Lost all power 1.8T agu - UPDATE Engine blown!

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Richard Mk2, Feb 19, 2013.

1. priceygti Forum Member

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it be confident that machine mart will have it on the shelf

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Just skim red this, deffo looks like failed valve probably due to running lean on cyl 3 due to failed or blocked injector causing excessive heat in cyl 3 or valve failure it self

Engine will be mullered internally just get another and put it in job done

This is why it is very important to run Afr gauge at least but EGT gauge is strongly recommended to as both of these would have shown symptoms of failed/blocked injector if that was the original cause of damage

5. Admin Guest

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for the info above everyone ^^^ :thumbup:

Will definitely get hold of one of these tools, as im curious as to what has actually happened inside.

Will post up my findings. :)

7. D4LFR Forum Member

Make sure the ribe bit is long enough aswell some of the bolts are quite deep

8. Richard Mk2

Will do mate, cheers. :thumbup:

9. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Exactly what Sam says in his post, probably an injector fault that has caused the cylinder to run hot, that plug has melted!! they will all need checking for flow on a test bench... Then move on to the pump & lift pump... What management and mapping do you have on the car?

Modern fuels leave some strange deposits when they are left for long periods, maybe this has contributed to any injector/pump problems if the car has been stood for long periods. Along with changing the engine it would be best to invest in the fuel system and mapping.

10. Richard Mk2

Its running on an OEM Ecu, Rubjonny loom and a standard map.

Will definitely invest in a new fuel system, and will also have it mapped.

The car has only been stood since november, so i guess the fuel should be ok from then.

Will be stripping the engine down when i get the time to investigate more and will post up my findings ;)

11. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Very disapointing to read this after all your hard work, i feel for ya man :cry: my first thought was a missing piston/damaged block? will be interesting if theres any clues to why this happened.. Good luck putting her right :thumbup:

12. Richard Mk2

I am gutted, but it will be back better than ever ;)

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

can this be blamed on the stretch?

14. Richard Mk2

lol

You love stretch really ;)

15. Richard Mk2

Right then, had some time on my hands this morning so i decided to remove the exhaust manifold and the turbo.

Upon moving the turbo, i could hear pieces of metal rolling around inside, which doesn't sound good :(

Looking at the valves from the exhaust side i found this -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the turbo may still be ok, as there doesn't seem to be much damage on the hot side. From what i could see anyway, but there was a lot of metal particles falling out.

Will take it apart and investigate further soon. Will also remove the head soon and see what damage has been caused.

Still not sure what may have actually caused this ? I want to have the injectors seen to, just incase it was a duff injector which caused cylinder 3 to run lean. ?

Ive got my new'ish engine now, so will be building this up on the side for a while, making sure this doesn't happen again !

16. Richard Mk2

Seen as i found metal pieces in the turbo, if the blades on both sides seem ok and not damaged, would or could anything else be damaged in the turbo ?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  17. Lewis583

Lewis583 Forum Member

The only way to properly asses turbine/compressor wheel condition is to remove both housings. You can only see parts of them with the both housings in situ.

Do you mean the AGU engine?

If yes, I would bet the cylinder head is badly damaged/scrap. Piston crown badly damaged and now scrap. More than likely scores/scratches in the cylinder wall, which could be took out with an overbore if they're bad or a good honing if they're not too deep.

18. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I think you would be very very lucky not to have damaged turbine wheel fins on the inside that cant be seen untill you remove turbine housing

Looks like valve head has dropped off and quite possibly at the friction weld or near by

I think unfortunately whole engine will be scrap apart from crank and rods and camshafts. Also sump, water pump etc etc will still be ok and can be used as spares

19. Richard Mk2

Sorry guys, i worded the above post wrong. I meant any more damage to the turbo internally. :)

The AGU is definitely scrap. Will be taking all the good bits off it though if anyone wants anything ;)

I was hoping that the turbo was still in good condition, but as said above, the turbine wheel is fragile and easily damaged, especially with metal passing through them.

I'll open it up and have a good look once i have the time. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  20. Damian Adamski New Member

My friend had this and it does not affect to the piston and cylinder. After replace a head the engine is runing ok.
    [​IMG]