Mk1 race car (Ex slick 50) and Mk2 daily.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by samfish, May 6, 2011.

1. Gozzi Forum Member

Thanks for the link.
    Is there anyone I can talk to on how you use the logger to determine the info. I use a DL1 in practice, we not allowed to use loggers of any kind in races. But using it as a control method is a good idea. It will definitly stop the moans and groans about certain things. No doubt people will moan about the logger instead.

2. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Yeah, I am sure there are some moans about the logger, and it will put some people off.
    The championship also uses the DL1, although I have not been fully involved this year and have not used one myself.
    I spoke in detail to a man who worked for Cosworth (Pi systems), he also worked with the 'Production touring car championship' who have used the DL1 data logger for scrutineering for a few years. He told me it took him nearly 3 years to be able to use the logger to accurately predict the BHP of a car (within 5bhp)..... So we may have to be patient for it to work really well for scrutineering - or it may be working perfectly already, I don't know.
    There is a pre-season meeting with the cars to determine a base level of acceleration etc.

I will be buying one in the next few months, so we can share our experiences hopefully.

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Yr pretty much there then Sam!

It would be interesting to know what pistons are in yr current engine...you maybe safe to run over 7K regularly...I'm letting Nick use over 7 where needed on cast pistons...I'll take the heat if there's a piston issue...it's my engine anyway...lol

What do the MK2 16v's weigh....950 kg's?

4. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

That`s exactly what I`m doing to mine too :thumbup:

I`ll be at Autosport on Friday.

5. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I think the 16v's are 950kg..... can't remember. Yeah, I'll pop the top and bottom off the engine soon :)
    Nige, Just sent you a PM.

6. samfish

samfish Forum Member

So I managed to save a bit of cash over January for some bits on the golf... but I just blew it on this:

[​IMG]

I know, I know, and it needs some work to be track-ready. But it will make a fun road/sprint/track car for the summer, without costing much. It has some history with the team - my Dad prepared/ran it in the one-make championship, and it won the last year in 1997. Still has that winning engine. The shell is from the mid-70's, so an early original'ish one - the cage pre-dates safety devices!
    Around 90bhp :)

Anyway, that will mean I wont be racing for most of the year, may manage Snett at the end. Although I will be out at the Apex festival in May, offering passenger rides for charity. The event sounds like great fun, can't believe I didn't go last year!

I have considered selling the Golf (again), as the funds could buy me something cheaper and some tracktime. But I may as well continue as I am, racing when I can. It just seemed like a chunky asset (with the spares/tyres etc) sat there, only to be used once or twice a year. Anyway, it is not depreciating.
    That's the latest!

7. 16valver Forum Member

Didn't expect to see that - that is ace!!

Have a bit of a soft spot for R5's. Have some fond early motoring memories of my early driving career involving an R5 turbo and a 550 Maranello, shortly followed by a blown head gasket. Remember standing at the side of the road (in school uniform) wondering wtf to do next...

8. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Another 'unexpected' twist today, as I just bought this:

Me driving it 2 years ago, invited by the generous owner:
    [​IMG]

Later in the day the owner put it in the armco:
    [​IMG]

For me, this is the holy grail of Renault 5 race cars (apart from the Renault 5 Turbo 2 monsters that raced around Monaco). It is Chassis number 90, lower than the one in the Renault collection. It is one of the original race cars from the first season in 1986. Back then, the championship attracted some of the best tin-top drivers in the country, and Rowan Atkinson featured in the top ten.
    I'll restore it one day, it needs to go on the jig!

Sorry if you clicked and expected some VAG update :p
    I'll be doing trackdays only in the Golf this year. Passenger rides for friends, and the like. I'll get round to updating the Golf bit soon.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  9. Admin Guest

hmmm R5's:thumbup:

10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks Jon. I just need an Alfasud to complete my ideal 'hothatch' garage lol

The lap record for a 5GT Turbo in strict 'Championship spec' around brands Indy is 54.44 seconds. That was a competitive driver on slicks in a car built by my Dad, set in '97 I believe. I think Graham Hill bend was in it's current guise then. That is bloody fast.
    I have chased the previous owner of the R5 around Brands in my Golf, and we where quite evenly matched. It takes a bit of experience to get the most from the turbo though, left-foot braking etc.

I'll get back to the Mk1 Golf stuff from now on.....

11. Caddyrage Forum Member

Love it mate. Sometimes I wonder why I don't have a collection of renaults as I was brought up with them due to folks having loads.
    I will try to get hold of a maxi 2 when the times right though :)

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

I nearly bought an Alfasud rally car last year, but the seller forgot to mention it had been rolled - a mate of mine bought a S2 Ti Historic racer recently as well... when he scares himself and gives up I'll probably buy it from him ;)

You should talk to Matt at Think Automotive - he's got an ex Touring Cars Clio that's a pretty awesome bit of kit. I think your dad might have had some involvement with it.

13. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Yeah. I would love an Alfasud. Apparently the handling is amazing. And wheren't they the original hot-hatch, or was it the R5 Gordini? My Dad raced them for a bit, and is hanging onto a late 'Ti' road car - although it is currently in pieces!

The 'Think Automotive' Clio was one of the Fish team cars, although I think they have now sold it. My Dad raced them and ran a team (below), supporting BTCC - as per current clio cup. They also got to race at Monaco supporting the F1 race :thumbup:

[​IMG]

I suppose it explains my affection for the cars. The un-silenced turbo's where the sound of my childhood :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  14. Mike_H Forum Addict

I saw it last night. He's still got it. Just had all the front subframe and suspension powder coated and put back on. Matt's car is black, so you could be talking about a different one. No sign of it having been red. It's all carbon panels, rose joints and air jacks. A proper touring car (from France maybe?) and not a support race job.

Matt did previously have a Clio that he and Martin Rogers (Tallchap on here and Northloop) raced in the Clio Cup (I think). That might have been the car you mean.

S1 and S2 Alfasuds weren't hatchbacks. They had a little boot like an allegro. The handling of the 'sud is awesome, due to the bulkhead across the middle of the engine bay, and the low slung engine. Shame about the rot ;)

This is the one my mate just bought.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C340005

Alfasud S1 and S2 boot lid - hinges just below the back window. The early shells are stiffer than the hatchbacks.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/deuxchasse/favorites/page8/?view=lg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  15. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Ah right, yip, not the black one by the sounds of it.
    Not sure what they have now, but they used to have one of our old pink ones (maybe still do) - as seen above. They had it for years, although that was after the Clio cup had finished in '95.

I remember seeing that 'sud for sale. It looks great!
    Their engines are quite far forward though.
    Crazy in-board front brakes as standard!
    Hothatch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_hatch

Interesting to think of the value of these cars now... the Alfasud and Renault 5 Gordini are so rare (numbers less than 50), but rarely sell for over 4000, even for an immaculate one.
    My Mk1 Golf is far more valuable than all of my other cars put together at the moment....

16. samfish

samfish Forum Member

So somebody smashed into my 'daily' Renault 5 and did this:

[​IMG]

Totally gutted, as there are only a handful (literally) of these cars on the road, and very few good 3-door shells left. It is very repairable, and the car will be going back on the road. Insurance is a bit of a nightmare.
    So last weekend I bought this:

[​IMG]

It is very original, although it has had paint at some point - albeit to a high standard. Low'ish miles and owners. I think it only covered 17,000 miles by 2003. It appears to have had a good overhaul, with new calipers all round.
    A few bits and pieces need sorting, balance the wheels, spanner-check, maybe a couple of new bushes.
    This is my first car that doesn't have torsion-bar suspension all round! ha. And it can accelerate up a hill!!!

Is it mean to have red-stripe bumpers? black stripes halfway down the side?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  17. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hope you get that 5 sorted. Looks nice even if it is gold. lol

The mk2 looks ace. Not many early ones about. Yea supposed to have red stripe bumpers and some side stripes or low rubbing strips. Can't remember which tbh.

Gurds

18. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks! The R5 will have to go in the shed with the other crashed R5 unfortunately.

Cool. I have some new red-stripe bumpers to go on, just need the side stripes :)
    Considering some Koni's or Bilstein Dampers, just to tidy the handling a bit.
    Will fit some braided brake lines and Ferodo pads, and keep the rest standard. Although I may go up a width on the 4 tyres.

19. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Pity about the 5 Sam...rainy day project.

Cool new ride tho...excellent call!...it'll be like driving an auto compared with the Ren...you wont even notice hills!...you may make some new friends tho...keep a look out for flashing blue lights in the mirrors!

Early ones are getting rare now...a mate has a B plate in red...18 years and counting, I've got an A reg white one awaiting some TLC...looks good in silver Sam...great find! :thumbup:

20. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks Jason!
    Yeah, It is quite a bit faster - in fact, I don't know why anybody would need a quicker car on the road to be honest... although I am sure I'll get used to it.
    It is really nice to have a sunroof!

What is the best Mk2 gear linkage? This one has done 90,000 miles and needs replacing!