Mk1 GTi 1.8-16v track car rebuild.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by NicD, Jan 21, 2011.

1. jamesa Forum Junkie

Are you keeping the standard heater ?

2. NicD Forum Member

I am, is this a bad thing? :)

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

Nope ... essential piece of equipment I reckon.

Just interested where it`s air intake is going to come from as you have removed the `firewall` / bonnet seal from the `scuttle` ?

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. NicD Forum Member

Guess it will be one of those 'lets hope it works' situations!

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

It`ll work OK but my reason for asking is down to the competition regs.

You need a seal / firewall between the engine bay and the interior of the car ... by removing the scuttle / seal you could allow engine fluids into the car if the car were to roll over. Scrutineers should check this and can exclude you.

The Reeves Mk1 has installed a `duct` from above the bonnet to help counter this issue.

Apologies for being vague / slow but was unsure of your knowledge on these matters ... not that I`m any authority ;)[:$] ... far from it.

Just a precautionary note as I`ve seen it in practice ... to others.

6. NicD Forum Member

I hadn't thought of/realised that but that does make sense, I'll have a chat with a mate of mine who scruitineers around here and see what he says. Is the best solution to weld a plate back across the bay or is there another way to do it? Box just around the heater perhaps?

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

8. NicD Forum Member

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

Mmmmm... I`ve just checked the Blue Book and can not find a direct reference to substantiate my statement above in 127 [:$]
    Closest being K 14.1.2 ... every effort should be made to isolate fuel tanks and pipes from the driver / passenger compartment

I was working off an actual scrutineering experience of some years ago.

The race and rally sections mention fuel tanks and firewalls but not engine compartments whereas the Sprint / Hillclimb section has nothing at all.

Apologies for the confusion .... and would be interested in the view of your friendly scrutineer ?

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  10. NicD Forum Member

I did manage to speak to him earlier and his view was that it was a grey area and every scruitneer would view it differently. He personally would sign it off being a mate but reckons others might not pass it, but he'll have a chat and see what the local consensus is, although it does remove all doubt if I did as you said earlier. :)

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks ... good luck with the rest of the build.

12. NicD Forum Member

Thanks James :)

13. NicD Forum Member

[​IMG]

Finished! Result hey?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  14. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

I'm sure the aero catches are ment to be set a correct way, says so in the instructions from what i recall!

15. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I don't think you should have it painted mate, I'm loving the harloquin'esq look tbh ;)

16. NicD Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does look kind of moody in the multicolours :)

Anyway fitted the aero catches with a bit of consideration of how they should fit and the correct way but it came down to finding a suitable place to pit the pins and not interfere with too much under the bonnet, I'm happy that the tension in the catch will stop them popping open any time soon.

17. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Sensational :thumbup:

18. benny Forum Member

Yes please!! [:d]

19. geordiegar Forum Member

Stunning Nic, shouldn't be long now.

20. NicD Forum Member

Cheers guys :) No shouldn't be too long at all now, I think the engine is ready so just need to sort the logistics of getting that down to the car and then running in and mot etc, another 3/4weeks perhaps?