Lowering cars - the end

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by A.N. Other, Sep 9, 2009.

1. lufbramatt Forum Member

agreed

or go mental and put a 5" body lift and unimog axles on your disco

[​IMG]

[:D]

BTW the rims on that are 20"

2. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yea i mean Big Ron [:$] lol.

Gurds

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

They're made to look good and they do look good in some ways, I'd rather have an OEM+ look with a built 16v with a widetrack and some other goodies though.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This is clever, but it's non-structural modification. I make it 'easy' but obviously it needed the idea, and clean execution.

Is that white Mk3 running air-cooled underpinnings? I scanned the blogs, and saw a hint of a mention.

6. karmann gettit

karmann gettit Forum Member

Thanks for cheering me up! that's fab.

7. paul_c Forum Member

Ummmm I think its a Type 4 because a K70's engine is at the front and the type 4 at the rear. The Brasilia is styled like a type 4 but is mainly Beetle mechanicals.

8. You can buy rear tubs ready made on the internet - stacks of yank muscle cars use them for extra tyre clearance. Cut them to fit, mark it out, then cut out the old and weld in the new. Not something I'd say is a massive mod, unless it's on a front engined, front wheel drive car.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The number of Golf track cars going around with serious inner arch mods is approximately zero. That for me says a lot, though of course geometry comes into play.

Still, if it were easy, it would have been done by now, several times over.

10. Claypole Forum Junkie

Just goto a show and take the wheels off... sorted and costs **** all.

"Decked". :lol: :thumbup:

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:lol:

12. vidfletch Forum Member

It is a Brasilia. In the photo at the start of the thread you can see it's quite short and doesn't have the extra pillar in the rear side window as the VW 412 or 411 Variant . The front of these is like a VW 412. The VW 411 is pretty much the same as the 412 but has a flat front to it, not forward sloping.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Quite interesting. So it's like a mini hatchback version of what were otherwise saloons/estates:

411:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

412:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Type 4 wiki

Brasilia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brasilia Wiki

I'd never heard of the VW Brasilia before last weekend [:$]

14. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Mines too low really but I love the way it looks and the comments it gets so there way i'm gonna change it, forever getting stuck and scraping the bottom on the floor, can't drive down the short way to my house 'cause it has speed bumpers so I have to do an extra mile home everyday, can't get near any multi stories and it wont fit on any ramp, I can't even get a trolley jack under it without driving on to blocks first. I've only got 60mm between the subframe and the road!
    There's not even enough room to fit an open rizla packet under the bumper
    [​IMG]
    Stupid, pointless and a giant pain in the back side but I love it:lol:

15. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

The Brasilia was the beetle replacement built by VW Brazil, the only genuine beetle replacement to ever be built.

VW Germany designed and built the MK1 golf.

They where made from 1973 upto 1982, available in 2dr and 4dr.

They use a Beetle front torsion suspension beam, gearbox and rear end.

(Taken from the Volksworld feature)

You see alot in Brazil, and south America. Along with other crazy VW's.

I think the Mk3 they are building, is going onto a Type 3 floorpan. From reading the Blog, I believe they are trying to do it for VW Players.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The more I look at it, the nicer it is. A cute stubby hatchback, far more youthful than the estate 411/12s, and the show Brasilia is pretty damn funky on its Fuchs wheels, it has to be said.

But I'm still not feeling this arch tubbing stuff. I'm also a bit wary of letting air cooled cars prevail over water cooled cars at what is a 99.9% water-cooled show.

I guess the air-cooled modifying brigade have been at it so long that they're streets ahead in terms of their thinking.

So it's the haves, and the have nots, with a gaping void between the two. I can just imagine the agonising over whether or not to pitch for "the work" to be done, to drop the body 2 more inches in a show field. I am genuinely worried for those with aspirations, but without facbrication skills or trusted garage, not to mention funds.

The Mk3... same. I'm sure it'll be lovely, blatantly they want the rear suspension for the visual cambers... but if it scoops trophies, I'll be pointing to all the fabrication, and also to the judges for losing sight of what - cold towel time - this was all ever supposed to be about (IMO) :thumbup:

17. Mike Roberts Forum Member

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

19. Admin Guest

it was tubbed because it is super low and narrowed by 7" up front, and then running 17"s

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The front did look narrowed, presumably to get some steering angle on it at the ride height it runs.

But does wheel size dictate tubbing is 'ok' ?