Lazy Tappet

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Noo Noo, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

maybe wait and see how it consumes normal oil with no atf

it shouldnt ne filthy black though ...so the engine must be minging inside , i really would drop the sump , sometimes theres bits of old instant gasket in the pick up mesh

that way with the sump cleaned out...you could bung a set of ebay tappets in it and be done with it , cheaper than repeated atf flushes

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. Noo Noo Forum Member

Agreed but it is a concern though

Time and space were pretty short at the weekend. (Nowhere safe to jack it up). This weekend will be better though. So I'll have the sump off

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

there is always some left in the block so maybe its not time to worry yet

4. Noo Noo Forum Member

Quick query.

By the end of today I'll have clocked 300 miles or so with the fresh ATF mix. Is it better to change now or at the weekend when I'll have done about 600 miles all in?

tonight is my only real option of doing any sort of quick change. Sump will be coming off Friday or Saturday, weather permitting.

yes this week has been particularly daft

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

seeing as the car was particularly mucky id be very tempted to keep it to the 600 mile mark, if not more

do it on saturday. still no tapping?

6. Noo Noo Forum Member

Nope. Quiet as a baby again. Just a little on start up for just a few seconds. Really nice and smooth too. Exactly as I've seen before with this.

I'm thinking the same. Keep it in there and stay gentle on the loud pedal. Sum off Friday / Saturday. What have people used (apart from a good stock of rags and paper towels) to get the gunk out?

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

do mean for cleaning the sump out ? whatever solvent you can get cheap really

bit of petrol / parafin and a cheap brush to scrub at it

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

as for diesel/atf mix, i made up some years ago. i used it on a mk4 20vt that was gummy. i used it on my golf for a session too. my brother put it in a clio for a while. another matt on here put it in a 2.5 bmw that had bad tappets. he ran it for 2k miles without any ill effects then another guy put it in his 2.5 e30 but then crashed the car, scrapped it with my oil in there!!

9. Noo Noo Forum Member

If you're in the habit of donating oil / ATF Matt, how about throwing some in my direction? :lol: ;)

Mucky Noo Noo this weekend!

what are peoples thoughts on using a 15W/40 instead of the 10W/40 I've been using to date? Engine's probably done 130-140k

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

no point on usung that oil unless its cheaper...its just thicker when cold...same grade once warmed up

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the peeps in essex cgti are far too generous! tools, oils, wives, even cars (i lent one person one of my cars for a week!)

as for the engine, mine is on 216k and doesnt burn any. one of the essex guys is rebuilding a 9a with over 200k miles and the bore wear wasnt dramatic, only just outside tolerance.

id stick with 10w40 on a "low miler" like your 140k mile lump

12. Noo Noo Forum Member

Sound thanks guys.

Wives hmmm (what goes on in Essex?)

yeah agreed there should be plenty of life left in it. See what happend after the weekend.

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yeah, move here. its the nuts

14. Noo Noo Forum Member

Right progress. Sump came off, cleaned and replaced with a new gasket.

I seemed to be losing a bit of oil round the last one. So that's sorted although I've got a problem with one of the bolt holes (damaged thread) but it seems to be holding at the moment. (keep aclose eye on that)

There was a little sludge in there and the ATF came out quite clean although there was a fair few "bits" floating around in there. Anyway cleaned everything up and put it all back together. Running with fresh 10W 40 (Fuchs) and it's quiet and very smooth again although the tappet is sometimes a little noisy on start up. I guess it'll need a changing at the end of the day.

Rocker cover breather cleaned as well. I seem to lose a fair bit of oil up there which collects in a catch tank.

Just keep an eye on it all now.

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

if youve damaged some threads ...you could see if a longer bolt catches further up

you say bits in the sump...not metal bits i hope?

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive killed a few bolts for the sump in the past. i ended up buying a new set of bolts (vw no longer stock them so got them elsewhere)

id have thought the block itself would be pretty hardy

glad its sorted though.

17. Noo Noo Forum Member

Yes I need to try a longer bolt or it may mean a bigger job [xx(]

There were a couple of tiny metal bits but the vast majority were black. No idea what they could be tbh.

As said I need to sit it out for a little while now and see what happens.

18. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah a longer bolt should do it ...might need to fine tune it a bit if its tool long obviously

metal bits dont sound so good...buy yeah see how it goes , at least its clean in there now

19. Noo Noo Forum Member

UPDATE

Well she's back ticking again. I've been away for a week so she's been sat idle all that time. Previously it would tick but clear. Now it ticks all the way but it does get quieter although you can still hear it.

time to pull the rocker cover it seems:(

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

When an engine has been a bit gunked up, it can take a few goes with the ATF to completely flush it out.

The black bits in your sump were probably old bits of gasket and carbon.