MK2 3 door build - turbo'd and 4WD (CAGE PICS ADDED Page 4)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jasongtr, Mar 1, 2014.

1. mikey-mk New Member

[:D] That would be massively appreciated, I'll be taking you up on that offer sometime in the future if thats alright with yourself.

2. jasongtr Forum Member

anytime mate

3. jasongtr Forum Member

more money spent on it whilst waiting for the cage to be fitted (its getting there though)

brand new genuine G60 arches

[​IMG]

Alloy rad from a member on here.

[​IMG]

Passat syncro 25mm rear ARB (NOS from VW heritage through classic parts in Germany)

[​IMG]

Lightweight heater - put it next to a normal sized tin of soup just to get some perspective on how small it is, claims to kick out 3kw, bought really to act as a demister but if it can take the chill off on a cold day thats good too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jasongtr Forum Member

double post [:s]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. jasongtr Forum Member

been a while so thought I would add the pics of the cage that's been welded in, I need to make up some gussets that will need to be Tig'd in the gussets will be the following

Full length A pillars
    Top half B pillar (both sides of the tube)
    Roof bar
    door bars
    both main crosses
    dash bar 2x

it is a custom cages cage, that needed most bars re-profiling and in some cases bending again, not a great fit to be honest if left how they made it, the cage fitter said he would junk the crappy sill footplates and make proper pedestals which are internally ribbed, and both front and rear turrets have been plated and the front plates tied into the chassis rails to help strengthen the engine mount points a bit.

The only additional bars that are being added other than can be seen in the pics are to tie the main rear cross to the harness bar.

They added an extra roof diagonal (usually only one) so we used both - rude not to.

I shall let the pics do the talking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1.8T_mk2, rambow, jamesa and 2 others like this.
  6. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Cracking job :thumbup: I`m just in the middle of redoing a lot of my cage and I can appreciate all the work involved in that ! Top effort !

My only tiny reservation would be the seat positioning. My seat back would foul on that B hoop X, which is why I can`t fit one. I`m 6`1" though, so it might not be an issue for you.

7. jasongtr Forum Member

yes Im not that tall, 5'10 (5'11 on a good day) we have had the seat roughly in place with the S3 dash and its looking like it will be ok

cheers

8. jasongtr Forum Member

wide arches look like they may be making an appearance on the car after all.

the biggest issue was the rears were made to suit a custom bumper as a mk2 big bumper one wouldn't of worked, then it was suggested to me to try a corrado rear bumper.

its only going to work......

[​IMG]

a fair bit of metal cutting and arch work to be done, but its looking positive, I need to make the front wing patterns then give them to a fibreglass company to make moulds and final panels, again I may use a corrado front bumper for those to work.

so it could well be that rallye on steroids look after all.

Nige likes this.
  9. Natcholean Forum Member

This is a great build!! I'd love to come and have a look at it in the flesh, even in its current guise - where abouts in Oxfordshire are you? I frequent monthly to work on mine. :thumbup:

10. jasongtr Forum Member

im around the Bicester area

11. Natcholean Forum Member

straight up the A41 from where I live then. Would you mind if I came up some time?

12. jasongtr Forum Member

when are you thinking? where are you coming from

13. dubbuds New Member

I hope Natcholean never met Jasongtr, locked him in a cupboard and stole his project‍♂️‍♂️

I hope all is well and the project is hiding away or even better finished?