MK1 Jetta - back home again

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jettadan, May 16, 2005.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Get as much primer/etch primer on every exposed bit of metal inside the car. Nothing worse than having to sand down a rusty cage, so just dive in and do that asap, as it will save so much time. Upol etch from Halfrauds isn't cheap, but easiest to find.

scanlan was selling his a while back in the Golf I think. That was a 2 litre 8v but I'm not sure that it was overly tuned. Was a nice car, put together smartly.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just back to you on the blue Jetta - hadn't realised you'd bought it. I think there was a feature in Rabbit or somewhere.

3. jettadan Forum Member

Yeah, bought it a couple of weeks ago just before i went to Woerthersee. I know it'd been for sale for ages, so got it for what I thought was a more reasonable price ;) You should see the bills that came with it - over 5k spent at Stealth in the first year they had it and thats without the engine and box or the 1.5k respray. It just needs a little tidying, fettling and general TLC and then it'll be my new daily driver and occasional track toy, meaning i can take my time with the silver one. It might not be highly tuned (paperwork shows about 165bhp @ flywheel and 155lb/ft) but it doesn't half shift for an old one :lol:

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sounds good - and a lot of torque there. It may have been featured in VWM perhaps - if I see the article, I'll remember straight away and scan it up. I remember it had a good amount of tlc on it when done.

On the Worthesee trip, didn't realise you were over though recall you'd been before - if you've anything to add to the W12 post (pics etc) add them! Thread here

5. Unknown Forum Junkie

The blue car was built by two old friends of mine, Scalainj and his girlfriend. They invested a good deal of time and cash in it at the time. I'm still vaguely in touch with them so I could get you some details if you like? Mail me from the address in my profile.
    As I recall it had a 2.0 or 2.1 bottom end with a flowed x-flow head and electronic management (digi if my memory is correct) much better than the 1.6 FR that was in it... it definatly needed the quaife and snappy clutch they fitted. I only drove it once but it pulled way harder than my 2.0 counterflow Mk1 I built at the same time.
    I guess you bought it off Dennis? Did it ever get the twin Webers? (or it might have been throttle body kit I cant remember)
    Good to see its still being enjoyed

6. jettadan Forum Member

Hi. It will be enjoyed as soon as I get it on the road - rear arches and sills need some work.........

Its got a TSR 2042 bottom end and an EIP big valve crossflow head with TSR 282 cam and digifant management. I got it off Dennis who bought it off Nicky. I've got all the bills, adding up to thousands, but no bills or details for the engine or box, just the fitting by Stealth. Still getting used to the clutch and not driven a car with a diff before, so apart from nearly driving onto the pavement after booting it in a bend, getting used to that too.

It hasn't got Webbers or anything else, just standard crossflow inlet. The exhaust is a bit worse for wear, so in due course that'll get changed and will add a 4-2-1 at the same time for a bit more pull. I don't want to go OTT with this one as its gonna be used daily and want to finish the silver one, but bike carbs or throttle bodies are certainly on the wish list for the future.

Did you say etch primer Chris.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks better after a second coat.

P.S. Left Woerthersee before they debuted the W12 Golf [:^(]

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, presume that's etch?

Worthesee - nightmare missing that, man! [xx(]

8. jettadan Forum Member

Little update. Nearly finished getting the blue one sorted, so it'll be out and about next year. It had a new wing fitted, welding to the arches and ends of the sills, few bits of bodywork sorted and then a lower half respray. I fitted a 4 branch and had a system made at Pipewerx. New windscreen was fitted together with front and rear spoilers and some other bits of trim were changed. Brakes on the rear have now been sorted, and just got the front to do, together with fitting some lowering spring caps and getting the tracking and camber done. Then its just a service, some little bits and bobs (sensors, leads etc.) and its finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theres lots of other things that i've done like gear linkage bushes, bearings, electrical gremlins etc but its mostly sorted now. Plenty of suspect maintenance was found, like inner CV bolts that i removed by hand, dodgy wiring and general bodging.

Overall though i'm very happy with it now - it goes like stink and with a rolling road session and remap it should improve a bit further. I think it looks ok too.

I'll get stuck into the silver one again soon too.

9. Carl loader Forum Member

Lookin good, lookin good!!

Whats happening with the silver one, we need more pics!!!

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice work Dan - good to see that one turned around quickly and track plans already on the horizon [:D]

11. jettadan Forum Member

I've not actually done any more work on the silver one, so its sat under a cover waiting more attention. However, i've been collecting more parts to get it finished like the correct driveshafts n stuff. The blue one's taken longer to get sorted than i anticipated, some of the previous servicing and mods have been very poor, so i've been busy sorting those out as i've gone along too.

And the blue one will definately be venturing out on track as its a fast little car, it surprised a couple of peeps in their turboed and supercharged VR6's the other day!

12. jetta 16v Forum Member

that blue jetta look just like the one i was going to buy from a mate called dennis a black dude from the thornton heath area with a 2.1 crossflow with 170bhp

13. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Brilliant mate, loving this thread!

14. jettadan Forum Member

Thats the one!

You might be glad you didn't buy it as i've had to spend a fair bit to get it into a good, solid condition, body wise and mechanically. I've certainly regretted buying it a few times, as the money i've spent on buying and fixing the blue one would probably have finished the silver one, but i was talked into it by my dad.........although all that said, it really is a fun little car and i'll be getting my money's worth out of it next year thats for sure[:D]

Few more little bits to sort and then work will start on the silver one again. And i've promised everyone that I won't buy any more cars, campers or anything else with 4 wheels till i've finished the silver one too[:s] :lol:

15. jetta 16v Forum Member

what sort of things did it need coz when i last sore it and drove it it looked alright

how much you give for it?

was the engine alright coz he did rag it abit pretty bad

16. jettadan Forum Member

I put a new front wing on it, rear arches were done together with the ends of the sills and passenger door, scuttle panel was de-rusted and then the lower half painted. I fitted a 4-branch as i got one cheap off ebay, and then had a full system made at Pipewerx as the one that was on it had seen better days. Its had bearings on the back, and discs and pads on the front. Gear linkage bushed were also replaced. As was the battery. Immobiliser was removed as it was buggered. Had to fit a new windscreen as i broke the original taking it out - my fault. One of the front Koni inserts is leaking so will need replacing soonish. Replaced some of the interior and exterior trim such as lights and indicators for ones in better condition (i've got lots of MK1 Jetta spares thanfully). New wheels and tyres. I'm awaiting a set of custom made leads, then it'll be getting new plugs and a full service and fluid change. So far the engine seems ok, although it's not perfect. Once it's been serviced it'll be going on the rolling road for a tune and re-map.

I gave 2k for it, which i suppose is a lot but if you look through the receipts its had thousands and thousands spent on it, most of which was good quality stuff. I added the receipts up and they came to over 7k and thats without the engine and box. Dunno what they cost.

All-in I suppose it now stands me at about 3.5kish - a lot for a MK1 Jetta but if you'd seen it a few weeks ago giving a supercharged MK3 VR6 a run for its money I think its not too bad. We'll see next year how it goes on track and up the strip.

The idea was that it'd be a stop-gap to keep me entertained while the silver one was finished and i wasn't supposed to be spending any money on it, but its surprising what copious amounts of fresh underseal can hide.....

17. gillm

gillm ***** User

awesome metal work mate

18. jetta 16v Forum Member

F**K me it didnt need all that when i last sore it i drove it round purley a few times it is pretty potent (as potenet as n 8v can be)he tyed to sell it to me for 2700 as i had a 4 branch and a set of carbs to go on it but i ended up buying a mk2 16v jetta which is a bit quicker for just 350

19. jettadan Forum Member

Like I said, its surprising what you can hide behind lots of black underseal and GTi arches....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exhaust:

[​IMG]

And its replacement:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needed tyres but I already had the wheels:

[​IMG]

Which i refurbed myself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Knackerd linkage bushes:

[​IMG]

Needed an inner CV boot as it had melted:

[​IMG]

Glad I looked at that as the CV bolts were all hand tight. Then i stuck a new wing on to replace the original which was bubbling where the ariel hole had been plated and dropped it off at the bodyshop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also put a fuel pump on it as it was a bit noisy:

[​IMG]

Replaced a few more bits such as knackered ball joints, battery and sensors:

[​IMG]

Together with the worn out discs and pads on the front and the grumbling bearings on the rear:

[​IMG]

Few engine bits, a service and tune and it'll be finished;)

And it's pretty nippy for what it is - happily sat behind a couple of Ford Focus RS's today at Donny but it didn't quite have the straight line speed to pass the Porsche Carrera 4 or the M3 :lol:

20. jettadan Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It kept up with the red MK5 parked in front of it on the grid - that had 270bhp.

I hope I can find some pics of it drifting round some of the bends or popping flames out of the exhaust :lol: Needs stiffer suspension and some track tyres, and it'll be spot on.

Fun day:)