Ihi vf34 Fixed it :-)

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by ben mk2, Oct 22, 2012.

1. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Still with protective plastic fim on them? No way!

2. ben mk2 Forum Member

brand spankers new dude :-) made up

3. ben mk2 Forum Member

oh well, looks like this is going no where for a while. spent the last 3 days in a coronary care unit with some sort of viral infection in my heart. sounds like I need a new oil pump!! hopefully home tomorrow then 4 weeks rest! could be worse tho :-)

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Holy c rap man, hope you are ok!

5. ben mk2 Forum Member

Fine now ta, just gotta do nothing for a few weeks. Bored to tears already but I shouldn't complain.

6. ben mk2 Forum Member

Well I'm starting to feel a LOT better now so with the help of some friends we're gonna make a start tomorrow. Rods have finally arrived and I managed to blag a G60 flywheel for free! Going to get the engine onto a stand and hopefully get all the ancillaries and head off.

[​IMG]

Even with the ridiculous import fees it was still a lot cheaper to get the rods from the states. I used usrt in the end.

Still need to source a vr6 clutch, turbo feed, intercooler etc etc.
    Really looking forward to getting stuck in, I've hardly left the house in nearly 2 months!

7. p3nfold Forum Member

Hi Ben what gearbox you running a o2a?

8. ben mk2 Forum Member

02J! will be saving for a diff but might take a while. Managed to get the rods out today, hone on Monday then start putting it back together!

[​IMG]

Block after a bit of a clean, still a way to go but it's getting there!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  9. ben mk2 Forum Member

Soooo, fair bit of progress now!

New rods are in, along with new bearings for everything in the bottom end. Honed block, new IE rods, new rings etc etc. I've painted the block, head, inlet manifold etc. Turbo fitted, went a bit overboard with one of the coolant hoses but at least I know it'll be up to the job.

Spaced out the metal coolant pipe by the tip and modded my creation motorsports turbo inlet, basically cut the bottom off it, sleeved it with some metal pipe then put a silicone pipe that fits the 56mm ihi inlet. Still got to strip and paint the alternator and fit the power steering pump. Need to sort some spacers to fit between the genesis injectors or poss fit a diff fuel rail? I'm sure sambo said an aum (short leg) fuel rail would fit. That or cut down the rail mounting points.

It's very nearly ready to go. A few bits around the turbo and down pipe were very close, tolerance wise. Fingers crossed they will be ok. I'm planning to run the new engine in using the original agu injectors and the stage1 custom code ecu. Does anyone have any input to this? I don't wanna risk cocking anything up! The plan is to take it to r-tech or badger bill once it's fully broken in.

Thanks for looking, and sorry to Richard mk2 for posting this so soon after his destruction!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine mount and down pipe, angle of the picture isn't the best so prob makes it look worse but it is close!

[​IMG]

Oil drain was very close to the mount but a bit if tweeking with a blow torch fixed that! Didn't get any pics of this tho!

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far!

10. dsj20v Forum Member

Hi Ben, regarding Genesis injectors, ive the 550s fitted in an aum fuel rail on mine, fit perfectly

11. ben mk2 Forum Member

nice one, cheers for that!! badger5 do the spacers as well, seem to be the same ones as usrt but obv located in the UK. Will see what's in the local scrappy first!!

12. ben mk2 Forum Member

Loom properly extended and tested on the wife's A3 today, pleased to report it works a treat after a few niggles!!!

[​IMG]

13. ben mk2 Forum Member

Spent today cleaning up the bay and sorting the engine mounts. Went to swap the rear o/s mount and the longer bolt snapped, despite being soaked in wd-40 for a week!!! Swine.
    After much swearing and drilling I got the bugger out, mostly thanks to my neighbours seemingly endless supply of drill bits! If I can find my machine polisher I'm gonna try and buff the bay up a little in the morning. Got lots of the horrible wax stuff off today.
    [​IMG]

14. ben mk2 Forum Member

Hopefully gonna be starting it tomorrow!!! Won't be driving it but just wanna make sure it'll crank and run! Big push now for ultimate dubs on Sunday. Engine is in place now, just need to get my head round the exhaust and fitting a bigger intercooler.

[​IMG]

15. ben mk2 Forum Member

It's alive!! Just gotta do a few jobs in the morning then it's off for a drive, I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Great stuff!

17. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome progress thread. Glad you've recovered okay.

18. Jonrandom Forum Member

Good work mate :thumbup:

19. ben mk2 Forum Member

What a day!! Finally finished at 12.30, MOT was at 2! First drive was fantastic, did about 20 miles then mot. Passed with no problems! Thought I heard a bit of a knock as it came off the ramp but didn't really pay any attention. Got to my friends place to have it detailed. Decided to drop the oil and put on a fresh filter. Turns out I'd knocked the sump and buggered the sump plug. All the threads had pulled out on removal. Absolutely gutted, almost felt sick after so much work to get it ready for ultimate dubs. One high speed trip to Manchester after an ebay search for a new sump and we're away!

All back together and night shift to detail it currently under way!!!!

Drives really well, very mild mannered. Still needs mapping, the injectors fitted, breaking in and some 3" stuff.

20. ben mk2 Forum Member