insurance woes

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by DC75, Sep 3, 2009.

1. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

lol, looks like i better start saving up big time! christ! :thumbup:

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

There was a thing on BBC N. Ireland a while back about how hard they are cracking down on this - no insurance used to be a 6 pointer max, but now they are banning people for a year. And some chubby bloke from the insurance body was explaining that because you've obtained your insurance by defraud, it is invalid and the industry are really cracking down due to the amount of young people doing it.
    It's reasonable if you think about it - you're driving a highish risk car, but you say your mum or dad is the main driver to drop the premium, then you crash and everybody explodes in a ball of flames.
    Try it in your own name, make sure to add your parents as named drivers, that knocked 400 off a quote I had once. My dad was dead by that time which may have influenced things, he didn't drive a lot.

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

4. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

If you're insured with Quinn (I think you are anyway) it won't make a massive difference because you are rated on the highest risk driver with most insurers anyway now.

When I got mine the difference between being legit and fronting was only 50 quid so well worth having it in my name seeing as I will have 2 years no claims in December, I can drive any insured car third party only which is the only possible way I'm legally driving a Supra aswell and most importantly the insurance is actually legit.

I'm sure I said this when you insured the car aswell.

Also, when you ring them if you're a student and you have a part time job then tell them this, a part time job reduces your premiums as students are a HUGE risk category that the insurers hate because of their tendency to smash cars, have access to very cheap drink and a thing for getting wasted.

6. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

right cheers, ill give them a ring later on, cheers.

7. k plate Forum Member

it's because i or my dad for that matter have no ncb's so it worked out cheaper to do it like this, if i have just me on the policy it was 550, but when i do it the way i have it's only 300.
    and since my dad does not have a car i'm sure i'm safe with the way things are.

my mates say i will never get any ncb's but in a way that's not quite true as i'm the one paying for it all and my dad doesn't give a monkeys as he never drives anywhere unless he goes golf then he drives mothers car (which is also mine). but not in my name.

8. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

some ins companies are doing ncb's for named drivers, watch daytime tv and you'll soon get bored of the fecking ads for them.

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

What they don't tell you is other insurers don't accept that pretty much fake "no claims bonus" because it's basically an intro discount should you remain insured with the same company.

If he has no other car it isn't fronting. Especially at your age.

10. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Getting back to the original topic, Brentacre:thumbup: .

Just tried to renew with HIC and without a thatcham 2 alarm they wouldn't quote me.

Just got off the phone to brentacre and am now Fully comp with 2 years NCB( would have been 7 years without that fire recently) and 6 points for 550.

Value of 3500, no alarm, any cosmetic mods allowed, engine power limit of 150 bhp.

Very helpful and knowledgeable and much better to deal with than HIC.

11. k plate Forum Member

don't mean to pry but why the feck did YOU claim for that fire?
    i thought you knew the arsonist?
    did he not pay-up?

12. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

He cant afford to, so would have meant going to court which would have been a massive headache. He is covering excess and shipping car down to exeter for me as im moving. May get a bit of money to cover rise in premiums as well.

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

with all due respect i don't think thats your problemm the claim will affect you for years

14. Admin Guest

and tell them everything, alloys, lowering etc.

its not worth the hassle if you do have a crash and they come looking round it. Even if its not your fault the insurance will be looking to get out of it.

15. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Oh yeah they want to know about every STICKER on the car aswell. Personally anyone in my age group that gets comprehensive on their first car which we know isn't worth alot of money is stupid aswell. It's only worth getting comp if you pay less for the insurance than the car is worth. I bet you there's alot of insurers that would turn around and pretty much shoot you in the foot on most GTis and give you a pathetic sum of money.

16. AndrewF Forum Addict

FC is only about 2 more than TPF&T in my experience

17. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

My 05 GTI cost's me 385.00 pounds a year,fully comp,protected no claims,with a cat back non resonated Milltek & edition 30 alloys !!!!!!!!.Old age does have some perks.

18. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Depends on the sort of risk you are, it's about 400 quid difference for me.

19. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Just getting an online quote from Direct Line tonight for my Seat Toledo, I find that changing it from TPFT to Comprehensive actually decreases the premium by ~40.

WTF? [:o)]