MK1 Jetta - back home again

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jettadan, May 16, 2005.

1. jettadan Forum Member

Going over in the van supporting Sam, carrying all the tools n stuff. Also got someone poping over to collect a T4 bodykit. At least the van as ready in time:

[​IMG]

:lol: Never mind, next time eh!

Few pics to update. New bits fitted without success:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a slightly worn cam........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cu all tomorrow[:D]

2. jettadan Forum Member

As i've had the day off and am waiting for Sam to arrive, might as well do something usefull, so apart from collecting, loading and cleaning the van and car i also recovered the rear shelf in the Jetta to get rid of the annoying reflection in the rear window, and also around the digifant fusebox in the glovebox:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit of food now, and then a nice drive over to Lincoln.......

3. jettadan Forum Member

Leads have eventually arrived:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So long as ur not in a rush and you don't mind if its wrong first, second and third time, get some Formula Power leads.......

And a quick one from saturday before it all went wrong:

[​IMG]

Hope to be looking at the electrics on the Jetta soon.

4. jettadan Forum Member

BIG thanks to Rob for getting the Jetta running - looks like the timing belt had slipped so it was all out as i'd suspected.

Think i'll run it for a while, then replace the timing belt and tensioner, and remove the head and give it a once over while i'm at it before a new cam goes in.

Great to be able to drive it again [:D]

Pics soon.....

5. Aphex Forum Junkie

Excellent!

Lot's of pics so I can set them as my work background again :lol:

6. jettadan Forum Member

LOL - i'll get some better pics done once its clean again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Aphex Forum Junkie

Nice one [:D]

No-one at work seems to understand your car though

'why have you got that banger on your screen'

Queue me spending 10 minutes bending their ears off about how nice it is :lol:

8. jettadan Forum Member

Another thanks to Rob for fiddling with the timing again - runs pretty good now with hardly any hesitation between gear changes. Front has come down another 25mm after it was too high with the new coilovers, but will probably come down a little more as i like a nose-down stance. Tracking isn't too bad but will need to be done professionally at some point.

Given it a good clean and spent a few hours last night cleaning the interior - looking much better now and theres more to do.

Trying to get all the little fiddy jobs done, which will just leave the head to sort out.

Some pics from last week or so. Got to get this lot to fit in the engine bay which should be fun:

[​IMG]

Oil catch tank to be fitted:

[​IMG]

Built-up fronts prior to fitting:

[​IMG]

Top mounts with the spacers that I had machined fitted:

[​IMG]

Rubbish pic of them fitted to the car:

[​IMG]

I've also fitted the leads and cut/welded/modified the alternator bracket again:

[​IMG]

And the MK4 shifter destined for the silver one:

[​IMG]

I'll post more pics when i've finished cleaning and detailing.

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Loving this look but can someone tell me for definite if the stick on number plates are legal & are there certain circumstances (maybe because of shape of car etc).

[​IMG]

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

They were outlawed after a certain point. The rules state something like all plates must contain the name of the plate supplier, and all stick on plates for caravans and trailers were no longer sold.

But of course those have been on there since before the rules changed, and on an A-reg car, that's entirely feasible ;). Why should anyone have to risk the removal of paint to get them off? :)

11. jettadan Forum Member

Pretty insignificant update, but i'm bored so rollocks to it :lol:

Had the leaking manifold welded which has promptly started to leak again [:x] so once i've saved for a cam and associated parts to sort the head i'll pull the manifold off and try and fix it properly while its all apart. Untill then i'll have to put up with the extra noise [:s] Only managed to stop a water leak and clean the boot up a bit and get some more pipework to fit the filter - still need some more bits and an intake before that goes on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still gotta get the tracking done properly and it needs a tune but it'll have to wait till i've sorted the head. Untill then i'll have to put up with the popping and farting and flame-spitting :lol: Got some more bits in the post today too - can you guess what they are........

[​IMG]

Thats a full set of spare NOS doors i've got now [:D]

Should be going to the show up near Carnforth this sunday - first one it'll have managed to get to!

12. jettadan Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Booked into Pipewerx in a fortnight for the exhaust and manifold to be fixed, then it can be lowered a bit more and have the suspension properly aligned. Then i just need to sort the head and get it tuned. Getting there slowly:lol:

13. jettadan Forum Member

Update time.

So much for having an easy week off before starting the new job....spent pretty much the whole week messing with cars and car related issues.

Vento back at home now waiting for its re-test on tuesday after having a new lamba probe fitted - it should pass this time as the garage gave me a new printout showing the emissions to be fine, and to be fair to them they only charged me for the part with no labour or emissions test fees, but in total that was over 200 spent, plus two MoT's on top.....as for the fan, i've worked out (well, Danish told me :lol: ) that the control unit for the fan is now knackered after my dad kindly jet washed the engine before it went to the garage - water has got in and its foobarred, so need to source a replacement. Light at the end of the tunnel there though. Just the stiff gear shift to sort now.

As for the Jetta, well, here it is at a cruise in Blackpool the other week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took it to Pipewerx yesterday:

[​IMG]

A NEW ( :rolleyes: ) 4-branch manifold, flexi, wrapping, clips, labour and just short of 400 later and the exhaust is finally sorted with noise only coming out of the tailpipe for a change. I think i spent about double what i was expecting...........and said goodbye to my savings in the process!

Whilst it was on the ramps had a good poke around underneath and adjusted the rear shocks another 5 notches to hard, it drives much better and a lot less bouncy, but still harsh :lol: Of more concern was the state of the suspension - after a few months use, over 900 quids worth of stainless steel race suspension looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fronts are the same too - not impressed and will be forwarding pics to the manufacturer and dealer i got them off as surely they shouldn't look like that after such little use.

On the plus side, the new manifold clears the driveshaft by miles, so it'll be closer to the ground before Alltypes next weekend [:D]

This week also re-painted (not quite finished) the trailer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That took a while, stripping, undercoating and painting, together with some new marker lights and reflective stripes. Ready for plenty of use this year. Few small jobs left to do, but nothing major. And to round off the week, spent ALL day moving cars and parts around. Two pain in the a$$es together again:

[​IMG]

Hmm, what used to live here:

[​IMG]

Ohh, its moved :lol: :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Bus has been evicted - not finished but run out of time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still got to polish the drivers side and tailgate and roof, add more vinyl to cover the remaining dents and scrapes, then it needs to go to the garage to have the engine checked, as it now won't idle. Other bits and bobs to do when i get time.

Once the silver one had been moved and a few other jobs done, the rest of the afternoon was spent emptying the council garage which is going to be knocked down:

[​IMG]

And by 9pm tonight my 'temporary' shelter looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neighbours must love me:

[​IMG]

That lot will reduce significantly when i've sorted through it all. All my panels are in safe storage elsewhere, nice and dry :)

Didn't quite get everything done this week that i'd wanted, but it'll do for now. I'll post pics after next weekends show at Alltypes which i'm really looking forward to as hope to camp, so fingers crossed the weather is fine. You'll find the Jetta in the Retro display B)

TTFN.

14. ev nutter Forum Member

was quiet at nwvag some smart cars though

15. ev nutter Forum Member

greedy bugga 2 garages

16. jettadan Forum Member

I thought the turnout at NWVAG / CGTi North Lancs was good with a nice variety of cars, and keeps getting busier.

And as for the garages, you can never have enough storage / workspace :lol:

17. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

18. gillm

gillm ***** User

dan have you got any better pics of your top mounts ? could you tell me the distance diagonal between the holes

19. jettadan Forum Member

Yeah, will have been going to my mums near Kirkham.

Hopefully i was driving sensibly as that road does my head in with middle lane hoggers [:x] so i've got a tendancy to sit in the outside lane and pass everything :lol:

20. jettadan Forum Member

Only really got the pics already in the thread, but the distance diagonally between the holes is exactly the same as the standard MK1 top mounts - they are TAS ones i bought a few years ago.