Ibiza Cupra Sport 16v iTB Track Car - Aero & Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dave R, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

It doesn`t say it has to be road legal, I never said that.

Look at Javelin`s T&C`s.

I don`t just make stuff up and pass it on as fact you know lol

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

thats not written in the version they just sent me for anglesey. i dont make stuff up either.

and none of this says lights are required. it says they should work. std mot stuff.

i would be seriously ****ed off if the dragged me off track for having no lights when there are some absolute deathtraps running around sometimes.

3. Nige

Not disagreeing about deathtraps !! I`m sure we`ve all seen some truly shocking builds out there :o

Anyway, I just wanted to make Dave aware now rather than say "Oh, I knew that could be an issue.." If he was denied track access sometime in the future :thumbup:

RobT likes this.
  4. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Wonder if a bright led light in the window screen is ok? Like the blue ones you see in the top cars at Le Mans and other 24hr racing?

5. Notso Swift Forum Member

6. Cupra_Rally Forum Member

Any lighting inside glass will reflect the light inside the car.....not a great idea. LM cars tend to have them on the roof don't they? If inside glass, they'd be in carefully engineered housing to minimise reflection. Most of their lights come from headlights.

Why not fit OEM fogs in the bumper? In fact, these wouldn't have to be fitted permanently, you could keep them on standby if the weather/light did go dodgy and fit them when at the track. As long as a loom is there on hand (and would only need a few meters of cable + a relay so the weight issue isn't really a problem) it might stop you being sent home early.

Or you could just fit the headlights?

7. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Thats what I said above, refit the grille and lights. I'll just take my headlights and grille, not hard to swap other if it means I can carry on with my day

The fog light idea, I foolish sold them a while ago lol.

8. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Thats what I said above, refit the grille and lights. I'll just take my headlights and grille, not hard to swap other if it means I can carry on with my day

The fog light idea, I foolish sold them a while ago lol.

9. AjVR Forum Member

Car looks like its progressing nicely. You have a date you want to get out next? Any engine rebuild progress?

10. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Engine will be built at the end of the month, not setting any dates its done when its done

11. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

The snot went upto Old School Engineering last Friday for painting and after a family weekend away I collected the car this afternoon when I got home.

[​IMG]

Finally got it into the garage, with no engine it's pretty hard work pushing the car around with the wife steering the car haha. Put the front end together minus the splitter because I'm currently painting that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The headlights are going black with E11evens "E11" logo on them and then the grill will be going black to and I hope I can have the SEAT "S" and GTi 16v on it (bit like the BTCC fake grilles)

Dash fitted lovely after a bit of trimming at the passenger side and the front roll cage designed, built and painted by EJ Classics. Love the look of my new office
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

An extra clip put on the bonnet to stop it blowing up a bit and colour coded so it doesn't look too silly lol
    [​IMG]

And always wanted the engine bay sprayed but never wanted to remove the engine so this blow up gave me a good enough reason to do it!
    [​IMG]

Got a bit of work to do before it's ready for the engine, rebuild the engine bay, refit the brake servo, etc... bleed brakes, got some trick suspension parts to fit, build up the interior and wire up the dash and test it a bit more. Hopefully I can do that all before the engine is ready, few late nights in between work.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    vr6smith, jamesa, Nige and 2 others like this.
  12. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

such a tidy job on the interior.. fab.

Dave R likes this.
  13. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I've 3 weeks off from work so last week I managed to spend a bit of time on the car to get it ready to get it down to Saxon Motorsport very soon. Mark has built the engine and looking over my gearbox so now it's all on me to pull my finger out a bit more [8(]

Fitted my Dash 2 onto the dash, very pleased with how this looks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed my old rear beam that had the Powerflex Black Series bushes in
    [​IMG]

To make room for the new rear beam with rose jointed bushes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Very impressed with the thought that has gone into this beam, even down to the rear arb drop link bracket, so credit to you Rob :thumbup:

I had some mounts made up with a 28mm diameter so I can fit my 28mm rear arb instead of the 25mm but also means I can try either arb when I feel like.
    [​IMG]

Painted my front splitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went about fitting my rose jointed track rod ends
    [​IMG]

Had to cut about 12 threads off the end to make them suit my car and the uprights have had the track rod hole bored out to suit the sleeve and are now off to have the ball joint extension pin welded onto it.

Fitted new seals onto my master cylinder since it was off
    [​IMG]

I just didn't get my hands on the rear beam but also the front arb that's adjustable, also again credit to Rob this is a nice piece of work!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It sits in about the same place like this when the car is on all 4's so instead of welding a bracket like Rob did I'm going to try and use a drop link mounting collar that threads onto the coilover like below;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found two places in the USA that supply the last two photos, the black one has a 3 week wait and the red one is available now. Personally I think the black collar would be more suited but the red one does look more beefy.

The calipers have also been dropped off down to Godspeed brakes for a check over and fresh paint since they are off so I should get them back this weekend along with my rear arb that's been powder coated.

vw_singh, Nige, Toyotec and 1 other person like this.
  14. Nige

Is this going racing / competing when it`s finished ? It`s ending up to be a very high spec !

15. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I am thinking about competing, was hoping to do it this year but that hasn't worked out so will get the feel for the car again now and look into something next year. Nothing serious and maybe local but these parts came up for sale on a motorsport ad site and they were too good of a price to turn down!

The ball joint extension is something I wanted to do anyway.

16. sports racer Forum Member

Adjustable front arb had me drooling. It's just that little bit better than you'd normally expect, which pretty well describes most parts in your car. :thumbup:

Cheers

Paul

Dave R likes this.
  17. HummuH Forum Member

Good work mate, like the look of the rear beam. Was that a custom job?

Have you ever run without a front ARB?

18. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

OEM beam with bushes that were designed and made by Dave on here.

No I haven't a few of my mates did on a rainy track day in their 106's & 205's but I never have. I have been waiting for a very wet track day to remove my rear arb and see if that would help. You?

19. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Yesterday I fitted the uprights and I decided to give the car a good wash, clay and wax since I was waiting on my callipers, carb & drop link mounts.... it hadn't been washed in 10 months. Then I couldn't help myself and had to fit the splitter after it was all painted.

Loving the straight lower arms
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then fitted the splitter, once I got the hand of it it won't take long to remove and fit, slots onto the subframe and then 4 brackets to bolt on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vw_singh likes this.
  20. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

looking good Dave
    how much more have you to do