mk1 golf 1.1c, now with added ALT 2.0 20v on 48's!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by seventynine, Sep 13, 2013.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Some good work going on there!.

2. bigmac Forum Member

Loving this thread. It's refreshing to see someone taking a different route!

3. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Cool thread, was the accident at flyover near ripple road? Shame about what happened to the wheels!!

4. prof Forum Addict

I have a set of gixxer tapered throttle bodies, 42mm at the smallest point from my old ABF. pm me if they are of any use

5. seventynine Forum Member

yeah exactly there. wouldn't recommend old mag wheels to anyone after seeing how they failed

6. seventynine Forum Member

thanks, i'm after something a little bigger, hopefully going to 45's :)

*might* be reverting back to a 16v head (FSI) if i can find one cheap enough, i work with Toyotec on here and he's fairly knowledgeable on the subject and highly recommends doing it!

7. prof Forum Addict

there's a set of e36 m3 throttlebodies on ebay today, look like they are paired like webers, they were 180 the lot earlier

8. seventynine Forum Member

thanks Prof, they are definitely a nice looking body, any idea on the dimensions?

long way off the intake side of things at the minute, trying not to hoard bits unless they come at a good price :lol:

9. seventynine Forum Member

UPDATES

decided that in order to make the front panel truely detachable i'd need a radiator and oil cooler support panel. so i went to work and made just that. came in handy when making the custom headlight bowls needed for the westmoreland grill....

had a new radiator made up by a friend to the spec i wanted. after trying to find something similar dimension wise and coming unstuck. was 200 with a fan in the end and the quality is excellent :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

found a GTi box crate westmoreland grill too!

[​IMG]

10. seventynine Forum Member

PTII
    first things first, i've decided i really really really miss the sound of carbs, and the power delivery, and the smell of bad fuel mixture, so i bought a set of 48's, you can actually get an off the shelf big port 20v to DCOE manifold from a company called Rowland in South Africa, quite cheap too! so yeah, that's the intention now, alongside ignition only management and keeping the coil on plug

[​IMG]

another thing that i've thought of is that with everything mounted to the new front frame there's very little reason to keep the slam panel, so i've got rid of that to open things up a bit for the air intake etc

[​IMG]

intention is to run bonnet pins, and i've got a few ideas for mounting the grill and airbox but that will come later

[​IMG]

moving round to the back i was unhappy with how i'd filled in the boot floor (call it a learning curve i guess) and figured it'd be better to just go completely flat, much simpler and far less fussy

so out with the old

[​IMG]

and using my new sheet roller, in with the new

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

happy with that, specially as a first attempt at sheet metal rolling anyway :)

talking about first attempts, i've been putting in quite a bit of aluminium welding practise lately, and figured it was about time i dare step up and actually utilise some of the things i'd learnt myself, i reshaped the intake and outlet on the radiator to suit the routing of my hoses a little better, it's not the neatest bit of welding but it's a start, for that i can only apologise,

started off with a bit of measuring,

[​IMG]

then a bit of cutting and beading

[​IMG]

then put the torch to it and joined everything together

[​IMG]

bottom one was a bit more tricky as it needed to go through a couple of turns, but will do the trick!

[​IMG]

all fitted up to the car -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

one last thing i did manage to fit in is finishing off the brake linkage, as i'm keeping the servo in the stock location the linkage needed a bit of beefing up

[​IMG]

:)

[​IMG]

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice work. There is loads of mileage on detachable front grilles/slam panels to be had - mine is part detachable - and making the headlamp holders has just expanded the potential :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  12. seventynine Forum Member

Thanks Chris,

feel free to put some pics of other people's versions if you have any [:D]

next on the list is all the lines for vacuum, oil, fuel and brakes, i've been looking at a lot of airride installs lately and some of the ideas translate neatly into the engine bay, i've bought some fancy bending and flaring equipment and the intention is to create everything from stainless or aluminum tubing with appropriate flex sections where necessary

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This is my version here - a link rather than OT your thread :thumbup:

Essentially trying to get what the Mk2 onward -> has on a Mk1

14. seventynine Forum Member

excellent :)

the entire front panel is bolted on (see page 1) and i don't intend to run a slam panel at all, as the steel frame will support everything and take up less space, which will become more useful as the area around the front of the engine fills up! a large section is going to become an alloy airbox to feed the carbs, which can run all the way to the grill and have a neat section that meets the bonnet

15. seventynine Forum Member

My apologies, i didn't actually include pics of the detachable lower half!

[​IMG]

16. seventynine Forum Member

small update as i've been busy moving house, talking of which, moving cars too, the golf is tucked away in another new home [:D]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the next big project to undertake is to take my hand to exhaust manifold design, so armed with the knowledge i picked up from a Philip Hubert Smith book, i bought some prototyping equipment and a bit of software -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the prototyping kit i picked up when i was in detroit last month, it's essentially lego for exhaust manifolds, each section has a CLR and diameter, and markings on the parts to let you know how the alignment angle between each section, alongside that the kit comes with clamps to aid tack welding each section and a jig to allow for accurate cutting on the bandsaw to the correct angle. also connectors to tie into pipework, so you can make a hybrid as you're going along

[​IMG]

i'll put up a post later with the output information from the software, but essentially i'll be building a 4 to 1 manifold and keeping it relatively short, and of course equal length, i've gone through a couple of designs, but keeping the stock brake location meant i lost some package space, i kept it simple to begin with and came up with this design -

[​IMG]

although it looks relatively straight forward, getting the primaries to collect into one stock location that kept them short was impossible, so i moved onto the next design

[​IMG]

still coming a little too close to everything i scrapped off the simple approach, inspired with pictures of stuff i'd seen on the internet i managed to squeeze it all in real close and get each branch equal, and kept the package space to a minimum. excellent!

[​IMG]

only problem i have with this now is the collector will be sitting quite far towards the gearbox end of the engine and there might be difficulty fitting it in around the brake booster and gear linkages. but for now i've at least come up with a solution

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    tshirt2k likes this.
  17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's an epic man cave :thumbup:

Infinity made up a monster collector, his thread is about on here or you may know him on FB also :thumbup:

You could always go pedal box and lose all the servo parts?

18. seventynine Forum Member

unfortunately i couldn't get the collector in the right place on that design so back to the drawing board!

i moved the collector to the other side of the bay now and worked my way backwards up from the collector, getting there slowly, made a design last night that was 2" too long on one of the primaries haha. i can see me spending the whole weekend trying to get a design that works![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Sirguydo likes this.
  19. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Really nice work interesting read :thumbup:
    Thanks for sharing you fun/ heartache lol

20. browner01 New Member

love this thread [8D]