meine auto and the ring.

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Matt82, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

im thinking about changing a few little things as a result of how i found the car to behave at the ring.

before the ring i replaced/changed anything that i could think of that might need have needed to be done to get the car in tip top condition.

the new arb drop links seem to have given the car a slightly reluctant turn in. i think now that the arb is properly connected to the wishbones, the front arb has more influence and hence the initial understeer

once settles into the corner there are no real issues with grip and the car is very steerable with the throttle. a lift and a tug on the steering wheel will always bring the back end alive and make the car even more adjustable.

even with tight tight corners i never seem to run out of grip once the tyres are up to temp.... its just the initial turn in response i want to fix.

i think i could

A) lower the rear a bit more. the car is nose down, a lowered rear would increase rear camber and with a lower roll centre at the rear, surely this will make the rear less reluctant to change direction?

B) add a spacer to the rear, this will increase rear roll resistance, giving the front more influence on the rear and maybe improving the turn in response.

what do you recon?

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hi Matt,

Both your methods will make the turn in response even worse I'm afraid.

You can try:
    - A little more front camber
    - Stiffer rear springs
    - A stiffer rear ARB
    - Change the front caster

Gurds

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

hi mate.. ive got -2* on the front camber at the moment. that was absolutely fine until i put the new drop links on. i would put the old ones back in but ive binned them!

a stiffer arb isnt that simple. the original arb is built into the beam, plus my current under/oversteer balance is good, i dont want to alter that and make the rear even more wayward.

5. prof Forum Addict

more castor with adjustable top mounts? harder rear springs

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

A change in front castor will help loads but it isn't a simple job. Will get more grip from the front without altering the rear.

Fitting a new rear arb is simple as the original stays in place and the new one is fitted as an addition. I still think that this will give a good result.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how large will the new rear arb be?

its not really a new rear arb is it. its an ADDITIONAL rear arb, which i can only see really upsetting the over/understeer balance, which is currently fine and very managable

what does the rear toe angles do as the rear is lowered?

8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Well, on Arminder's VR6, he fitted an Eibach rear bar only and he absolutaly loves the way his VR handles now.

If only fitting a rear bar then a 25mm bar will probably be fine. You could fit a 28mm bar for proper rear end action though! It will never become french car crazy though so I would go 28mm. It will cause 3 wheel action to come in easier. Lift of oversteer will become a little more apparrent too. I suggest you go drive a car with the arb fitted already so you get an idea of how it feels.

The rear axle from the mk1 through to the mk4 is a fixed axle that pivots like a hinge (FWD only). No matter how low you take the rear, the camber and toe will not change on the back.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the rear camber and toe does change. where do you get your information from?

what was OE negative camber is swung round to become toe in, as the car is lowered and the axle pivots round

10. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

I agree I've been trying to tell Matt that uprated ARB(s) are the way forward.

What you are looking for is a stiffer rear end, either with stiffer springs or with bigger ARB.
    :)

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

jesus christ, having read singh's advice so far, i really wont be taking that route. the under/over steer balance is controlled by ARBs, ADDING another huge arb to the back is only going to mess the right up, like i said my current balance is fine.

sukvhir, what cars have you driven hard with two arbs on the back?

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

sell up and go buy a RWD car?? lol

13. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Every mk2/mk3 gti that has uprated the rear ARB always adds additional to the original. I have never heard of any drivers complain that there cars have become oversteering killing machines.

Seriously, go drive one before you make a descision.

No one is going to give you the answer on a plate. How the car behaves is subjective to what the driver wants out of the car. Either try some of the ideas presented or try out yours. See what works and go from there.

Gurds

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

and smear vaseline over the rear tyres.... or add another rear arb haha

bit extreme when all you want is a bit more turn in response

we all still on for your place the weekend after next?

15. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

If that's aimed at me then it's not appreciated. [:x]

Thanks.

Gurds

16. Sukh

I drive my car hard in the corners and my rear bar is set on middle setting of a 28mm H&R ARB.

I have perfect turn in and no shocking oversteer my limiting factor now when cornering is tires. Looking at getting some Hankook RS2's..

As Gurds says its what you want to get out of the car thats most important.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yup, and you have an uprated arb front and rear. so that adds up

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what are you talking about? ive already said i dont agree with your suggestion. i dont want more inherent oversteer, ive said that what it currently has is fine and ive said i dont agree with your suggestion. or wasnt that clear enough?

19. Sukh

If you are looking at not fitting an additional rear ARB, look into getting a VR6 rear axle as they have a larger internal ARB. 21mm as opposed to our 20mm one.

I can't see how fitting a rear ARB will upset the balance of the car, if anything golfs need a stiffer rear end when pushed to the limit you will end up with understeer.

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

this thread is pointless. i push my car hard a lot, i pushed it hard at the weekend at the ring.

there is nothing wrong with the car under or oversteer wise. if there was, i would have said. it really has no under or oversteer problems, i wasnt joking.

it needs a touch more turn in response, not more inherent oversteer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.