the 8v digi injector seats, you'd also need to get spares made(from injector to fuel rail) as the fuel rail will not fit in between the manifold. Best way would be to use a short inlet manifold which helps as you end up with a shorter boost run.

16. eatonmk2 Forum Member

M/S works well (if you know the right people)

17. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

hi there, well where do i begin. :lol:
    just a couple for now then, which size pully did you use on the charger and what was it off or did you use a custom made one? also how did you you come to the conclusion you needed this size and is there a formula to go use to calculate it as i wanna learn as well, its a big reason why im thinkin of doin it as ive done everything but major engine work on a car?
    is a std 16v box up to handling it with an uprated clutch or should a different one be used?
    how hard is it to put one of those megasquirt ecus together and to make a loom?
    thanks for any answers, i am doing as much reasearch as i can before startin this.

18. Carl loader Forum Member

Just as curious as me then :lol:

Eaton: what injectors and fuel rail are you running? Have you got any pics of your engine, just to get an idea of hows it all looks

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I run a BBM rail with 440cc/min injectors (really 500cc/min at higher rail pressure), megasquirt is as good as anything and easy to tune.

20. Admin Guest

The injector seats just screw out and the Digi will just screw in without the need to drill.

Abit like this...

[​IMG]