Mk2 8v - Removing crankshaft pully wheel for belt change

Discussion in 'Engines' started by C8LNJ, Apr 18, 2007.

1. C8LNJ New Member

Has anyone else went to remove the belt pully to get in & do a timing belt change & come stuck when it wont budge??? Ive so far only managed to snap an allen key, break the mech in my small rachet, & scrape my knuckles[:x]

Is there a trick to this because im about going off my nut here trying to slacken the bolts[8(]

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

you need more than a allen key tbh...get a socket set of hex keys, then the pulley may well need a bash once the 4 bolts are out

3. C8LNJ New Member

I was using an allen key with a length of metal pole to give me some leverage over it...........snaped the allen key.

So then I hacksawed a length of the snapped allen key off to use with a 6mm metric bit & my rachet..............broke it too :|

Oh the joys of driveway mechanics, as you can guess the tool's I do have arnt the best :lol:

4. bigben Forum Member

Go with what pigbladder has said -get the hex socket set. We've all been there with that pulley wheel. Once you get the bolts undone there are another set of holes in it that you can screw the bolts into to push the pulley off (they'll be rusted up so you'll need to chase the threads out) - alternatively give it a good bash as previously said.

5. C8LNJ New Member

Found my hex bits & ive got 3 of them out, 1 is still giving me a headache.........i'll keep at it!!

Do I need to mark which way the pully goes on.........for when I come to put it back on or that??

6. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

pretty sure it will only go on one way i maybe wrong but i think there could be a notch on both that they just sit in right if in doubt jus mark it.

7. C8LNJ New Member

Last ones not wanting to come out...........think ive rounded the facking head off now aswell!! B@STARDS!!! :nothappy:

8. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

...there's always one....

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

get some torx or slpine bits and hammer something in

10. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Have you used Plus Gas on it? It's like WD40, but better.

11. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

yeah torx bits help.

and maybe a bearing puller ( or tap it with a hammer on all sides to break the rust seal) to get the pulley off as that will be on tight

12. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

if in doubt give it a clout i say lol i had to use an old chisel and hammer to get the out in the end make a notch in the bolt/head and tap her round....many end up comin to this anyhow lol

13. Supercharged Forum Member

Irwin Bolt Grippers!!!!!!

14. Phil. Forum Junkie

Chissel the head of the bolt clean off and you should be able to remove the pully straight away then mole grips on the offending stud. Thats if you can't lay your hands on torx or spline bits.

15. C8LNJ New Member

Cheers for the suggestions, i'll get back on it on Friday when im off & fight it to the death :)

16. GTI-G New Member

Get A Torx Bit Thats Just That Little Bit To Bit Line It On The End Of An Extension Bar And Give It A Dam God Smack With A Big Hammer And Drive It In There Get A Ratchet On It And Hey Presto The Thing Should Come Undone. Ps Have You Got The Allen Key Bolts On The Water Pump Undone Yet. They Pigs To. !!!!!!!!!!

17. C8LNJ New Member

I'll give it a go.

Water pump??? I didnt even know I had to remove that lol i'll go check the haynes!

18. Phil. Forum Junkie

I do the water pump pulley bolts the same way as I do any other. 2 good hex or torx of bits with 2 good ratchets working against each other. It's easy til you get to the last one, then I just tighten another back up while loosening the last one, it's easy enough to reloosen it again once it's been cracked. It can still be a pita to do though.

You can get a tool from a member on here, dave2227 i think and here was even a previous post with the dimensions to make one yourself iirc.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  19. mark25 Forum Junkie

i always whack them on their head b4 even starting, then i used a good Q, long series allen key with the hole in the end of a 8" adjustable over the end as an extension. If their that bad i always give them a nip in the tightening direction too, to try and break the seal. Too late now, copper slip on them for next time....

20. C8LNJ New Member

Thanks guys, i'll give it a go with bashing in a torx bit........see how I get on.

Plenty suggestions so im sure i'll get the better of it one way or another :)