In need of some help/pointers. MS2extra ITB ABF

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Bruce T, May 14, 2014.

1. Bruce T Forum Member

Hi all,

The Mk2 is finally insured, MOT'd and will hopefully get taxed today [:D]
    This mines its time to get my head down and start tuning now that I'm able drive it on the road legally.

Eddie popped over a while back and kindly setup as much as he could from the comfort of my driveway. I have great idle when up to temp and was able to drive carefully to and from the MOT with this cal.

These are my current tables but would just like to double check that they look OK before I go out for a proper drive and start logging and tweaking.

VE Table
    [​IMG]

Spark Table
    [​IMG]

AFR Table
    [​IMG]

I think I'm ok with the logging and analysing process but, guess my real question is, do my AFR and spark table look sensible enough to work with?

I'm fitting a new wideband kit today as my LC-1 has kicked the bucket... Once I'm able to read AFR again am I hoping get out and start making changes.

Thanks for looking, any help is much appreciated :)

Bruce.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

All looks ok as a desktop calibration.

You would really have to do some drives with recordings to see how off the fuel calibration is.
    Spark optimization has to be done on road with det cans or on dyno to determine best WOT torque.

Bruce T likes this.
  3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You can use VEAL with filters to do your cruise area fuelling. As long as you are smooth on the throttle you can see how it changes your table. Then you can decide to save and burn it to the ecu.
    It's sometimes easier when you're on your own. You can also datalog and see what's happening that way.

Bruce T likes this.
  4. Bruce T Forum Member

That's the plan Eddie, I was hoping to get out and do some data logs this evening after work but I'm not going to be able to tax the car til tomorrow now :thumbdown:

I haven't tried VEAL yet tshirt2k, only played with the analyser in MegaLog Viewer. Fairly happy with how that works. Seems to get a little carried away with corrections if you let it, so I guess a bit of care/common sense is required when using that.

So is my course of action to tune the VE table as best I can using datalogs, VEA and my current AFR table, and then once that's sensible, move on to spark using det cans?

5. Toyotec

Spark timing is a bit more tricky as it is where most of the feel comes from, providing your fuel control is in the right window and you have no other restrictions.
    Get the fuel control to achieve a 15% richer than 1 at WOT and at partload +/- 5%. You do not run a cat so keeping to stoich is not required, though running leaner below the misfire limit will help reduce fuel low and gain some economy. Give the idle condition enough fuel to maintain stable operations ( which I think was done when I was down there). Also off idle and into a tip in perhaps run a bit more fuel pulse to help transients on an alpha-N system. You may want to turn off the closed loop learning here.
    Once that is done then you are ready to play with the spark timing. Det Cans perfered if your car is buzzy!

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

If you don't want it to get carried away with corrections. You can choose hard or very hard. Also the lambda delay can be set to show the analyser where it should read changes in AFR.
    I have my wideband further down the exhaust so I set my delay longer.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  7. Bruce T Forum Member

Sorry Eddie but most of that's went straight over my head lol

Could you dumb this part down for me please?

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Target 0.85 lambda or 12.5AFR at WOT and 0.95-1.05 lambda (14afr-15.5afr) part load.

Bruce T likes this.
  9. Bruce T Forum Member

Ahh! Makes sense now! Thanks!
    Will get everything setup tonight hopefully and have a drive tomorrow. I went for the AEM wideband kit with digital gauge so I won't have to keep looking at the laptop while driving.

Any tips for driving/loading the engine to aid tuning/logging?

Will have a look at making some det cans too as the car is pretty rattley so hearing knock might be difficult as Eddie says.

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You should wire the wideband into the MS if you haven't already.

Just drive as normally but keep it smooth. So the data can be logged. It'll be easier to view rather than seeing spikes everywhere.

I need to make some cans myself.

11. Dom.joy Forum Member

Good luck Bruce. Gimme a shout if you need a driver or a logger tomorrow evening

Bruce T likes this.
  12. Toyotec

You can use the brakes to reach high load, load speed areas in lower gears. Can help in keeping road speeds 'sensible'. Mind, you can cook the brakes in attempting to do this. A dyno could be helpful here.
    You should be able to get most of the calibration to feel right just by using the road drives and the last 10% of optimisation can be done on the rolling road.

13. Bruce T Forum Member

I will be doing just that. The LC-1 was connected to the MS but has proven itself unreliable so I'm swapping it out this evening for the AEM one. The gauge is just a nice to have.

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how I get on. Its quite difficult to drive smoothly with the instant throttle response of the ITB's...but very fun so far. Had a very large smile on my face driving to and from the MOT station [:D]

14. Bruce T Forum Member

Cheers Dom, Will give you a shout. Hopefully the passenger harness turns up soon, you might feel a little safer strapped in lol

15. Toyotec

You can dampened the response by using a higher gear usually.

Bruce T likes this.
  16. Bruce T Forum Member

Ah this is all good info! I can kill two birds with one stone Eddie as the brakes need a good bedding in session!

I'm hopping to get a decent map sorted without paying for dyno time as I'd like to install an aftermarket cam in the nearish future so I'll probably wait until i've done that and then hit the rolling road. Is that a sensible thing to do?

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Nothing wrong with the LC1. Just have to be wired right. Can't see the point of putting another one in.

18. Bruce T Forum Member

I'm not saying they all are, this one was working perfectly, but has just been giving me grief this last week. It's connected exactly as specified in the Innovate manual, this was the first port of call in my fault find.

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What sort of grief?

20. Toyotec

You should still get it checked on the RR at WOT and other conditions where you are likely to be unsafe on the road. Further it would establish a reference for when you upgrade the cams.