Ihi vf34 Fixed it :-)

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by ben mk2, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ben mk2 Forum Member

Had a great couple of days breaking the engine in! Seem to be getting a bit of what I believe to be compressor surge? At higher revs and boost I get a noise similar to the diverter valve but its while I'm still accelerating.
    I've just had a think about this, could it be due to my small intercooler restricting the flow? The one I'd planned to use won't fit and as a temp fix I used an old one I had kicking about (wanted to finish the car for ultimate dubs). It's only got 2" inlets and the rest of the pipe work is 2.5". I've also got a vr6 throttle body, I'm guessing fitting this would also help?

It's only happened the once when I got a bit too excited and I backed off straight away. The car is still running on a custom code phase one map as I'm waiting to fully break it in until I have it mapped.

Cheers

2. dsj20v Forum Member

What method did u use in end to break engine in Ben

3. ben mk2 Forum Member

Pretty much just went for it! Easy for the first 20 miles, 2.5 - 3k max. Dropped the oil and filter then refilled with more mineral. Increased upto 4.5k then to 5.5k after another 50 miles. Had no smoke at all, nudging 200 miles now. Lots of revving up then letting it coast back down, been told this is wise? First time I've rebuilt an engine and I'm not the most patient person! Will drop the oil again soon and do one last fill of mineral. Apart from the surge issue it's run brilliantly, this had made me smile in the same way you do when you get some after a long drought ;)

4. ben mk2 Forum Member

Is the VR6 dbc throttle body a plug and play kinda thing? I know I'll need to make up an adapter plate but will the wiring be the same?

Need to source a inch tip, wondering about trying a one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150863799604?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 then modifying as required?

Then I need to sort my fuel pump and I can look at mapping the car ;)

Been driving it the past few days and even being gentle is a real giggle! Can't wait till its all mapped up :-)

5. ben mk2 Forum Member

Oh bugger.

Been out to look at a mk2 with a mate this evening. Cracking drive and the car felt great. Nearly home, pulled up at a red light. Oil pressure and all the temperatures where fine. Pulled away and the car stalled/cut out. Now it won't turn over. Put it in 5th and it won't roll with the handbrake off. Whipped the plugs out, all seems ok. Cam belt seems ok. Oil and water levels ok. Got towed home by the lovely RAC.

I'm hoping its clutch or flywheel but really not sure. Feel unbelievably gutted. Gonna try and take the box off tomorrow and see if it'll turn over. Need to find the energy/motivation from somewhere.

Balls.

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

No way mate

Hope its not engine related :/

7. ben mk2 Forum Member

Me too!!! It feels fly or clutch, I REALLY hope so

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Plugs out and get it turning over

My small bet goes on electronic issue which stalled the engine and wouldn't let you restart. Please please please!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  9. funbagjuggler Forum Member

Thats not good stopping like that....
    Any news....???

10. ben mk2 Forum Member

head blagged!!

jacked it up and took off the starter. found a few little swarfs of metal but nothing serious, however I cranked it by hand and it moved about half a revolution then locked up again. managed to check the timing marks and they're all spot on. removed the box and got it to crank by hand OK. not sure if I forced it too much tho? only used an old torque wrench so not much leverage. bearing in mind it wouldn't budge in 5th last night with 4 of us rocking the car back and forth. took the clutch off, all seemed ok.

very confused! Guess I need to flip the engine and take the sump off.

felt pretty heart breaking removing the engine and box after all the hard work that's go into it.

think I'm gonna have a few days off and have a good think. not in the best of health so need to slow down a bit anyway.

cheers for all the comments!

11. thegave Forum Member

It knew. Still, so sorry to read this, especially as it happened so soon after getting it done.

12. ben mk2 Forum Member

I reackon its done about 400 miles. Checked the input shaft on the box and its ok. Gonna leave it for a few days the whip the sump off. gggrrrrrrrrrrr. [:x]

13. benny Forum Member

What a bummer! Hope it's something simple! I feel your pain :cry: Been there [8(]

14. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Gutted for you mate :(

I feel your pain to, as my AGU decided to drop two valve last month, after putting alot of hard work and effort into it.

15. ben mk2 Forum Member

Cheers guys :thumbup:

16. dsj20v Forum Member

Yours and Richards, I was alreading dreading breaking my new build in now im nervous as hell, hope u get it sorted and keep updates coming

17. ben mk2 Forum Member

Cheers squire, will do!! Away from the home at the moment but this is probably a good thing!

18. ben mk2 Forum Member

Sooooooooo, managed to drain the oil and get the engine onto a stand today. Safe to say its ****ed. See below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obv number four big end has got a bit hot. Found lots of swarf in the sump:

[​IMG]

I'm feeling rather stupid and extremely gutted at the mo. I've done no more than you can see in the pictures. I'm going to remove the rod tomorrow and see how bad the crank is. I'm guessing integrated engineering won't just supply me with one rod, so I'm looking at a set of rods, bearings and main bolts, poss a crank. Learn from your mistakes and all that. Anyone got any input as to what I've done wrong?

19. benny Forum Member

Can an overheated bearing cause all the swarf? There must be a damaged piston or something??

20. ben mk2 Forum Member

I think the swarf was the bearing? Gonna delve a bit further later today!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013