Mk2 8v - Removing crankshaft pully wheel for belt change

Discussion in 'Engines' started by C8LNJ, Apr 18, 2007.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm, will have a look at my 16v at some point. I've never purposly tried to fit a pulley on wrong so far :lol:

2. Admin Guest

The pulleys 4 holes are all asymetrical so it will only go on one way, and if you have the lower black plastic belt cover on, you will need to take the water pump pulley of to get at it - or cut it of if your a bit pikey. [:o)]

3. rubjonny

have you done the job on a proper 90 spec mk2? I'm sure on my mates 90 spec I didnt have to remove the waterpump pulley to take the lower cover off, but I did on a pre-90 I worked on recently. Maybe the cover was bust on the post-90 :lol:

Actually, it had power steering so that might have been the difference?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  4. Admin Guest

It was possibly cut, the alternator belt pulley on the water pump has a too close a gap to the intermediate shaft pulley to allow the cover to be taken off. PAS pulleys sit on the outside of this pulley and don't really get in the way.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  5. Admin Guest

Come to think of it on some cars (a K Jet of mine, and possibly a simular set up to the one you worked on), they only have 2 pulley's for the alternater, one on the crank and the other on the alternator this might then leave enough room to get it off. But on most of the cars i have owned they have a third pully on the water pump, it has less squeal when wet.

This pic shows it with the third pulley on the water pump. A bit of topic here.

[​IMG]

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think older cars have bigger pulleys... I've had to swap them over in the past when changing engines from different ages. Don't think you need to take the water pump pulley off on a later car, assuming it's still got the original one on, of course.

7. rubjonny

ahh, and that would also explain why GSF has 2 alternator belt sizes listed :)

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

And for PAS/Non PAS I'd think. Actually... the larger pulley might just be non-PAS cars... the older engines I used were non-PAS.

9. rubjonny

i mean they have 2 non pas, and 2 pas ones! Highly confusing :lol: