MK1 Jetta - back home again

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jettadan, May 16, 2005.

1. jettadan Forum Member

Some pics from late last year, that my mate took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dan-ish

dan-ish Forum Member

You've been busy then

3. jettadan Forum Member

Trying Dan:lol:

Need to get this one out of the way as got some work to do to the Caravelle before I start using it everyday. Also fancy doing a track day next month, so want to get this finished.

Then need to resume work on the silver one as still got Duncan's chassis tilter - plenty to keep me busy!

Wot you been up to?

4. dan-ish

dan-ish Forum Member

Not much been away on training

5. scalainj New Member

Hello Dan

I see you have my old car!!! Looking good - always looked much better without the bumpers

What do you want to know?

Cheers

Andy

Oh and i'm out the scene - have been since Nicki took that over 4 years ago
    last i heard of it was that Denny had it - was running but prior to that it had been laid up for a couple of years - might explain the rust

6. jettadan Forum Member

Hi Andy - good to hear from you.

Yeah, I got the car off Dennis - it was on the road but needed a good refresh. I'm nearly there!!!

Is the engine mapable as still trying to work out what ECU etc its running and whether or not it can be remapped as it needs a session on the rollers. I've found the K Star.

Its currently waiting for a new windscreen seal, which arrived this morning (replacing the wrong one which was sent first time round...)

[​IMG]

Redid a bracket on the engine to make access to the spark plug slightly easier (its still a pain in the a$$ to get to though):

[​IMG]

I've also been removing bits and checking/replacing/cleaning bits in readyness for a BMC CDA kit i've ordered:

[​IMG]

New service items been fitted but its refusing to start at the mo as the timing seems miles out and it barely turns over. I've replaced the dizzy cap and rotor but not moved the dizzy at all so no idea why its so far out.

Relocated the fuel filter behind the scuttle to make some room:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine seems in good health:

[​IMG]

And fitted my fire extinguisher:

[​IMG]

Had a Blue Peter moment yesterday as the main stealers had trouble getting me an inlet manifold gasket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These also arrived this morning for the silver one:

[​IMG]

Sexual, like a lady:lol:

7. Aphex Forum Junkie

Ahhh dammit, that car looks so nice! I blame you for my new found love of mk1 Jetta's :lol:

8. jettadan Forum Member

Rear should be nice and hard:

[​IMG]

And there's the possibility of going quite low (remember, the Eibach/Koni setup is 40mm lower than standard:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I couldn't fit them as the bore of the original sleeve that sits on top of the spring cap is bigger than the new shocks, so there would be too much play at the top:

[​IMG]

Gaz are gonna make me some new ones with the correct bore for the piston and correct outer diameter for the top mounts/bushes. They're also gonna make me some inserts so I can fit my TAS top mounts as I need four and the two that i've got have a bore that is too small:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suspension should go on then........thats once i've sorted the N/S rear bottom shock mount. The bolt for the shocker was stuck solid and after an hours worth of messing it refused to budge, so dad cut the bolt so I could get the shock out, unfortunately he also cut the bottom mount slightly, and its a bit on the bent side now so that needs sorting too......

[​IMG]

We also tried, and failed, to fit the windscreen so gave up and that should be fitted properly by someone used to doing it everyday on monday.

Can you see a pattern appearing.....

Whilst messing under the car i took a closer look at the rear arches....which were starting to rust already. This wasn't helped by the way in which the plastic arches had been trimmed and bonded on creating some lovely dirt and water traps, so took and angle grinder to them both and cut them right back, removed loads of sealer, wire brushed the rust back and rust proofed it ready for painting again properly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as it stands now:

[​IMG]

I've ordered a pair of MK3 calipers from GSF as that will be everything replaced and theoretically the brakes should be fine and not need any more attention....famous last words.

I'm going back to work next week, ill and vomiting or not, as this week has been more stressful messing with bloody cars than if i'd been at work!

9. scalainj New Member

Hello Again

When it was built it was on Digifant - Vince advised that it was about as far as it could be stretched as was at that time struggling with the fuelling.

It was still on that when it left my care some 4 odd years ago. No idea where the K star came from

the block was originally a MK2 Golf 8v PB which TSR took out to a 2.1

The head came from a US mk4 cabrio i seem to recall

the rest of the spec is probably in the papers you have with the car

All a long while ago - good luck with it

I never got a chance to tune the handling really - it was excellent in a straight line but understeer was king - had to lift off hard to get the tail to swing the back - it was next on the list but i'm sure you have sorted that by now

all the best mate

10. jettadan Forum Member

Right, i'm losing the will to live.

Spent 3 hours led under the bloody thing welding up the rear bottom shock mount after umming and ahhing if i should just swap the whole axle over. Its pretty solid now but i might still weld a washer onto it to make sure its 100%. I had planned on fitting the new rear brakes, but that didn't happen as it was 9.30 by the time i'd finished and cleaned up. Also removed the stub axles and brake backing plates which won't be replaced.

Damaged mount:

[​IMG]

Dad making it look hard:

[​IMG]

After i'd had a go for the first time:

[​IMG]

And after a little grind with the angle grinder and file:

[​IMG]

On the plus side I used the Arc welder for the first time as the Mig had run out of gas, and after watching dad make it look hard it's surprisingly easy to use.

At least the screen was refitted yesterday:

[​IMG]

And the bits i'm waiting for from Gaz:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proper fed up as all i seem to be doing is going backwards.

11. G4Z-Mk216V Forum Member

so sooo nice.

12. OldDirty Forum Member

uber cool mate , was thinking of buyin one jetta not long ago but went for g2 16v , dam it ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  13. jettadan Forum Member

Thanks for the comments - I love the car really but its being a proper pain at the mo. Got the bits from Gaz - rear sleeves were spot on but for some unknown reason the top part on the bushes to fit the TAS top mounts were twice the size i'd specified, so once it was all bolted to the strut there was no thread to fix a nut too.......mate has taken them to be machined down to around 4mm which should give me about 10mm to fix a couple of nuts to.

BMC is on back order and won't arrive till the middle of Feb and hopefully the leads should be back early next week. I want to get everything fitted before i get it on the rolling road, so thats one thing less to try and organise next week.

Plan tonight is to build all the rear up again. We'll see how i get on......:lol:

14. jettadan Forum Member

Rear suspension, discs, pads and calipers fitted last night. Relocated the brake lines and handbrake cables due to using MK3 calipers but couldn't finish plumbing it in as the lines were metal and couldn't use the flaring tool, so this morning bought a roll of copper pipe and fittings to replace them with. Then just need the brakes bleeding and new fluid and should be done.

Hopefully get the front bushes back and can then fit the front suspension soon. Plug leads should be arriving early next week.

Also primed the arches and painted the rear axle where i'd repaired it.

Lots more to do, and it still won't start as there doesn't seem to be a spark from the coil, although dad has tested it and it seems fine. He rekons it this thing that sits piggy-back on the ECU but I havn't got a clue. If its knackered so am I!!!

Booked monday off work as can't see me getting much done this weekend as tonight going to load Dale's orange MK1 onto the trailer ready to go to Pipewerx in the morning, and then tomorrow morning will be spent at Pipewerx, and sunday is Minime day, so no progress there.

Wonder if it'll be ready by friday...might have a spare place for Cadwell.

I'll stick some pics up of last nights progress when i get chance, but it was 11.30 by the time i'd finished as last night took much longer than anticipated due to having to tie down the shelter to stop the whole lot blowing away, and also took a long time to get into my lockup to find a bolt for the rear suspension, as someone had tried to get into the door which took an age to open and then repair to make it secure again.

I think i've done something wrong in a previous life!!!!!

15. jettadan Forum Member

Should be finished monday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And spent yesterday sorting this out with Dale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the van's also started to play up. I was gonna use it to take Jetta to Cadwell next week so need to sort that out now too!!!!!!

16. jettadan Forum Member

Picked the bushes for the front up this morning, much better than before:

[​IMG]

Van went to the garage to be checked tomorrow, GSF swapped some cash for some handbrake cables and some spare plug leads were also acquired. Made up and fitted some new rear brake lines:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats the rear sorted now. Suspension raised a bit, and with the help of Dale brakes bled and new early MK2 GTi handbrake cables fitted and adjusted after the tubes that go through the floorpan had been trimmed back to give more adjustment/length.

NS rear arch was bonded back on again and both sides were sealed properly underneath, before the whole lot was painted with underseal:

[​IMG]

Definately water tight now. Even got a flush of motivation to reseal the drivers door and refit the door card:

[​IMG]

I'll find the bits of trim eventually.....

Tomorrow dads gonna have another go at the engine, and if i get home early enough I might bleed the front brakes and if its working take it to the local meet.

17. jettadan Forum Member

Looks like it won't be going to the ball as still can't get it to fire and running out of time rapido.

Also the van looks like its burned a valve due to the naff LPG system so needs the engine doing and doubt it'll be ready by friday, so all in all I think i'm gonna throw in the white towel for Cadwell, try and get everything sorted and then be ready for the next one.

Shame, as was looking forward to the track as it looked fun.

18. jettadan Forum Member

Well, spoke to Jordy of extremely fast MK1 Scirocco fame and he hopes to have the van ready for tomorrow afternoon. He was busy relapping the valves and had all the parts to rebuild it, so looks like the van will be ready.

Will the Jetta be though.........

19. jettadan Forum Member

And the answer to that last question is no!

After a new coil and ECU booster jobbie, it still won't run. Took a load of stuff off again to try and suss out if the timing belt had slipped, but i think its ok. Spent ages staring at it trying to work out where the pistons were in relation to the valves and the dizzy, which one was sparking and which one was next etc and it seems to be ok.....done this loads of times with my dad but could i remember it all....job for two people i think!

Borrowed another dizzy to try which might get it working, but i also discovered that the exhaust lobe on the cam for cylinder 1 is VERY worn (rest are perfect) so it looks like it'll need a new cam at some point too...oh joy. Once its working and i've got the parts i'll take the cylinder head off for a check, fit a new cam and tappets, bolt it all back up and set the timing and then get it properly set-up and rolling roaded.

Van has been done and i'll collect that tomorrow as already booked the day off for sorting the car out for Cadwell. Bill is around the 600 mark though, so its been an expensive few weeks. Time to give the wallet a rest i think.

I'll update as more things happen, but for now i'm gonna take a break and reflect.....

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sorry to hear Dan - you going to be catching a lift over?