Megasquirt ecus (feeler)

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by bens_cab, Jan 7, 2007.

1. bens_cab Forum Junkie

If anyone is interested in buying megasquirt to use with 20vt or 16vt engines i can supply with base maps and looms where needed

its a cheaper alternative to EMERALD, DTA ,HALTECH,

if anyone wants more info contact me through pm

2. bertelli_1 Forum Member

When are we gonna see your car ben??

3. Admin Guest

what sort of power can you run through this, mapability of them?

4. bertelli_1 Forum Member

You can have as much power as you want. MS will run a 20 cylinder engine (if it existed) at up to 20,000 rpm. It is fully programmable, 12x12 fuel and ignition maps plus enrichments, plus nitrous, launch control, boost control etc etc.

5. Admin Guest

whats it like wiring in then?
    how does it cut into the loom?
    mk1 GTi wiring?

6. bens_cab Forum Junkie

megasquirt

well all being well i should be at no rice in feb with it ;) ;)

as for the wiring is just a case of finding the right 12v feeds as some are switched via the ignition then splicing your sensors into the ecu ive known some people wire a ecu up in 2 hours

i wired mine myself without to many problems as long as you have a multi meter a haynes manual your good to go

as for mapping it is possible to map it yourself with somone driving the layout of the megatune allows even a novice to do it but you must read the tuning manual first;)

7. bens_cab Forum Junkie

megasquirt

If anyone is interested i will be at no-rice febuary with the car so you can see for yourself that this is a cheap alternative to other systems and in some respects better:)

8. coilbox Forum Member

Is there any diference if you use a 20vt with VCT(Variable Cam Timing) , like the 225hp version?

9. bens_cab Forum Junkie

dont quote me on this but i dont think it matters if you have it wired up or not the best person to ask with that question is toyotec

from what i can remeber people normaly opt out of the vvt not sure why

10. steved Forum Member

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so whats is the difference and what is the gain over, say, a standard ABF ecu?

does it simplify stuff and allow more flexibility and hence power?

12. bens_cab Forum Junkie

for cost look at how much DTA EMERALD AND HALTECH there close to 1000 and more where as the megasquirt comes in at a lowly350 and that is with a basemap to get it running

from there on you can map it yourself as long as you have a wideband or you could get toyotec to map it for a fee

most places that map on a rolling road charge 300 plus where megasquirt can be road mapped

the difference between the abf ecu is that you do have the flexability to run boost control nos and it could be mapped to within an inch of its life if you wanted

so with your abf if you put bigger injectors or a turbo on the engine what would you do about mapping the digifant ecu ?? take it to revotec or formula one they charge you 300 to map it

with the megasquirt you can chop and change things as you like so bigger injectors you just tell the ecu you have more fuel now obviously there is alot to learn about megasquirt but the way i see it the more you know about how your engine runs the better

theres is so much information on how to map megasquirt it really is worth going down the cheaper route sometimes

for to long now people have been put of having the engine they want due to the cost of the ecu but now thats all changed megasquirt will truly run what ever you want

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

for example, my abf has a 'blitzchip' chip in the ecu. i have no idea whether its a good or bad map, but if i go to MS, is it likely that ill be able to get make the engine run better?

how clever is it, for example, with knock sensors?

in fact, im gonna go look for a website for them, see what can be controlled

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The gain in this case is that it will allow the user adjustablity. If you know what you are doing.

15. bens_cab Forum Junkie

The real reason for offering this option with megasquirt is because so many people have bought a megasquirt from a supplier who doesnt know there needs which then causes huge problems for the people fitting then there are many different variants of megasquirt and it fustrtes me when someone is struggling only because they didnt get what they needed

i spent nearly a year getting my ecu to the point of completion and now i have theres no reason why other people shouldnt be able to get the same setup as mine its been tried and tested we know what what the ecu requires to run the 20vt and 16vt

so were just offering a easy solution thats cheap with minmal fitting hassles it may be that this will become some kind of plug n play system in the near future

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/

17. coilbox Forum Member

Interesting for 20vt swap:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

no inmobilizer to worry about

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  18. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i think toyotec will agree the megasquirt does run the 20vt extremely well and the best bit it is the americans still aint managed it

at the moment were not using the coil on plugs with the engine as there are issues with them anyway but hopefully toyotec will resolve that in the near future im using the a 306 coilpack with 16v leads which doesnt look to out of place

19. steved Forum Member

20. bens_cab Forum Junkie

megasquirt is well established you can buy a basic ecu built or in kit form involves lots of soldering what were offering a ready built unit with a base map and loom if needed and the support

there is a forum for the megasquirt take a look at the problems people have encountered many of them have built the ecus or bought them pre built and still have problems

were just trying to cut the hassle out of it for you with a setup that works well for your engine type all you have to worry about is fitting it which isnt that hard