Isaac - 1992 MK2 Golf GTI 8v...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Zender Z20, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

July 24, 2021, 06:40:38 PM

These may be in another post, if not probably lost to the the old forum.

Metal MK3 reflector body solution to the problem of scorched plastic MK2 ones...

151.JPG

152.JPG

153.JPG

2. Zender Z20

July 25, 2021, 12:11:39 PM

That pesky green 'O' ring I mentioned in the 'not so obvious service items' post.

Well worth looking at and sorting at your leisure if needs be... sods law says you'll only find out it's stuck when it's too late and you're wanting to adjust the dizzy.

154.JPG

3. Zender Z20

July 27, 2021, 03:55:22 PM

Trial fitted all the rear shock bits and there doesn't look to be very much scope for Part 6 to fit... even if it's quite thin, the spring base and Part 5 are already a snug fit.

155.JPG

156.JPG

4. Zender Z20

July 31, 2021, 08:47:12 PM

Thought you might be interested in seeing an actual pic. of my car.

Before you get too excited it's a scan from a print-off of the 2010 local forum advert I bought it from - make sense!

Different registration on it now, was originally J303 OVU (get in touch if you've any history with that car before then)...

157.JPG

158.JPG

5. Zender Z20

August 01, 2021, 02:03:43 PM

Gearbox cleaned up... temptation was to just keep going and take it a stage further but sense prevailed.

No leaks or issues before the car came off the road and it would just risk creating problems where none previously existed.

Sensible (and easily done at this stage) things such as the clutch / release bearing / reverse switch etc. will be the exceptions.

159.JPG

160.JPG

6. Zender Z20

Superficial clean up and things don't look too bad to my inexperienced eye... visiting mechanic can't find anything glaringly wrong either but in time the plan is to take things apart more to check properly... fingers crossed.

Head went to a local machine shop to be checked over and things like valve guides etc replaced

According to them everything was spot on and nothing over and above a general refurb. required.

161.JPG

162.JPG

7. Zender Z20

August 15, 2021, 11:03:40 AM

Just went ahead and bought the plate / seal from that eBay seller... for the sake of £12 it'll doubly make sure things stay water tight, plus it'd be a nightmare of a job to do if needed after everything's all back together.

No connection to them... but even though the bits were listed as used they were probably in better nick than new having been powder coated.

163.JPG

8. Zender Z20

September 10, 2021, 02:34:13 PM

Bit of lull recently... some delays due to relying on the welding being done and a few mechanical bits that were either beyond my current capabilities or I didn't have the tools to do myself - things like the bushes for the front engine support plus the main ones in the rear beam.

But all done now and can forge ahead with beginning to put things back on as opposed to taking them off!

Didn't waste too much time and managed to get quite a few unrelated jobs done that are sitting ready and waiting.

One was finishing the re-texturing of the exterior black plastic, you might remember I did the rear bumper eons ago and it's stood the test of time.

When I was doing the rear offside side strip found this handwritten note on the inside, a few random numbers but to my eye that's a date - 26.6.91

Would tie in with the date marks on other bits that I know are original, plus the cars VIN corresponds to a final build date of 30/8/91

164.JPG

165.JPG

9. Zender Z20

September 10, 2021, 02:44:11 PM

From a week or two ago - Engine bay cleaned up and wiring loom has since been recovered in cloth tape after this photo.

That leads me on to a (hopefully) small problem.

While in the bin bag quite a few of the labels that I was relying on to identify what goes where have become unreadible.

I suspect the sharpie pen ink has reacted to solvent fumes in the air captured by the bag and become blurred.

A lot of them I recognise but you may still be getting a few unintended posts testing your knowledge!

166.JPG

10. Zender Z20

September 11, 2021, 11:12:41 AM

Getting ahead of myself - something that was done while waiting for the welding to finish.

The metal plates the headlights attach to I put through the rust bath of phosphoric acid.

There wasn't actually any rust on them, but I've found if you let certain types of metal soak for 5 - 10 mins they take on that grey plated appearance. Don't leave them in too long though, if they're previously galvanised it'll start to strip that off. Get it right and it tidies up the looks and more importantly acts as future rust prevention

If you're looking new fixing screws for the light frame (8 needed - not fitted in these pics) to the slam panel they're part # N01-388-73, but instead of paying VW prices you can get 20 identical ones here eBay for the a little over £4 posted (No. 12 - 5.5x16mm)

167.JPG

168.JPG

169.JPG

170.JPG

11. Zender Z20

September 12, 2021, 12:20:03 PM

The larger of the front engine cross member pieces was in OK nick, needed treated and re-done but structurally fine.

The lighter piece was reasonablly OK too, but had what looked like quite heavy surface rust on the under side.

Heritage had Klokkerholm copies for just over £30 (since gone up to £50) so seemed like a cost effective option when you factor in the time and cost of materials if preping / treating / painting the original.

Unfortunately their delivery times stretched from weeks to months and it now looks like they're semi-unavailable almost everywhere.

I see VW are doing 'originals' now (big money, in the hundreds), wonder have they withdrawn permission for repos?

Forced me to re-look at it and once again the phosphoric acid came to the rescue - it never ceases to amaze me just what a transformation this stuff can achieve.

171.JPG

12. Zender Z20

September 14, 2021, 02:50:17 PM

Looks like we're all sorting out gear linkages out together!

Foam on mine was shot - crushed, greasey and sticky, maybe yours is too?

Googled the part number and VW replacements seem to be supplied as a strip now, not the originals gasket type make up... 7Zap gives the dimensions as 15 x 10 mm.

Generic stuff on eBay to the same measurements, shape it yourself by cutting in a few 'V's' and save some money.

The adhesive on this particular stuff is very strong, don't see it easily coming adrift.

eBay

172.JPG

173.JPG

174.JPG

13. Zender Z20

September 17, 2021, 10:56:18 AM

Change in the weather has unfortunately also meant a change in momentum, so not much new done.

Have been half heartedly test fitting some of the assemblies to double check all's well and nothing's missing.

Engine subframe, touch wood, is OK so far but I can't find the cross member to chassis leg bolts anywhere.

If push comes to shove, I can get replacements but be sods law the originals turn up after spending £25+ I don't want to on four new ones.

Shouldn't be a surprise at the difference the new cross member rubber bushes made... was even a bit of an effort bolting the upper and lower parts together now that they're no longer worn out / compressed.

The front engine mount was changed too, the existing one I suspect wasn't the VW original as it appeared to be in OK nick, but since everything else was getting refreshed and they don't cost alot would've been pointless not to.

I'm going to waxoyl the inside cavity of the lower part and the underside of the upper part when the time comes, judging from the previous surface rust those seem to be the most vulnerable areas.

175.JPG

176.JPG

14. Zender Z20

September 17, 2021, 07:52:16 PM

Tripping over things and losing track of what's, what and where it is so decided to start putting things back on.

Doubtless they'll all be off again in no time and maybe even more than once but it's good practice and I'll get to know MK2's inside, out.

Took a stack of piccies this afternoon when I was having a breather, but the half of them didn't come out very well.

Not that riveting to look at, but remember they were taken for proof of work when the car's eventually valued for insurance.

(Nothings tightened up as a result, some bolts for example may not even the right way around - just set in place so as to be accounted for.)

177.JPG
    178.JPG
    179.JPG
    180.JPG
    181.JPG

15. Zender Z20

September 19, 2021, 03:56:07 PM

It's more a belt and braces thing, me being over the top and putting protection on top of protection.

I think with cars like the MK2 the secret's maintaining the protection with regular inspections / re-treatment as required, not like modern cars that seem to be able to go for years without anyone lifting a finger to them.

The 205 seems to have had it's underside done (and re-done) from early on in it's life, explains why it's like new beneath.

After doing the entire underside of the MK2 I've added a waxoyl coat on top again of the rear section, particularly the bit that's hidden by the petrol tank. OTT but when everythings off, now's the time to do it.

182.JPG

183.JPG

Front wing inners got a coat too, arch liners just seem to be an approximate fit and plenty of daylight's visible if you stick your head up in there

184.JPG

Put the rear beam back on yesterday / today... that was a job and a half when you're on your own.

Son made me up a gauge to get the exact angle for the bracklets before tightening them to the beam... cannibalised the spirit level from an old set square.

185.JPG

Working through the parts pile rightly and rear shocks begun.

186.JPG

187.JPG

188.JPG

189.JPG

You might have read earlier that my engine sub-frame was showing rot, from the inside out.

New one's been filled with waxoyl and most appertures on the upper facing side now have grommets.

Hopefully stop water ingress but there's still drainage beneath if it should.

190.JPG

191.JPG

192.JPG

193.JPG

16. Zender Z20

September 29, 2021, 04:11:30 PM

Doing the front / rear brakes at the moment while waiting for pipe / unions and other bits to arrive.

All just loosely assembled for checking but already found I'm short the odd thing such as thrust washers for the rear stub axles... why wouldn't you include them in a kit (a good FAG on at that) which has everything else, seems odd.

Also found the new dust shields are a very loose fit and spun around freely when used in conjunction with Meyle stub axles, maybe better with other brands but you'd imagine they'd all be to the same tolerences so maybe not?

Easy fix - 4 x small cuts and folded in one side of each to make a spiral effect that semi-locks in place.

My originals were completely shot, presumably they take the brunt of the road dirt and spray. Although they're already plated (and I've cut into it also) gave them some extra protection with a zinc primer coat.

194.JPG

195.JPG

197.JPG

198.JPG

Attached Files:

• 196.JPG
      196.JPG
      File size:
      69 KB
      Views:
    MJA likes this.
  17. Zender Z20

October 01, 2021, 09:05:39 PM

By the time I'd got the flaring tool, pipe, unions etc. likely would've been cheaper taking it somewhere to have them do it, but have to say it's a very satisfying job.

Plan is to do the 205 and MK1 in time which should make it more economic.

Had the bonus of the original VW pipes to use as a template otherwise I doubt it'd have gone so easily.

You don't get much in a roll! Had to order a second so as to finish the rears.

As said earlier, I've definitely settled on the original MC with the 2 x outlets, not the 4 of the new one - that would've been even more pipe, though wasn't the reason.

199.JPG

200.JPG

201.JPG

202.JPG

203.JPG

18. Zender Z20

October 03, 2021, 07:17:16 PM

Today we were mostly putting the fuel tank in...

204.JPG

205.JPG

19. Zender Z20

October 03, 2021, 07:18:35 PM

... and taking the subframe back out to finish the PAS.

206.JPG

20. Zender Z20

October 04, 2021, 02:30:04 PM

The thermal cover for the steering boot arrived today... don't know whether to put it on the car or keep it in my sock drawer.

207.JPG

208.JPG

dodgy likes this.