Ihi vf34 Fixed it :-)

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by ben mk2, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ben mk2 Forum Member

I've just bought an ihi vf34 for my agu mk2 :-) I'm trying to get a list of all the other bits I'm going to need to support it.
    my plan is to run it on standard management at about 300bhp, then poss increase that if I ever get round to making the car 4wd. I'm secretly hoping Santa (my credit card) will bring me a slippy diff for now!

so far ive got the following :
    turbo ihi vf34
    jabbasport manifold and down pipe
    oil feed lines
    shallow sump
    phenolic gasket for my inlet manifold
    2.5" exhaust and boost pipes
    air filter
    various heat shields etc

I'm not sure about fuel delivery yet, poss vr6 tank and pump? at the moment the car is 210bhp (ish) and I'm still using the original digi setup.
    I cant decide which injectors to use, Bosch green giants (440cc) or something a bit bigger, maybe 550cc?
    Either way would I be right in thinking they need to be high impedance to work with the standard ECU?

Would plugs one step, or two steps colder be the best?

I'll try and source a vr6 or s3 maf, or could I just use my current one fitted into custom stainless pipes? I want the have the air filter fitted behind the headlight with some sort of heat shield setup so I'm going to have to make custom intake pipes for this anyway.

Would a dash mounted manual boost controller work with the management if I want to calm things down, in
    heavy rain for example?
    The rods will also be upgraded, I'm going to try and source some from the UK rather than pay lots of import fees/tax!

sorry for the long list of questions and thanks in advance for any help, should be a giggle once its done!

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

525 siemens or

550 genesis injectors that way you have 400 bhp potential with 4bar fpr

Decent intercooler

Vr6 or R32 throttle body depending if you are on cable or fly by wire

Bosch 044 pump in line with in tank pump 400+ bhp potential future proof

3. ben mk2 Forum Member

Cheers for the info, I've only just seen ur reply! Had found the genesis 550's and now I know that's the way I'm gonna go. Thanks for the heads up on the throttle body, hadn't thought about that one! Turbo came today so I'm gonna get some pics up tomorrow! Already got a nice big FMIC in place.

4. dsj20v Forum Member

Think a fair few run ngk bkr7e plugs at that sort of power

5. ben mk2 Forum Member

Thanks for the plug info!

Few pics to whet the old appetite

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got loads more questions but also cooking dinner for the in laws so don't want another bout of food poisoning :-)

If anyone has any input please feel free! Next job is to finish tucking the wiring loom then pull the engine to fit some rods and other bits and bobs!

Not the best engine bay pic but it gives an idea of how things stand at the mo!

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

What engine bay pic?

And who ever said its a bad idea to give inlaws some food poisoning!? Lol

That downpipe has quite a sharp shallow bend imediately after hot side which is not ideal for big power but it will work ok just get your engine mapping man to keep an eye on egt-s and i would suggest you fit a gauge!

Also if you planing on having a car on track now is the time to throw some baffles into your sump

7. ben mk2 Forum Member

Sorry, silly boy

[​IMG]

No plans to track it yet but u never know! The down pipe is a jabbasport item so hopefully won't cause to much problem. I'm wondering about egt sensors and poss wideband lambda? A lot of questions atm and not much sense to spell em all out! No rush tho and thanks for the comments

8. ben mk2 Forum Member

Getting there slowly, got a ruck of stuff over the last few weeks. Just waiting for my IE rods from the states. JBS quoted me a good price on rods then it jumped up loads when I actually went to order them, I got them from usrt in the end. Still haven't decided what I'm going to clean up and paint the block with.

So far I've got:
    Head gasket and bottom end set
    Inlet and throttle body gasket (having removed the unused vac pipe on the top of the tb)
    Genesis 550cc injectors
    Oil return line for the turbo
    Set of piston rings, inc compressor and installing tool
    Flywheel and clutch bolts
    Conrod big end bearings
    Engine assembly lube (everyone loves a nice bit o lube)
    Thermostat
    Release bearing
    Genuine Subaru 4 layer turbo gaskets
    Green plastigauge

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to get a local hydraulic place to make me a oil feed line once I've got the engine back together. Fingers crossed I'll drop the engine out this weekend, weather and dodgy back permitting!!

9. Jonrandom Forum Member

Do the Genesis injectors work with a AGU? When I had my car at Rtech and needed to change the injectors they told me the Bosch ones will work but the Genesis ones don't on a AGU. I wanted bigger really to try and get the max out of my setup but ive got the Bosch at the mo. So do the Genesis one defo work?

10. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Isn't the limit of those turbo's around 350hp if so the bosch 440's @ 4 bar will cover your fuel needs. Maybe easy and cheaper to get yourself a k-jet fuel pump which are good for 400hp.

Where did you get your phenolic gasket from?

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The VF34 IHI can achieve 360PS on a EJ20 motors we have tested ( very similar to the EVO2-3 TD05H-16g which achieves 370bhp). 440cc squirters for ~ 300bhp with fuel supply set @4 bar means you would have to run the injector drivers close to 90% duty ( pending selected lambda) and you reduce your head room for increasing boost pressure, being this is referenced back to your FPR.

It is for this reason 550 cc or bigger would be perferred. At least this would not be a obsticle when the customer says "could you turn the boost up some more?"

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

AGU injectors seats and rail position are better suited to a EV1 style injectors. That is why.

Can be adapted to run EV6 injectors which are the same dimensions as the Genesis jobs.

13. ben mk2 Forum Member

I got them secondhand from audisport.net, the seller was running them on an agu head so I know they'll fit, well I hope so! I went for the genesis injectors mostly for the spray pattern which I believe to be much better than the Bosch green giants. I'm hoping for 320bhp ish, I'm not mega fussed about the actual figures I just want a proper little weapon. I like the idea of a kjet pump, I'd forgotten about them!

The phenolic gasket is looking for a home if you fancy it? I've already got one fitted!

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Genessis injectors will fit your head as i was running them in past but you need fuel rail with shorter fixing legs from aum i think and other codes running short legged fuel rail.

Far better spray pattern then bosch greens

K-jet pump is good enough for your needs :)

15. dsj20v Forum Member

What make phenolic gasket is it mate I'm looking at getting one so could n up for a deal, pm me a price

16. ben mk2 Forum Member

pm'd!

17. Jonrandom Forum Member

Ok cheers, I think ill get some siemens ones just incase they can squeeze a bit more out of it.

18. ben mk2 Forum Member

Engine came out today :thumbup:

[​IMG]

19. ben mk2 Forum Member

Thanks for the injector info, that could have been a tad frustrating to find out they didn't fit! Time for a trip to the scrappy methinks

20. ben mk2 Forum Member

Christmas came early today!

[​IMG]