Mk1 race car (Ex slick 50) and Mk2 daily.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by samfish, May 6, 2011.

1. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks James :)

2. racer66 Forum Member

http://www.performancebox.co.uk/pbsport.html 10hz...

I won this on ebay and the remote antenna and battery pack for 250 [:D]

3. Razzer Forum Member

When I spoke to John at the weekend he thought about 300 +vat

4. samfish

samfish Forum Member

He mentioned 250-300+VAT to me. Not sure if it is totally negotiated yet... maybe that is why we don't have a public price?
    I was under the impression that they had to be 'championship supplied' and tagged units too.
    Hope they don't, for your sake Alex!

5. racer66 Forum Member

That's ok Sam, no plans for VAG trophy right yet, CSCC for me, and the logging is just for personal reference. I could sell it on easy enough though.

Thanks for the regs, looks like I would be class A and then need to run slicks to be competitive etc, maybe next season.

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I "will" open the box soon...promise! :lol:

The new regs look good in many way's and will help draw people in that already have cars almost sutable...maybe ex slick 50 through to 16v converions...then tweek to suit.

The one thing that bugs me with this or any championship is sucess ballast...shouldnt it be the job of the slower cars to catch up/develop the cars...is'nt that part of the enjoyment/challenge?...winning should be the spoils for those that have put the effort in rather than penalised for going too fast in a race car...I'd rather develop to catch the faster cars rather than have them slow up for me to catch them..

Either way it looks like it could be a good/new challenge for all...one other thought...what rolling road is going to be used for the benchmark figures?...hopefully a fair one and not a "quote me happy" one.

On the plus side, car's like Sam's & other old slick 50 war horses can now be made faster with a decent weight saving which will help all round in braking/handling/acceleration without needing expensive extra engine work...class B @ 152hp @ the wheels will see the normal ex slick 50 spec cars with around 130 at the wheels being able to run down to around 850 kg's with a driver...so will be fairly entertaining.

Class A looks good @ 192hp per tonne at the wheels....so If anyone had a sub 160hp @ the wheels 8v in a 850 kilo "all up" car on slicks they'd be in the ballpark to start with...[8D]

7. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I know what you are saying about success ballast Jason.... although I would rather have close racing. Obviously I would rather win, but even if I had an amazing battle for 5th, I would feel like all that money was worthwhile.

Talking of money....

I have been hanging onto hopes of making it to the first race but it is starting to look unlikely - despite working 6.5 days a week.
    A few things have fallen into March and April that have/will cost 100 here and there, which is enough to stop me racing. Especially with the cost of the logger.
    I hadn't bought contact lenses for a few weeks in an effort to conserve cash, but it isn't easy to wear a mask, goggles, ear defenders AND glasses all day :lol:

Boo Hoo Hoo.

Oh, and I think I have deleted my racing blog, entirely. Somehow by fiddling. Nothing backed-up either [8(]

8. samfish

samfish Forum Member

BINGO.
    My brother had backed-up my blog the week before I deleted it.

Just added a quick update:
    www.fishontrack.co.uk

My first race will not be until Mid July at Oulton unfortunately. Looking forward to it already :thumbup:

9. samfish

samfish Forum Member

.....another fish is back on track this weekend.

My Dad is back out after a decade or two, borrowing Simon Gusterson's Mk2 for the Production GTi championship race at Donington on Sunday.
    No testing but a few tweaks to try and get some more pace from the car.

He had success in the late 80's and early 90's, but it was all a long time ago..... and he doesn't want to bend the car! Excuses already?... Maybe!

[​IMG]

10. andyneedham2 Forum Member

Good luck to your pop! Best he's chuffed to be back on track and I'm sure he's got a few tricks up his sleeves from the 80s/90s. Car looks very well.

Andy

11. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks Andy.
    We started on a 16v car, but it only got to a bare shell - money and time put a hold on it.
    Borrowing one is the only way, although I have offered mine. He wants to be in a one-make race though....
    He knows the circuits very well, but may need to take a couple of brave pills to get the lap times he wants! We'll see.... The video never lies!

12. andyneedham2 Forum Member

Oh yes!! ;)

13. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Dad did well. It all started coming back to him by the end of race 2.
    I don't think he has driven a mk2 before, and hasn't driven Donington since '93. After 8 laps qualified 12th out of 19 16v cars.

Very cautious starts, but finished 9th and 8th. Very happy. Lots to come from the car - Chassis and power. More to come from the driver too, but he seemed pretty committed by the end of the day!

The production GTi championship is a nice one. Very friendly people.

14. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nothing like a few laps to blow any cobwebs off eh? Nice! Bet he is still buzzing from it. :thumbup:

Gurds

15. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Indeed. The happiest I have seen him for a while.
    Thought I would share the videos, as I always like watching others.

Race 1:
    [YOUTUBE]vlBijXbbu2I[/YOUTUBE]

Race 2: On its way. Corrupted once.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  16. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Race 2. He gets back in the flow towards the end.

[video=youtube;adHakgpWTwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adHakgpWTwQ[/video]

17. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

Sam, is your dad going to be out at Brands this weekend?

18. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Nah, Simon is having a go in the Production Gti at Brands. Not sure when Dad will be out next.
    Hope you have a good weekend there.

19. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I actually did something towards getting the car ready today.... Only about 4 weeks until race Day!

I mocked up some better door bars. NOT a massive leap forward, but it needed doing. Will order a custom dash bar at the same time.
    The door bars do away with joining tubes in the middle - so reducing the risk of welds splitting and impaling the driver in a side accident.

[​IMG]

One of these helps:
    [​IMG]

Nick Penfold who is out in the VAG Trophy in his Mk1 popped round on Saturday. it was nice to chat, and reassure each other it is all worth it in the end! I hope we can have some good racing together.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  20. samfish

samfish Forum Member