Ibiza Cupra Sport 16v iTB Track Car - Aero & Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dave R, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Not a lot, will have my calipers back Tuesday and rear arb and waiting on my front arb drop link mounts from the U.S. Fit them all and bleed brakes.

Then I can get the engine fitted and suspension set up. Hopefully writhin the next month or two I will be on track!

Which will be either Llandow, Combe or Pembrey..... Which ever track has a track day first, which will probably be Llandow which is only 40mins away for me so a nice close one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Buggirl

Buggirl Forum Member

Wow! Loads of impressive work here! Love your other dubs sneaking into the corners of the shots too! Looks like an impressive collection! You bringing the a Seat to The next track day?

3. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Thanks, a few VW's have come and gone lately tho. I'm not going to look at booking a track day until I can take the car for a blast down a "closed/private" road.

4. HummuH Forum Member

Yeah, I've ran without one all this season. Been going faster without it but can't say for sure that's why. I now prefer it, at Knockhill certainly which is a slow corner track, turns in better. Not sure I'd run without it on a faster track though.

Dave R likes this.
  5. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

While I was waiting for the Brembo's to be refurbed and my rear arb to come back from the powder coater I used some Dei Gold wrap on my air box. Not a big fan of it but function over fashion is what counts and the wrap doesn't look this bad in the flesh, was pleased with my work until I looked at these photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ARB all powder coated
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brembo's all refurbed with new decals, my mate at Godspeed done an awesome job (as usual) on these. Just before Castle Combe (engine blow up) I found some black bits in my brake fluid after bleeding the brakes, lucky my mate mentioned the would benefit with some new paint because on stripping them done he found that I started to melt the seals on the bore so all new seals were fitted and think it's time I look at some brake ducting asap!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got my grille all sticker'd up before people ask number 98 is just the Manufacture year of my car and I like high numbers, if I compete in anything soon I'll change the number to whatever number I'm given then.
    [​IMG]

Ordered the drop link brackets from Tarett Engineering in the states, very pleasant company to deal with, quick on replies, very helpful and sorted my order straight away.... just what you expect and want from a company. They supply Porsche suspension parts but the rear drop links they supply for 993/996 are M52x1.5mm thread which was the same has my dampers. Parcel Force were a bit slow, they came into the UK last Thursday and only yesterday the part tracking showed a charge needed to be paid so a quick drive up to Newport to pay and collect because I couldn't wait till today or Friday to have them.

Saves me getting the dampers stripped, welded and re-gassed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then later that evening with some help from the wife to get the snot onto the trailer ready for my 3:30am start to Saxon Motorsport this morning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I stuck the carbon air duct on and taped it all up to allow it to set and to stop my filter getting wet on the trip down.

It's been a manic few weeks, had 3 weeks off from work and spent about 2 weeks in total on the car and trying to make some time for the family.... luckily we're heading to Florida soon so I kept reminding them of that when I was in the garage lol. So work is now over to the safe hands at Saxon Motorsport to work their magic and the next time I see the snot it'll be propelled under it's own steam and not by be pushing it!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  6. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Here's my original block, you can see where the rod exited the engine lol
    [​IMG]

Remaining pistons
    [​IMG]

As you can see I have 3 rods and pistons left, one rod is damaged where the broken rod from cylinder 4 got over to cylinder 3 where the rod in 3 hit the broken rod out of the block.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to purchase some 50mm clock faces off of eBay and turn them into a corned/piston clock.
    [​IMG]

HummuH and Sirguydo like this.
  7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ouch and they don't look cheap either
    What broke the rod itself ?

8. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Suspect number 4 bearing slipped and then it was a case of pick up on the bearing & journal and heat which basically melted the rod then.

Fitting ACL bearings instead of OEM bearings, shame it wasn't done in the first place but then again didn't expect it to happen.

9. MUSHY 16V

Aye if the bearing picked up it could just fold the rod in two like butter

Always amazes me the amount of damage that can be done

10. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Not an update on the car but since the garage is empty and I thought the floor needed painting again, I decided to get some rubber tiles instead. So ordered a load from Mototile which are a pleasure to deal with, it's basically a big child's jigsaw when it comes to fitting it.... so easy to do but does kill your hand cutting the tiles with a Stanley knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I opted for the recycled tiles because they were much cheaper than the new ones and when comparing the samples (scratching with a knife) the recycled tiles were a bit more hard wearing. These tiles come in grey or black and are made up from old tiles and bits of wires, you can see brown, blue & earth cables when you cut the tiles.

If the garage was more of a "show garage" then I would have gone for the new tiles but end of the day when the car is in the garage it's on axel stands longer than it is on it's wheels lol.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  11. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

http://mototile.com/interlocking-tiles-500mm.html

Great find, I have bookmarked that one! I may head down that route when we finish the garage as i'm not sure the floor is going to be great. What are they like to lie on or is it just as hard as concreate...Just not as cold?

12. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

How would they stand up to a trolley jack Dave, or spatters from a welder?

13. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I've got the Motolock type tiles, they 7mm thick but are solid to be honest. It is like laying on the floor but a tiny bit warmer lol.

It says in the FAQ that it can take point loading from jacks and axel stands. I've got them ramps which spread the load but will be using boards when the car is on the stands just incase.

http://mototile.com/motolock-interlocking-flooring-shop.html

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    MUSHY 16V likes this.
  14. MUSHY 16V

Aye Dave that looks well smart love it
    Have thought about doing the same
    Only problem I have is I do a fair bit weld and grind in the garage so maybe not the best solution for me shame as your's looks great

15. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

You can order samples for free off the web site. Could try some welding over them and see how they hold out.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  16. TomAKL

TomAKL Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome work on this car man! Very well done!
    I plan to hit the track in my Golf Mk3 throughout 2016, so hopefully if i spot the snot i will introduce myself and ask for a look around :)

Given me wayyy too many ideas now ... Keep up the good work!
    Tom

17. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Hi Tom, thanks butty! Hopefully I'll be able to get one or two days in over the winter.... crap myself on wet track days but love it at the same time lol.

Welcome to have a look around if you do see me!

18. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

A very little update, the snot is going for dyne check on Monday and it's all been corner weighted and suspension set up with the crash diet the snot's been on and even with the front splitter and that it now weighs 925 Kgs. Very happy with the weight loss

Sirguydo likes this.
  19. AjVR Forum Member

Good to see it all coming together for the new year - Dyno lottery guess of 237.6bhp

20. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

What's the stock weight Dave?