K-Jet or Digifant?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mk2monster, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Blue MK2 Forum Member

prefer digi's myself.

more up to date and less cluttered. I find them easier to work on and to work out the problem

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

2. mexicorich Forum Member

Even when new digis were disliked for having poorer throttle response
    Nowadays?
    Well its like having left your computer out in the garage for fifteen years and wondering why a couple of buttons on the keyboard don't work anymore
    Tim Stiles advised me against going digi years ago, didn't really understand why until I experienced some of them!
    Not that they can't run right, just the way Kjets drive is how the GTi reputation was built
    My 85 8V Kjet still does 30mpg and hits 100mph on the way to work everyday (even my PD130 diesel Ibiza only does 38-39 in my normal use)
    I managed to keep the speed down to 80mph on a 200mile journey last summer and my 83 Cab did 38mpg which I have to say was a pleasant surprise
    Anyone only getting 25mpg from an 8v is definitely a disappointment

3. timbutjack Forum Member

injection is **** IMO :clap: :lol:

carbs all the way

4. luminosa Forum Member

firstly there not as you don't get these silly little warmup sessions on a winters morning, secondly you can increase the bhp as much on a carb without buying loads of little bits for em(like camshafts:lol: ), all you have to do with injection is wack it on the rolling road tweek the ECU a little and out pops another 20bhp:clap:

and anway aren't you supposed to be getting a GTI this summer jack??
    and as i'm sure you've found out from reading through this thread they're all injection;)

(only because its better:lol: )

have you een on the phone to alan again??? :lol:

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Digidung is good for economy, reliable starting, emissons and some hesitant response. K jet is great for power, great response but not so good economy because you always using the power. For the best of all worlds correct cheaply with Megasquirt MSnS-e.
    < Looks at his 2.0 8V MK2 ready to have its digicack EMS hacked out and thrown into the bin!>

6. mk2monster

mk2monster Forum Member

digi rules!

7. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

If I were looking to buy a Mk2 8v GTI and it had Digifant or K-jet I wouldn't choose one over the other. I'd just look for the best condition car my money could get and live with whatever fuel system I had.

Further more I wouldn't convert from digifant to K-jet or K-jet to digifant. It isn't that important really.

Anyway - what would I know - I always end up with my DCOE's bolted to whatever I run! - lol

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I would always go for a 90 spec MK2 (which is what I did :lol:) engine upgrade path is slightly easier, since MK3 & Corrado engine looms will plug into the 90 spec fusebox :)

9. Toyotec

:lol: :lol: [:D]

10. mrpug Forum Member

All the fun

You guys get to have all the fun. First 97 octaine thats unherd of here in the states the best we have is 93, or race gas has to be bought to get the over a hundred rating. Second ya'll get to run run your mk2 and such the like on a track!! What we have here is dragstrips. Which is ok at times, not what the m2s are for.

11. mrpug Forum Member

now the more curious question. Is it normal for the k-ject to fully open up at 32-3500 rpm? If it's not suppose to open that late what can I do to lower the rpm range as to when it opens fully? Some input on this would be a big help.

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep thats where the peak torque is on the 1.8 GTI engines :)

13. Toyotec

It should at WOT around there because the motor needs the most fueling to make use of the peak VE thus giving max torque. Same principle happens with a vane type AFM at WOT.
    You could adjust the CO screw (pivot) or alter the control pressure from the WUR and make this happen. The result of this in theory is increased AFR. If this action will help (emissions/torque/power) thats another story and you may find that the rest of the operating range of the engine will be sckewed.

14. Matt G Forum Member

83.9 at shell in geordieland.

15. luminosa Forum Member

it would have to e a 92' spec GTI, even though they usually tend to go for more, they just look great as standard cars and come with all the extras;) might be digifant, but its not exactly slow.:lol: