In need of some help/pointers. MS2extra ITB ABF

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Bruce T, May 14, 2014.

1. Dom.joy Forum Member

I'll hold on tight haha

2. Bruce T Forum Member

It's an older unit that I purchased second hand but unused. I had a small issue with it initially which seemed to clear itself but I double checked the installation anyway. It worked fine after that, until I left the car with out starting it for a couple of weeks. Has just been messing about since, freezing quite often which required a power cycle and sometimes re-calibrating to reset but as of last week it seems to have given up completely with no output to MS.

I've removed it tonight and will have play with it on the bench to see if it's serviceable, if so I will probably keep it for a back up.

3. Bruce T Forum Member

Ok thanks Eddie, i'll look into it. I'm not sure where my best bet is for RR around here. Anyone have any recommendations?

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

5. Bruce T Forum Member

I think I saw that thread the first time I had an issue with it Trev, quite interesting really.
    It seems like a few problems are caused by grounding issues but I'm confident that my electrical install is good for both the MS and the LC-1.
    I don't have a warrenty on the LC-1 and don't really have the time to play about with it at the moment , I need a kit that just works, so I'm trying a different brand (which isn't without it's issues if you search the internet lol).

I installed the AEM kit last night and it's functioning well. Very straight forward to install, apart from actually installing the sensor under the car, which is always a lark...

Hoping to get out on the road this evening and record some data so we'll see how it goes! :thumb:up

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Good man. Good luck and keep us posted :thumbup:

7. Bruce T Forum Member

Thanks Eddie, will do! :)

8. Bruce T Forum Member

Had a chance to do a few logs today and used VEA to tweak the fuel table. Will try to post up my changes tomorrow and hopefully someone can make sure I'm heading in the right direction!

9. Bruce T Forum Member

Here we go.

I've done few more logs since. I had a 30-40 minute drive yesterday and managed to log the whole thing. Changes have been made to the VE table using the AFR targets in my first post. Noticeable improvement :thumbup: but would just like to check im doing things correctly.

This is the current VE table with the changes from yesterdays logs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few peaks that need blending in but they seem to be in areas that aren't used much at the moment.

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Are you data logging and using VEAL at the same time? If so the datalog won't be much use due to changes being made during the datalog. But it will show the patterns of the AFR trace. If you see spikes going lean when throttle is pressed, that will be accel enrichments. But don't worry about that yet. ;)
    You should be trying to target as many areas as poss starting with low throttle positions and increasing rpms. Although they may not be used in normal driving, it gets the map closer to the AFR targets and more complete.

11. Bruce T Forum Member

Thanks for the reply :thumbup:
    I'm data logging in TS and then using MLV and VE Analyser to make the changes.
    I started with the cell change resistance set normal but I've changed it to hard now as it seems to make quite large jumps in some areas.
    I'm learning to load the engine a bit better now and work my way around the table. Some parts are quite hard to hit and as of yet I haven't had the guts to go much over 4k rpm.
    Haven't looked at my time based Accel Enrichment yet. Is best to leave that alone or turn off etc?

I'm probably being daft but I'm quite worried about the engine knocking, So I'm taking it easy. Going to knock up some det cans i think.

12. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I find 2nd gear on a nice straight road, a bit of left foot braking if necessary and you can get most of the cells over a nice rpm sweep.

The odd ones, like 7,000 with no throttle are harder to do, but less important anyway. As Russ says, don`t worry about it dipping rich / lean on throttle applicaiton. Mine still isn`t perfect after a lot of tweaking lol

I found datalogging every run helps a LOT. Better with a passenger, laptop open, pick a throttle % and hold it from low rpm to high rpm. Have the passenger keep a close eye on the AFR gauge and if it starts to go lean, back off immediately and add fuel. I don`t pretend to be as good as Eddie, he can do it much better and far quicker than me, but if you do enough runs and approach it methodically, you should be able to get it somewhere close on the road.

Toyotec and Bruce T like this.
  13. Bruce T Forum Member

Thanks for the pointers Nige, I'll give that a go tomorrow evening.
    It's definitely getting better the more I do. I just need to get a passenger clued up and then get them to have a go at tweaking as I drive.
    Should I be doing anything with the Accel Enrichment?

14. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Once you've got your table close. You can start working on accel .

You can start it by using the wizard at idle. You can press the throttle at different rates and watch the AFR trace spike lean. You can add fuel until the spikes reduce. Don't add too much as it can kill response.
    The graph will show v/sec If I remeber correctly for ms2 or maybe it's %. It's more accurate when using MS2 especially when using MLV. MS1 is more guesswork when using logs.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Bruce T likes this.
  15. Toyotec

Bruce, you are doing well so far.
    One thing worth noting, in addition to what was said above. With the transient fuel ( accel enrich) switched off, I would set the lambda learning to start from after 1600rpm. The sub 1600rpm area from small to mid throttle would be tweaked richer to instantly open the injectors to spray fuel that would keep up with the air on a tip in. This way, you would hardly need the throttle compensation to top up.
    When you get most of the sub 4k fuel control table learned, you should then jump back at fettling the spark and then you are ready for the high load to high rev calibration areas until redline :thumbup:

Do not worry takes months to get a calibration right [:D]. Does not matter which ECU it is.

16. Bruce T Forum Member

Thanks for the pointers guys :thumbup:

Will have a look at my AE setting later, have no idea what they are, haven't touched them so far.

Time to drive to work now and annoy all the neighbours lol

Toyotec likes this.
  17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Try and log every journey if you can.

18. Bruce T Forum Member

Yeah I'm trying to do every journey, even short ones.

Does anyone know if Trev's MSdroid app logs are compatable with MLV? Would be nice if so and I could just log using my old s3 or tablet instead of taking the netbook with me all the time.

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yea i think it does. Need a Bluetooth adapter though

20. Toyotec

He already has one on his ECU ;)