MK2 3 door build - turbo'd and 4WD (CAGE PICS ADDED Page 4)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jasongtr, Mar 1, 2014.

1. jasongtr Forum Member

a few teaser shots of the rear arches/sills (well the ns one)

these are pretty much the final patterns, the rear arches were primed today and will be blocked tomorrow, then waxed, mold release and gel coated ready for the molds to be taken - then the final panels will be made. Then the original arches can be cut back and new steel welded in to make the wheel wells bigger.

The sills will most likely have another piece added to them on the vertical section to suit the final ride height, they will be attached with 1/4 turn fixings so can be removed easily (my unit has a slope going in)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nige and 1990 like this.
  2. jedi Forum Member

Very nice fabrication going on, they look like rallye arches on steroids :thumbup:

3. jasongtr Forum Member

aye, thats the look I'm going for, the rears started to have the molds taken today, then he can start the front wings, slightly wider than the fronts and boxed off at the doors so they can have vents added.

4. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Will be watching this with interest as i want to do similar to mine eventually, mine is running 5x100 widetrack also but with corrado 15" speedlines, they have no dish whatsoever and the wheels scrub slightly on the arches, I would like to put some wider, deeper wheels on it also so the arches will definately need doing.

never really seen a syncro rear setup, do they run independant rear suspension? if so thats even better as i was under the impression they were solid beam.
    also what gearbox could you run on a 16vt or 20vt for AWD?

thanks

5. jasongtr Forum Member

yes its independent rear suspension, the syncro rear axle bolts with its brackets where the fwd golf beam does but on the fwd cars the wheels are bolted to the end of the beam, on the syncro setup it has trailing arms off it.

this is a syncro axle with its trailing arms and the haldex brackets welded on (not mine as mine hasn't been painted yet)

[​IMG]

as for the gearbox, if running a 1.8t 20v then you use the S3 gearbox - might be able to use the rallye one but i have a couple of S3 gearboxes - 02M 6 speed.

6. Gup16v Forum Member

Agree with above comment, like a Rallye on steroids

Excellent work so far, Looks like it will be upsetting a lot of expensive cars when its done

7. jasongtr Forum Member

will try and give my mate with his B5 RS4 something to think about - up to certain speeds at least

8. twolitrepinto Forum Member

thanks for the info, there was me thinking if i wanted independant rear suspension it would have to be an r32 setup or similar, this makes things easier!
    will a 6 speed 02M bolt to an ABF block? not fussed about ratios or clutch as theres always options. am i right in thinking that most 4pot blocks petrol or diesel share the same bellhousing bolt pattern?

thanks again! [:D]

9. jasongtr Forum Member

afraid i dont know that mate, but yes syncro rear axle as long as you get the mounting brackets too bolts straight onto the rear beam mounts, if running as a proper road car you might want to consider the syncro boot floor and fuel tank, but I'm just going to weld some box section across the chassis rails and bracket off that for the rear mount and use a fuel cell in the boot.

10. twolitrepinto Forum Member

sounds good, would probably go that route aswell, im talking a long way off yet as im just about finishing 1st year of 3 at uni, these plans are for after ive finished uni.
    My car will be coming off the road soon though for a full strip down so i can atleast start on it. going to give it some welly around lydden hill first though as it is [:D]

11. jasongtr Forum Member

sounds good, if yo can get the syncro rear axle get it when you can as they dont come up very often

12. gti-monkey New Member

hello mate, I've got a very similar setup that i'll be putting into my mk2 either later this year or early next year... what shafts/joints are you planning to use on the rear end, its about the only bits i'm missing for my conversion atm.

13. jasongtr Forum Member

Not entirely sure at the moment. Im using mk3 syncro rear arms so they a liitle widerr. Im also using mk3 vr6 front hubs in the rear trailing arms so I can use 4motion/r32/s3 inner and outer cv's. Ull then be able to use either 4mo shafts or possibly the slightly shorter mk2 syncro ones. Ill know more in a few weeks.

14. jasongtr Forum Member

i now have both final rear arches and the molds - he has only just started the fronts - slow progress but getting there.

i have welded in a complete Audi S3 tunnel, for a few reasons, i can put the centre console in to match the dash if i make it more road friendly, it does give the prop more room without having to alter certain parts of the std mk2 fwd one and its wider at the front for the downpipes of the BAM engine, and as I'm using mk4 rear calipers and 4motion/S3 handbrake cables its a simple solution as all the correct points are in the tunnel for the cables and lever. The only part that hasn't been welded up is where it meets the firewall just incase that needs some clearance for the turbo/downpipe etc.

I've finished stripping the underseal off the bottom of the car, i dont mind telling you that was a crap job that nearly had me throwing in the towel, especially when i went across the top of my hand with an angle grinder with a wire cup brush on it - feck did that hurt - a touch.....

this pic doesnt show it all off - the beam that was yellow in the pic at the back is for the rear diff mount, the cage will also be tied into this beam
    [​IMG]

welded in the cross beam for the rear diff mount - can't set it properly just yet until the engine is mounted up so i can set the prop angle to reduce the stress on the rubber donuts at each end.

Welded in a repair panel in the osf floorpan as some nobjockey jacked it up on the floor at some point and split the seam (and no it wasn't me)

Repaired the chassis rail where over the years an engine pulley (i assume) had started to eat its way into the rail.

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

stitch welded the chassis rails underneath the car and the subframe mounts. Only etched at the moment, no point seam sealing and undersealing until all the welding inside is done, like the cage, seat frame mounts, pedal box mounts etc etc etc etc etc..........

outside
    [​IMG]

inside penetration
    [​IMG]

Got it off the rollover spit today so i can fabricate the engine mounts, I'm going to use the mk4 golf mounts, then i can fit any mk4 type engine like an R32 etc without further messing around, all i have done so far is bolt a bare block and gearbox together set it up on pallets ensuring that the mount points are level, cut the end off a propshaft so i have a reference for the clearance of said prop over the steering rack. Monday ill make sure the car is dead level then set about cutting and welding the metal in that the mounts bolt to, I've already cut these out of an Audi S3 i was breaking, i know some people say the mk2 chassis rails are not strong enough to take the weight of an engine but the way i see it is the weight would be taken be the subframe and front cross member all of which are bolted to the chassis rails, and even then ill be bracing it further ill tie it to the cage.

engine still needs to be moved back a little - about 50mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats it for now.

DC75 and Nige like this.
  15. KentGTiKR Forum Member

It's nice to see someone building Haldex vw. Not so many of them around. Subscribed!
    I have my own blog to post my progress on building my mk2 24v Haldex (also a slow one lol ).

16. jasongtr Forum Member

cheers, the engine is in now, just arranged for a guy to make a custom fuel cell, it will have a hidden fuel filler too (more on that later though)

17. jasongtr Forum Member

fuel tank finished (except the filler and vent so that needs to go back once i know exactly where its going)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made from 3mm ali, welded inside and out (except the top for obvious reasons) and the best part the tank has been made to take standard both parts of the S3 fuel pump and the parts on top were milled from solid billet ali to accept the standard plastic threaded retaining collars.

Cage was ordered tonight. and just deciding what coil overs to go for.

18. The_Teller Forum Member

Loving your work, going to be one very nice and very capable mk2 when you've finished it.

19. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Awesome .....will be watching with interest :thumbup:

20. jasongtr Forum Member

cheers, its twisting and turning as time goes by, 1st it was going to be an out and out track car, then a proper road car, now the wide arches look like they may not be finished, and its gone back to being a track focussed but still road car. Months went by when i didn't even touch it, then decided i might buy an evo, and just a few days ago thought sod it ill use the money i was going to spend on the evo to buy the parts needed to finish this off - time of course won't come as easy as the money so it will still be a while before its done