Lazy Tappet

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Noo Noo, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Noo Noo Forum Member

Agreed Mike. Certainly looked like it. I've got some ATF mix i kept so for the sake of 3 for a filter i'll try one more time. Good thing is it runs quite nicely, particularly when warm. A touch lumpy on a cold idle.

think I've found a new definition for "frustrating"

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

my polo will tick for ages if its been parked up more than a week

i dont think you need to worry about it , its doing no harm

but if it does bother you , id just bung in a set of ebay tappets i dont think youre going to fix those

3. Noo Noo Forum Member

mr Bladder

yeah I think you're right. It does bug me because I'm so reliant on it and the fear that it's something worse.

Got to admit i've a fascination in figuring out exactly what's going on particularly when it has a fresh oil in it and it runs sweet as before slowly and surely becoming more ticky

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah doesnt make sense how it shuts it up for a short while

have you tried other brands of oil ?

our old abused polo thats done 180k , atf worked wonders on that , but it seems to prefer some oils more than others as far as tappet noise goes

5. Noo Noo Forum Member

yeah tried a couple of different brands but it does appear a little better with Fuchs. tried some Shell stuff as a stop gap. Did not like that at all.

When work gives me a moment to actually wander outside and stuff I'll check if it's losing / using oil.

I wonder if a compression test would be worth a punt too.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

id wonder that if its so gunked up, you could put new tappets in and theyll get filled with gunk too.

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

no harm in testing the compression if you want

really though a ticky tappet is nothing , even the manual states you can expect it from new ....the car isnt going to fail you /blow up because the tappet ticks

8. Noo Noo Forum Member

True and yes that's a concern.

Suppose part of my issue is that I fear that there is something else, worse, going on in the background somewhere.

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

is the oil still looking rank when you drop it ?

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

maybe time for the diesel flush ?

you could also grab some diesel oil for it , it contains more detergents than normal stuff

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i was thinking diesel flush too :S only worry i have about that is once you drain the contents of the sump, whats the odds on the diesel running out the oil pump and then you have to re prime the pump

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah dunno anyone that has done it ..maybe tsc has

you could do half oil half diesel?

13. Noo Noo Forum Member

It was when I did the first couple of ATF tricks but got progressively cleaner. Last time I changed it (and dropped the sump) a couple of weeks ago the ATF mix i had in there was pretty clean. A few bits in there but otherwise clean.

I'll try and look over it at lunch and report back :thumbup:

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive known loads of people do it, but ive just never done it myself. on the audi boards they rave about it

with regard to the engine, does it get up to temp properly?

15. Noo Noo Forum Member

16. Noo Noo Forum Member

right just managed a quick oil check.

Clean as a wistle, looks brand spanking new and I guess I've done about 600miles on that oil. On the dipstick anyway. Oil level also seems ok, I will keep an eye on that but so far it doesn't seem to have dropped drastically.

The plot thickens.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if it was getting up to temp properly, surely that would help it get rid of the dirt too? id sort out the cooling system too first

18. Noo Noo Forum Member

point taken Matt but I'm not convinced there's a temperature problem tbh. Engine seems to warm up nicely. No indication of it running cold although I could be wrong I guess. LPG is also supposed to make things run a little warmer I believe.

A silly thought. ATF thins the oil I believe. Perhaps the naughty tappet is gunked and wont clear but the thinner oil manages to get in there. It then ever so slowly works its way out again. Clutching at straws tbh.

19. AGray Forum Member

Just read this thread, great read.
    I've bought a 170k Mk2 8v and i'm picking it up today. It tappets on startup but goes away once the car has ran for a while/warmed up.
    The rocker gasket is leaking so i'm going to take it off, have a look inside, clean the rocker and try the ATF trick. What cocktail should I use for a higher mileage motor like mine?

Hope you get yours sorted!

20. pigbladder Forum Addict

try some cheap oil and a litre of atf for a few hundred gentle miles ...so 3ltrs of oil and 1 of atf