MK1 Racer (ALL BROKEN PHOTOBUCKET PICS FIXED) - Painted and out of the bodyshop....

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 16valver, Feb 27, 2007.

1. seanlazyass Forum Member

I was thinking the same. Also, are you going to weld the cage to the chassis or leave it as bolt in?

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

great thread

Just found your thread, great stuff. Reminded me of my rallycrosser build, nearly every decision youve made is what I did. Two things jump out, and if you dont mind a comment;
    Screen is toughened, I've had one shatter mid race and spat glass bits out, but still finished the heat. Not again thanks.
    The seem welding. I chose to only do the areas of high strees from suspension loadings, specifically the front. Two reasons, time saved, and weight.

Good luck with the rest of the build

3. 16valver Forum Member

Altern8 – Hopefully have it done by March 08. Determined to have it done by then!

Mike + Sean – Undecided. I am not totally happy with how they sit at the moment but don’t know if it is worth the hassle. The only problem I can see is them being punched through the floor in a smash, which would probably mean the shell was scrap anyway. The cage is welded in already on the A-pillars and roof using the correct mounts.

Jon – Thanks. I am not sure I know what you mean re the screen. Are you suggesting to toughen it up some how? I can understand it shattering on your rallycross car, but wouldn't have thought it would be a problem for my application?

Btw, it would be good to see some pics of your car again – if you still have it?

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Still have both, but the rxer is in the corner, not really accessible. Will forward some pics when next available.
    The toughened screen shows up in one of the earlier pics in the thread. You can see the funny wavy pattern in the central section of the photo.
    A sprint car shouldnt be a prob, but scrutineers can be funny animals if they dig their heals in. Now when I build a new racecar I try and make it a bit general purpose, if possible, so it could be used as a one off in another discipline.
    A toughened screen would be lighter tho.

ps. my rallycross car has a crack top to bottom from the last croft meeting, anybody got a screen for sale in the north east, derby or north birmingham area?

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

6. POL

pol Forum Member

got a couple lying about if you want a trip to glasgow. you ever at the glasgow airport RR plant? if so give me a shout. im 2min from it!

7. goof Forum Member

I doubt a couple of grams of mig wire will make much difference in the overall weight of Alis car :lol:

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hi Jon - mk1. on here is in Teeside - possibly worth dropping him a PM

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

screen

thanks guys.
    I'll try 'mk1' first, as he is local.

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Looked for mk1 in the members list and was shocked how many there are....

Chris (or anybody) : Is mk1 his moniker or mk 1 or what...?

Thanks, in advance.

11. 16valver Forum Member

Well, not many more bits to take off the shell now - bar from a handfull of remaining small brakets underneath and the areas I am going to holesaw, I can't see how it is possible to get a mk1 any lighter.

Was looking through Jelly's old thread for pointers, but have done them all (bar hole sawing - which is next on the list) and have also done quite few bits he had not. I am hoping to get it close to his weight of sub 700 kg's - but without the cutting of the front wings that he did as think that will do more harm than good.

Chris, I take it you mean these brackets?

[​IMG]

I have been eyeing them up for a while and can't decide if they are adding any extra proper strength to the shell. Ok to remove - structural or not?

No pics, only a box of redundant brackets/metal to show!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  12. 16valver Forum Member

It's ok Chris - I know what you were on about now - just checked your thread again.

Still tempted to take that whole section I highlighted out though - anyone know what purpose it serves? I assume it was for the rear seats...

13. POL

pol Forum Member

yup it's the rear seat support. i've left them on my car and on my mates. i've cut lots out the rear areas you've shown. pretty much everything to the left is gone. those highlighted bit's have been seam welded and kept so that they help maintain the inner arch or rear 3/4 structure should anything 'happen'. without them and the amount of cutting out i've done an accident involving the rear could see a tyre getting pushed through the inner arch.

14. murrell_mk1 New Member

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    what a thread! when can we see more?

15. H8SV8S Forum Member

Going to be a nice, stiff shell :)

16. 16valver Forum Member

Thanks guys, should be even stifer with the added caging going in.

A bit more stuff to finish off on the shell and a few areas to be welded over the next few weeks then off to get the cage added to. More pics then.

Chris, (or anyone else) where are the spotwelds for these rear seat belt mounting points? Cant find them from above - possibly underneath?

[​IMG]

Mounting the harness on a harness bar, so no need for them.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

opinion

In my humble opinion these are better left in, consider where the rear suspension load goes. There is excess web material in front and rear of this that I have removed. Once removed, at the bottom of the rear trim card area it leaves another sill upper area seam that benefits from a good seam weld. Again, its only my opinion.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Good thoughts there Pol & Jon. I've left mine in. Had been eyeing them up, but will leave them in the light of what'd been added - cheers.

:thumbup: Yep, just the smaller bits inside the main bracket area - two spot welds/side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

cracking stuff

20. infinity

infinity Forum Member

top work!!! Glad its going well!!