Mk1 race car (Ex slick 50) and Mk2 daily.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by samfish, May 6, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

Looks good Sam, silver mk2s are nice on the eye ;)

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

That's the 8v effect Sam...;)

Do you need to ask...tho we havn't made them yet for the MK2...coming quite soon tho!

Actually I think smudge does or did some mk2 linkage bits....Tom?

3. Admin Guest

I'm afraid not, I made just a handful when I made mine. maybe wait for the JMR linkage!

The best linkage I have used is my current setup... No slop and it has precision changes, but then it was carefully designed. If you are doing the linkage Sam the worst bits for slop are the ball under the gear stick and the red rubber bushes the rod runs through, maybe replace with bronze?

samfish likes this.
  4. coullstar Forum Member

There was a garage in my old home town where I bought my first GTI that used to have a R5 Turbo race car in the showroom. It was Richard Lawson who used to have the car transporter buisness.

Always though it was cool with the rectangluar side exit exhaust.

5. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks Tom, yeah, I love them in silver.
    I have a look at the linkage to see what I can do - Although I may be lazy and just buy the bits.

Hi Coullstar. Here is the 'Lawson' car in the workshop a few years ago. It may bring back some memories:

[​IMG]

6. coullstar Forum Member

Cool, thats the one.

7. samfish

samfish Forum Member

The Mk1 race car is still in the workshop and hasn't moved for over a year now.

The Mk2 road car had to come off the road for a couple of months as we thought the headgasket had gone - classic symptoms. I have been too busy to do the work myself, so had to pay to put it through my Dad's workshop, which ended up costing me quite a bit!
    The coolant was not circulating properly. The head gasket was done, then the water pump. Flow was checked through pipes and the heater matrix and it was traced to be two pipes put on the wrong way by a previous mechanic/workshop/owner! The gasket was weak, so I am glad that was done anyway.
    The starter also gave up, so I got a remanufactured Bosch one.

We found this sat in the steering column bulkhead gator... any ideas????! I would really like to know the origin!

[​IMG]

A couple of boring shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have some Ferrodo pads and Goodridge lines to go on it when I have some spare time.

This is the hacked-up door I was working on. I saved a chunk of weight from it - and quite enjoyed myself too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a bit neater than the photos suggest, and will be painted.

Plans for the Mk1:
    Damper rebuild
    Set-up changes
    I hope to send the head to Jason at JMR to see how it flows, and if we can improve it.
    New tyres.
    Top mounts.
    Larger fire extinguiser
    - That would soon add to 1000, so I need to see how I get on....

PS: How do I change the thread title to include '& Mk2 road car'?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    vw_singh likes this.
  8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

To edit the title, go to your first post in the thread and edit it in Advanced mode.

Gurds

samfish likes this.
  9. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I have FINALLY got round to working on the race car. Finally.

I have started pulling it apart and realised it needs quite a few bits and pieces before I want to race it again.
    The cage is out and I'll be modifying and making some new removable door bars.
    I'm also spraying the inside (pearl grey) and tidying the wiring further.
    I need to get round to wiring some indicators (all the wiring was removed and re-done, but indicators were missed out) - I'll put a motorsport MOT on it - all the chassis numbers are on the car and I have the V5.
    New bumpers will go on.
    I'm tempted by a fibreglass bonnet from LWS as it will save 8kg, but it depends if more weight needs to go when I'm finished.

The car is actually very very good, but it needs lots of little bits to raise it to something professional that I'd be pleased to put my name on.

The sunroof blank was a bit of a mess and water came in through the rivets, so I have a 1.5mm lasercut aluminium one and closed-end rivets to seal it properly (the steel roof and aluminium blank will be painted before mated, so they don't corrode together).
    I also have a new rain-light mount and some hole blanking discs cut. The discs will be bonded over the numerous holes in a Mk1 floorpan - front bulkhead and seatbelt holes.

11752601_10155747620340702_9140135993585225325_n.jpg 20150723_090143.jpg 20150723_090110.jpg 20150723_090043.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    mitlom, HPR, Sirguydo and 1 other person like this.
  10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I'm back working on the race car again. I hope to be out later in the year, but I've said that before.

The cage needed some extra bars. I wanted to brace the cage to points around the doors and also onto the front bulkhead. I could have put the bracing through to the turrets but I want to keep everything 'bolt-in' to give me the widest scope for championships and regulations. Bracing the cage to the bulkhead should add alot of strength, and I'll make a decent strut brace.

The cage had some added bars from it's past in the Slick 50 championship, these weren't MIG welded particularly well - so I went over everything with the TIG torch. It's much better.
    The other bars were tacked in place with a MIG and then TIG'ed on the welding table.

All the bars and brackets came from Safety Devices.
    The door bars are from a Renault Clio Cage that my Dad developed with them. They only took a slight modification to fit.

DSC_1899.jpg
    DSC_1898.jpg
    DSC_1897.jpg
    DSC_1887.jpg
    DSC_1874.jpg

I'm re-doing all the wiring again too, bringing the battery further forward and simplifying.
    I'll be spraying the interior next weekend.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice work Sam can't beat the Tig welder for this kind of work :)

12. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks.
    The joy of a bolt-in cage is that it can be taken out and welded properly all the way around - it saves having to use mirrors to aim a MIG around corners!
    It will also be easier to spray the interior without a cage in the way.

DSC_1884.jpg

13. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

Good work Sam, hopefully see you out on track soon.

14. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks James :)

I've sorted the sunroof blank. Some people find riveted sunroofs offensive, but I think they are quite fitting for an old race car - nothing fancy, just like it used to be.
    I rolled the aluminium panel through the rollers first, so it was pre-stressed to support the roof. When it was flat, the whole roof was held flat.
    It's important to use 'blind' rivets to keep the water out - no hole down the middle.
    I used skinpins to locate the panel while drilling. These are really handy.
    There's also some PU sealer in there.
    The whole roof is now really rigid.

DSC_1921.jpg
    DSC_1922.jpg

I added bars in the roll cage to brace to the bulkhead. I wanted the cage to be removable, and making bars to the front turret that are also removable would have been a real pain. So I'll hopefully be making some inner wing braces instead
    This is the mount for the bulkhead and onto the B-post.
    I don't really ever use a MIG anymore, so I'm still learning my brothers LORCH machine settings.

DSC_1930.jpg
    DSC_1932.jpg

Any ideas for a colour change would be appreciated. The AKAI golf looks always looked great.
    Have a good weekend.

15. skywalker38 Forum Member

16. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Hey, Thanks!
    This was a TS model (1300cc), no turbo. I sold it to 'Renault UK' last year - they use it for displays and media: https://twitter.com/renaultukpr/status/580716360440934400
    The UK didn't get the 'Coupe' version of the Mk1 Renault 5 unfortunately. We used the TS model in the UK championship for over 20 years!
    We did get the Renault 5 GT turbo 'Coupe' and Clio 16V 'Coupe' afterwards in 1985 and 1991 though. They had lots of interesting factory bits.

I have a TS rally car and this is my GT Turbo 'coupe' (chassis number 90), although it currently has some accident damage and needs a repair :thumbup:
    IMG_0426-1.jpg

Do you have a Renault 5? I enjoy your Mk2 build thread.

17. skywalker38 Forum Member

No I don't,since 2001 I drive VW
    I still regret that I sold my alpine turbo coupe,these are so thin on the ground
    My coupe had never raced even though you had to race it,it was straight away put on liscence I had the HT-76-KB and friend of mine had the HT-74-KB from my knowing there are still 5 or 6 with the same HT-,,-KB liscence plates
    Did the UK versions also had "wider pcd,thicker stabilisers,and the engine was also a little bit towards the dash?
    Still would like to have an 5 alpine though,but it has to be in mint condition because panels for these cars are hard to find especially the rear panels
    I always looked for the Devil cup silencer to use it on my Golf,but these are soo hard to find,I see that you got the sidepipe from Devil

18. samfish

samfish Forum Member

That's such a shame to sell it. The alpine Coupe is so rare. I saw one for sale in Europe 6 months ago for 16,000 euros.
    It was a road one too.
    All of the original racing cars were smashed amd reshelled at some point, so it is very rare for an original she'll to survive. I think my gt turbo one is possible the only original survivor from the UK championship.
    I have a few Renault 5's, and some for spares luckily - getting parts is very hard now, like you say.

I have a Devil silencer from the mk1 Clio 16v championship.... I don't think I want to sell it, but I will let you know if I do!

:)

19. skywalker38 Forum Member

If you might consider to sell it,it would go straight under my Golf then I still got that Renault Cup touch
    It will go to a good home,think about it seriously,thank you:thumbup:

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Sam, are you out in the car at the VW Heritage meet this Thursday?